back to article nbn™ to cut the charges ISPs pay for traffic

nbn™, the company building and operating Australia's National Broadband Network (NBN), has announced changes to the network capacity charge (CVC) it charges internet service providers. The CVC is important because it's one of two costs nbn™ imposes on ISPs. The first is the monthly access charge (AVC), a per-month-per- …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How is this good?

I don't understand how this is good for small ISPs. This pricing scheme creates strong incentives to have high contention ratios. And who's better able to have high contention ratios without anyone noticing? ISPs with large, diverse customer bases (i.e. large ISPs). This is pretty much the final nail in the coffin for retail competition in broadband. The only ISPs left standing will be Telstra, Optus and TPG.

1. Sampler

Re: How is this good?

Well, as long as Dodo ends up as dead as its namesake I'll be happy, big group of thundercunting twatbadgers the lot of 'em..

(though, obviously loss of small providers is bad too)

2. trashsilo

Australia pick two for your National Broadband Network ?

1 ) Fast NBN,

2 ) Good quality reliable NBN,

3 ) Cheap affordable NBN.

Large retail ISPs have only picked cheap affordable NBN, at all costs. Speed and quality do not matter as they are selling to end customers and simply want the cheapest price to get as many customers as possible.

Maybe NBN should focus on delivering to the real end customer, 1) Fast, 2) Good quality reliable NBN. There are surely enough bad cheaper services available already and I can see no fast, good quality ones.

NBN should know who their real customers are to achieve success and remember a good service sells itself. Simply get on with that tool to measure consumer quality of service and strict mandates to deliver said quality of service to a customer and NBN may have a chance to fly. As it is many customers know they are being gouged with poor quality and slow NBN.

Same as it ever was...

1. Rattus Rattus

@trashsilo

We were originally going to have 1) and 2). Then the gullible bogans elected Tony Abbott. The irony is that the original design was also going to be much closer to 3) than the current one is proving to be.

2. Adam 1

4 ) didn't achieve 1, never had a chance on 2, and failed quite spectacularly on 3.

Trumbull Broadband Network for you...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NBN, what NBN?

There's no evidence of any NBN in the 'Burb I live in.

4. JJKing
    Paris Hilton

I pick options 1 & 2

Maybe NBN should focus on delivering to the real end customer, 1) Fast, 2) Good quality reliable NBN.

Well unfortunately that's not going to happen until all the FTTN boxes are replace with fibre connections.

Even Paris is upset about the FTTN abortion.

5. Oengus

this should mean ISPs offer faster plans for fewer dollars and the pigs are fully fuelled and ready to fly...

6. Phil Kingston

I'll have a shiny new-style $10 note ready to handover to the first person who shows me an RSP that actually passes on these savings to a customer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like