back to article Artificial intelligence 'will save wearables'!

When a technology hype flops, do you think the industry can use it as a learning experience? A time of self-examination? An opportunity to pause and reflect on making the next consumer or business tech hype a bit less stupid? Don't be silly. What it does is pile the next hype on to the last hype, and call it "Hype 2.0". " …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Artificial intelligence 'will save wearables'

I can believe that - as soon as we have AI, that is.

So not this century, then. And that confirms in my mind that wearables are shite and will be for a looong time.

1. Semtex451
      Pint

Re: Artificial intelligence 'will save wearables'

"not this century, then" is harsh even for you Pascal.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes, it is. No, it isn't. Yes, it is. No, it isn't...

AI will save wearables!

No, blockchain will!

No, AI

BLOCKCHAIN!

AI!!1!

BVOAKICHAIN!@!!1! I WIN!!!

crap.

So, there you have it, blockchain will save wearables. Blockchain wins in round 3 of the finals. Thanks for supporting live sport chat! See you next time. Cheerio.

3. Chris G

376%, 60 million units

Those numbers.

Do you think they asked Siri or Cortana?

4. Jim-234

Wearables will remain a niche market till there is a huge leap forward in technology

The simple fact is that everybody wearing a watch is no longer a thing & hasn't been since cell phones became hugely popular.

Wrist mounted devices are destined to be a niche product for the foreseeable future, and the market will be split between very simple & technology heavy.

Lots of people want just a simple activity monitor etc, so they want very light, very long battery life & usually cheap, possibly with some extra sensors added in. Those people don't want some big heavy bulky short battery life expensive device.

There are those that would like a full featured productivity device on their wrist (I love the Samsung Gear 2), but it needs to be tailored to them more & not full of cheap gimmicky "features" and needs to be able to be customized to make it fit exactly how you want it & what features you want active.

Now when there is a huge advance in technology and you can wear a wrist watch that has a pop out holographic projection display that works in sunlight & has touch feedback, so it replaces the phone almost completely, then we might see that start to become the new normal instead of cell phones, but till then, it's a niche & specific market.

5. cantankerous swineherd

distinct lack of brainables.

6. Magani
    Happy

Impressive!

I was blown away by the hitherto unknown (well, to me) ability to have your Apple Wearable carry out exercise for you.

(In the accompanying graphic, the Apple wearable's face contains the text: "Hey Siri start a 30 minute run in the park".)

7. Mark 85

I wouldn't step in it...

If smells like it, looks like it, it's probably BS from some PR/Marketing type.

8. Christian Berger

You'd need a generation of early adopters first...

... unfortunately the wearables market kinda has skipped the "early adopters" phase, so nobody has a clue what to do with such devices. Instead they jumped from "unobtainable" to "big budget mass market" devices which are all alike.

What would have been needed was a phase of experimentation. A phase where it's easy to program and perhaps to add new hardware to it. Have a simple product like this out for a couple of years so a community can form around it... just like with home computers in the 1980s. Don't aim for the mass market yet.

1. ThomH

Re: You'd need a generation of early adopters first...

Isn't that what the Pebble was?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: You'd need a generation of early adopters first...

That was what the Pebble tried (and failed) to be.

You would have needed a bigger Pebble, and several of them, so to speak. The home computer/PC analogy works quite well here. If you started dabbling with computers in the early 1980ies, you had a lot of choice. Most of the names are forgotten now, but there was a wide range, and with local flavour too. Depending on your goals, budget and inclination, anything from 'build your own' to 'off the shelf high performance' was availiable. And, and this is the important bit, you could write your own software. And if you knew you wanted a computer, but didn't really know what for, you'd get one that you could play games on.

And wearables never really went through that phase.

9. Tom 7

There is no such thing

as "saving wearables".

You may be mistaking it for blinging tits.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like