back to article Centrelink needed 370 extra staff to automate data matching

Automating its troubled Centrelink data-matching program has cost the Australian government's Department of Human Services dearly: almost 370 extra staff were needed to implement it. That was more than 100 staff more than the 254 the Department (DHS) thought it would hire for its “Strengthening the Integrity of Welfare …

1. mr. deadlift

i hate to point out the policy thingo

what's it called, ideolo... something.

something that's not involved in energy policy, oh no.

i thought the incumbent cf-of-public-servants know as the they government were against this kind of large government model.

i trust the irony's not lost on anyone.

furthermore, i for one thank our Keynesian overlords, for paying an operator to automate a stuffed envelope, then paying an operator to expunge it from the record.

while one of the big four are making big margins, while laying off local staff here in melbourne whilst eyeing up big tax cuts and aus post paying good money for ceos, it really is heartening to see the government keep jobs in house.

it's like yes minister, and blackadder all rolled into one, it really shouldn't be this laughable nor enjoyable... but it is, it really is.

2. Diogenes

The Goanna had it right

"As a government I can tell you you're not spending it that well that we should be paying extra."

Kerry Packer 1991

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

Re: The Goanna had it right

Diogenes, you missed out the preceding words: "I am not evading tax in any way, shape or form. Of course, I am minimising my tax. Anybody in this country who does not minimise his tax wants his head read."

3. Rattus Rattus

Saving money was only a secondary goal

The primary objective was achieved, though - putting the boot in to the poor and struggling. After all, that is one of the Coalition's primary reasons for existence.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon