back to article Bee boffins prove sesame-seed brain is all you need to play football (well, that explains a lot)

The humble bumblebee can be taught how to play soccer, even though its brain is only around the size of a sesame seed. Previous studies into apoid behavior have revealed a surprisingly complex world. The fuzzy creatures can find their way home despite flying miles away to collect nectar; memorize and recognize objects; and …

1. lawndart

Have the boffins devised a method of teaching the bees the offside rule yet?

1. frank ly

The boffins couldn't understand it so they didn't try.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think the important question is what did they use to do the demonstration as salt and pepper shakers are too big for bees

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge
    Devil

Did the bees learn to fake injuries too

There is a lot left for the bees to learn:

Earn 10 liters of sugar syrup a day just by sitting on the bench, lay on your back clutching a leg pretending another bee hit you, kick other bees in the shins while the scientists are not watching, get paid 100 more liters of syrup for moving from one bench to another...

Otherwise, as far as the brain size is concerned that is spot on.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Did the bees learn to fake injuries too

Your Mrs. Bee leaves you for another bee that has more syrup, lose half the syrup you have saved.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do bees eat pies?

1. Roger Greenwood

"Do bees eat pies?"

I bet they do.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They even get tattoos to show who is the top bee.

https://www.omlet.co.uk/guide/bees/beekeeping/queen_marking/

4. This post has been deleted by its author

3. jake Silver badge

Handball!

That said, my bees are too busy making honey to indulge in such frivolous pastimes. Especially at this time of year ...

4. Rich 11

In light of this remarkable footballing evidence...

...my respect for the demonstrated cognitive abilities of David Beckham has risen. I apologise for once describing him as having the brain of a nematode worm, capable only of following the scent of money.

5. GreggS

Being a referee at local parks level i concur with the headline.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

... and as a regular spectator at league one level I'd say the bees would be over-qualified as referees as it appears they not only don't move around aimlessly but they also have the ability to make reasoned decisions (though from observation it would appear that many of the L1 ref's have been indulging in the sugary treats!)

6. FelixReg

Generalization or missing the point

The paper seems to be behind a pay-wall, so it's not clear whether the evidence of generalization (e.g. the bees pushing a closer, differently colored ball than what they've seen pushed) is truly generalization or whether it's that the bees just don't notice the "closeness" or "color" of the ball.

Put another way, how do you distinguish cluelessness from deep thought?

1. breakfast Silver badge
      Stop

Re: Generalization or missing the point

Of all the places to ask that question...

2. Swarthy

Re: Generalization or missing the point

Well, given that bees have rather good color vision (except for the color red) and this has been extensively documented, I think it is safe to say that the boffins controlled for color vision in this experiment.

Also given that bees can direct other bees to a specific flower at a surprising distance, I would say that "closeness" is not a parameter that bees disregard.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Coming soon

The next phase of the experiment will be to teach bees how to flop.

1. Swarthy
      Joke

Re: Coming soon

They can flop, so long as the whole colony doesn't collapse.

Too Soon?

8. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

I, for one,

welcome our new? stripey overlords.

9. bep

One problem

There isn't an 'odd bee out' to put in goal.

1. Simon Harris
      Coat

Re: One problem

The bees should have aimed for the spot between two grasshoppers...

... jumpers for goalposts.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon