back to article Supermicro boasts of secret super server Silicon Valley win

Supermicro says it has shipped 30,000-plus servers into a "Fortune 100" company’s Silicon Valley data centre. The company said its customer had deployed that number of disaggregated MicroBlade systems at "one of the world’s" highest density and energy efficient data centres. The data centre has a Power Use Effectiveness (PUE) …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple?

They are in the process of building a new data centre in North Carolina.

Facebook, don't they use their own?

2. Rainer

Neither, I'd say

Not sure if Apple even operates datacentres in California.

And Facebook is all about OCP.

If these are dual-cpu servers, at 16 cores it would mean almost a million cores.

That's quite a lot of VMs or containers.

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

OK, it's for me. I'm data-mining Bitcoins. Well, these servers won't pay ofor themselves you know !!!!!!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

El SuperBladeo

"... SuperBlade supports up to 10/14/20 ES-2600 v4"

ES-2600? Well, the chips are made in Mexico (or is it Singapore now? Keeping up with sweat shop manufacturing is such a pain).

5. TJ1
    Mushroom

Whose DC is it - Intel's maybe?

Intel's formerly vacant chip fabs in Santa Clara [0], maybe? There's an Intel white-paper describing their high density sub 1.07 PUE design [1].

Nuclear because their hot aisles can reach 54 degrees Celsius.

[0] http://datacenterfrontier.com/intel-data-center-new-heights-efficiency/

[1] http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/best-practices/intel-it-extremely-energy-efficient-high-density-data-centers-paper.pdf

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Whose DC is it - Intel's maybe?

Why would Intel buy Supermicro servers? Intel make their own server boards.

1. Rainer

Re: Whose DC is it - Intel's maybe?

That may be a reason why we don't get to know the name of the happy client of SuperMicro ;-)

6. aimlesscat

I'd bet intel

Intel buys alot of servers from their vendor partners and this aligns with designs that they havve talked about in the past.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Probably Apple.

I've seen pallets of Super Micro servers going into the cages of Apple already. Wouldn't surprise me if they bought even more.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like