back to article Google mass logout riddle deepens: OAuth token fumble blamed

The baffling mass logout of Google accounts last week was the result of accidental OAuth token invalidation, a cause Google acknowledged, but only to a subset of those affected. On February 24, an unknown number of people who had been logged into their Google accounts found they had been logged out and had to re-authenticate …

1. Manolo
    Linux

KDE calendar sync?

Could that also be why my KDE calendar sync stopped working?

Have been trying to get that to work again, but no luck so far.

It could of course also be one of the many regressions a penguinista has to live with.

1. Oh Homer
      Angel

"routine maintenance"

I.e. one of Google's cubicle monkeys hit the wrong button.

2. streaky

Oh weird this happened to me but I figured it was because I'd recently changed my google account security config.

3. poolr

This happened to me too, around 9am (AU time) I received a notification stating one of the two gmail accounts on my phone had been logged out, approx. 4 hours later the second account did the same.

Assumed it was some token getting nuked from orbit due to a security issue, or perhaps in a far less existing but more likely scenario, fat fingers as they say.

1. jonnycando

Hmmm....

Didn't hit me.....but I'd probably not have noticed....just would've logged back in.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: Hmmm....

It did affect me, and I did just log back in. The warning message - brief as it was - gave no indication of cause for alarm.

1. Patrician

..."The warning message - brief as it was - gave no indication of cause for alarm" ....

It did in a way; it stated that "there was a change to your account"; this could be "alarming" could it not?

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

I got it on a small phone screen, so perhaps I didn't see it. But I don't remember a warning about "a change" just that there was a requirement to log in.

2. David Nash Silver badge

Cause for, if not alarm, then at least caution, for me, was an unexpected notification on my phone asking me to enter my Google password. As the article says, it could have been a phishing attempt.

2. VinceH

"Didn't hit me.....but I'd probably not have noticed....just would've logged back in."

It didn't hit me because I'm very rarely logged in - I only do so when I need to log in for something.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OAuth is a pile of Shit

1. jacksmith21006

"OAuth is a pile of Shit"

LDAP is that you? I would be scared as you do not make sense any longer. Think you will go away as Windows goes away.

2. Jonathan 27

Are you a software developer? If not, how would you know. I mean, sure it's a bit weird that in most implementations to have to post the token request formatted application/x-www-form-urlencoded and read a response formatted as application/json. But overall it's more secure than transmitting the password over and over and easier to implement that proprietary protocols. After the authorization it's very very easy to include that token, whether it is by cookie, header or what have you. Middleware is very easy to find too.

What exactly about OAuth is shit?

P.S. If you're looking this up, the OAuth in question is actually OAuth 2.0.

1. The Original Steve

I'm a Infrastructure guy rather than a dev, but have come across OAuth for hybrid Microsoft stuff and SfB / Exchange integration. Seemed easy enough to make it work.

At a very high level, for someone who's an admin rather than a dev, is OAuth comparable to a sort of web-friendly Kerberos? Tickets/tokens shared rather than credentials?

1. Bucky 2

OAuth vs Kerberos

At a high level, both OAuth and Kerberos are authentication protocols.

The devil is in the details, as usual. OAuth hashes the authentication data. Kerberos encrypts it. OAuth optionally may use a realm. Kerberos requires one. Blah, blah, blah.

1. The Original Steve

Re: OAuth vs Kerberos

Thank you for the high level explanation.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Cloud...

Other peoples computers you have no control over

6. jacksmith21006

Really felt like a OAuth token being revoked. I also believe it is consistent with what happened with the Google WiFi.

Google has built a more secure WiFi product that has a hardware token inside. It uses your OAuth/Google account with the hardware token. If integrity is broken then a reset is a reasonable course of action.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So where is your self proclaimed "security expert" now?

Back flipping burgers and feeling a little bit embarrassed?

8. Blacklight
    FAIL

WTF?

I saw all of my G devices logout, and this was timed when one of my 5X handsets had died, and I was in the process of recovering data and then RMA'ing it.

Mostly this was an inconvenience, and did initially raise an alarm as I was the account section checking if I'd gained another login elsewhere (I'd hope not, I use 2FA).

What worries me more is the OnHub resets! I don't have one, and personally this just adds to why I won't get one. "Key" infrastructure devices, ala routers should not be subject to the whim of an external 3rd party at all, error or otherwise. At worst I'd expect them to sever connections with the Cloud and request you log back in again, but NOT reset and take all the config with it....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like