back to article Trump decides Breitbart chair Bannon knows more about natsec than actual professionals

In case the first week of the White House of President Donald Trump hadn't scared you enough, alt.right news service Breitbart executive chair and now Senior Counselor to the President Steve Bannon has managed to insert himself into the United States' National Security Council. By order of a memo signed with President Trump's …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We need a new icon

"what could possibly go wrong". Joke Alert, Palm Face, Fail, WTF and Eat This are not enough, not anymore.

1. dan1980

Re: We need a new icon

Bert the Turtle?

2. Mr Flibble
      Mushroom

Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time now before this one is exactly enough…

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Nonsense. Just Duck and Cover.

1. My Alter Ego

I was thinking more of this one

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

At least some in America are starting to say publicly 'if he lasts that long' when being asked about the next 4 years.

and it seems to get worse every day.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

"'if he lasts that long'"

I suppose its really dependent on what will get him first. I think we should start a betting pool on what will happen to Lord Baby-hands in the next 4 years:

-- Resigns in the midst of one his tantrums

-- Impeached after one too many Constitutional violations.

-- Dies in attack by another nation

-- Assassinated

-- Dies in an accident (like choking on a pretzel or falling down a flight of stairs...)

-- Medical condition (He is 71, always angry, and eats a lot of red meat; not exactly the healthiest person)

2. redpawn

It will be yet another war soon

After losing all but his ardent supports and having the economy tank for lack of negotiating skills the only popularity card he will have left is to start a war. What dispute he will trump up remains to be seen. With war his options for eliminating rights will grow exponentially.

Bannon is just the man to start a race or religion based war in an attempt to unify the "right" parts of the country. Wish us luck and I hope you readers are not the target.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: It will be yet another war soon

However with his nationalist policies and alienating the military it is likely to be the USA that he declares war on

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Guys, if you're already this deluded and confused in the first weeks, I shudder to think of the state you'll be in when most of Obama's cherished PC 'achievements' are being ripped out by the roots in the coming months, like the weeds they are.

Oh, and the article mentioned this:

"Political operatives are usually not members of the Council."

Then Richard chose not to mention any exceptions to that statement. C'mon Rich, you really think you can try to cast this move of Trump's as "not usual" and just leave it at that? I beg to differ. Just how unusual is it? How many times did Obama do it? Other Presidents? Even if it only happened once or twice, that is a precedent.

YOU were writing this thing, so as a journalist you should have at least googled it. Why didn't you, hmmm? Say, maybe you did, and the answer clashed with your point, eh?

So, this is the vaunted British "we trash everyone" style of journalism? And it depends on leaving out certain kinds of information when trashing certain politicians? I kinda figured.

1. Mark 85

@Bign John -- Re: It will be yet another war soon

"Usually" there are certain things a President should not delegate to others. I daresay security briefings are one of them. I'm sure there's been some Presidents who did it at least once or twice during their term in office but not as a matter of policy like this.

Trump has commented in the past that he's a delegator.. and that will work for many things. The Security Council briefings though? Look at the ones deleted from membership... Director of National Intelligence and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. It is even more confusing when the Director of the Office of Management and Budget ahs been removed from membership but is invited to every meeting.

Very strange happenings... I hope you are right and he knows what he's doing. And let's not drag "look at who else did X" as just because someone else did it, doesn't make it right.

2. SVV

"So, this is the vaunted British "we trash everyone" style of journalism? And it depends on leaving out certain kinds of information when trashing certain politicians? I kinda figured."

I presume from the style and content of your post that you watch things like Fox News. The sort of right wing media outlets that depend on leaving out certain kinds of information when trashing certain politicians.

Still, you can always check the voting results so far on this comments thread to see how people are thinking here. Why not then post again condemning them as "voter fraud" or "fake news".? It's what your new hero would do.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Why not then post again condemning them as "voter fraud" or "fake news".?

It's all 'bots.

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

"It's all 'bots"

So ACME Splaffer is back with a vengeance?

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> "Still, you can always check the voting results so far on this comments thread to see how people are thinking here."

I know how people are thinking here. This article is click bait for Trump haters, so I expect to be downvoted massively. I walk into this sewer knowing that what I say will clash with what most of you expected to enjoy, namely a jolly good Trump-thumping.

I feel someone must do it, just as a doctor must pump the occasional stomach.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: This article is click bait for Trump haters, so I expect to be downvoted massively.

Glad to be of service!

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: This article is click bait for Trump haters, so I expect to be downvoted massively.

Your friends will want to help out too. ;-/

3. Triggerfish

"Political operatives are usually not members of the Council."

Then Richard chose not to mention any exceptions to that statement.

Yes but it does say "usually not", which implies there have been other times this has happened. Whats the problem?

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Oopps, another load of crap from BigJohn. Take cover.

I used to enjoy his rants but now I'm bored with it, can we find another twat or block him?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

No, you may not shut me up, except by pointing out my errors. But you didn't do that. Too hard?

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

> No, you may not shut me up, except by pointing out my errors.

But would you learn from them and promise not to repeat them? Otherwise he's doubly wasting his time.

5. Dave 15

Welcome to modern journalism. Once there would have been a presentation of facts. Now it is all just opinion and usually very biased towards what is wanted.

Best to accept this (it is universal... cnn, bbc, theregister... everyone) and treat all these articles for what they are... joke material

1. Bernard M. Orwell

"treat all these articles for what they are... joke material"

Goes nicely with the joke president.

6. beast666

Well said Big John.

7. JLV

>if you're already this deluded

OK, BJ, I'll bite.

I get that global warming is a partisan thing. Ditto health care. Reps and Dems just don't see them the same way. Agree to disagree.

Now, can you explain the upside from a political campaign operative present on the National Security Council? Rather than the pros? Is that so that hard decisions about how to react to national security threats can benefit from a PR and spin perspective? Vetted for fitting your worldview?

Honestly, you couldn't make this shit up. Even Karl Grove's undue influence on post-invasion troop level planning in Iraq, with the disastrous impact thereof until the surge, does not at all approach this level of stupidity.

How can a Republican administration be this careless about national security? How partisan do you have to be before you think this is a good thing? What if Reps like McCain flag it as stupid, would that wake you up???

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Bannon was also a navy officer serving on a warship for years, and then special assistant to the Chief of Naval Operations at the Pentagon for more years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bannon#Service_in_U.S._Navy

So he's military, which is normal for the National Security Council. And maybe President Trump sees Bannon as a multifaceted guy, eh? Okay, not that many facets, but some. Trump's whole shtick is hiring and firing, if we are to believe the buzz.

And remember, Trump is pledged to shake things up. That means hiring and firing, and actually going with the non-pros maybe. It COULD be that it's those "pros" who are the real problem. Personally I have not been too impressed the last few years, have you?

1. JLV

7 years at what seems to have been Lieutenant-grade rank on a destroyer now qualifies one as an NSC principal?

Hmmm.... right.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

I never claimed that was enough. Presumably Trump sees something more in the man that recommends him. Hey, maybe it's all those video takedowns of the Left that Bannon produced. And I suppose that might also explain the visceral response from the Left at his appointment.

BTW, Karl Rove, George Bush's most evil advisor, was denied (by Bush) a seat at the NSC because Rove lacked any military experience. A Rove with Bannon's experience as a navy officer would have convinced Bush (a military vet) to let him on the NSC. And you pooh-pooh Bannon's seven years before the mast! Tsk.

3. The_Idiot

Glory Road, Chapter 17, Doctor Rufo

Sigh. No - I'm not going to put the quote here. I'll put something else. How about 'impossible questions, 101'. Here goes:

Q1: Which of these three tenets do you hold most true?

A: Democracy leads to the greater good.

B: Democracy leads to the greater bad

C: Democracy is irrelevant, because nobody can agree WTF it means.

Answers that do not include a definition 'democracy' will get zero marks.

Answers that define 'electoral systems' instead of 'democracy' will get zero marks.

All students who actually try to answer the question will be submitted for immediate psychiatric evaluation.

Sigh. I know. I'm an Idiot... :-(.

4. cantankerous swineherd

"all terrorists are Muslims"

counterexample https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_McVeigh

hth. hand.

1. gnasher729 Silver badge

More counterexamples are any number of Irish terrorists, who apparently received quite a bit of financial support from the USA. Or the ETA in Spain. Or the Tamil Tigers.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "all terrorists are Muslims"

I'm amazed how many people managed to forget Northern Ireland in the '90s. I was a kid in the US at the time, but I can still remember regular reports of car bombs (IEDs), cop killings, and people walking into buildings and just opening fire. If that doesn't count as terrorism, I don't know what does. And there weren't any Muslims there, just Catholics and Protestants.

Of course, there's tons of older examples, like Sherman's march to the sea. Where an American army burned every field, slaughtered any livestock and destroyed any home they could as they walked through the South. But some people would like to forget anything that happened 150 years ago.

Muslims, by no means, have a monopoly on terrorism. Terrorism (and other forms of asymmetric warfare) is the default strategy when facing an opponent with a vastly superior military and economy.

"car bombs (IEDs)"

IED = Improvised Explosive Device. The term covered a lot of sins.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

IED = Improvised Explosive Device. The term covered a lot of sins.

Bombs in cars or bombs from the sky,

What's the difference when the innocent die?

2. Triggerfish

I'm amazed how many people managed to forget Northern Ireland in the '90s.

I was living in Londn, thats why I don't get the we should fear all Muslims thing, by all rights I should be terrirfied of anyone Irish, the sound of an Irish accent on a plane should make me worried they are going to hijack etc.

But I can see that realistically thats all bollocks, so dunno why Muslims are not getting treated with the same level of rationality.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. genghis_uk

By the 90s they had largely stopped bombing in England as the political process started, leading to the Good Friday Agreement in 1998.

You should have grown up in England during the 70's and 80's to witness the real horrors - car bomb outside Harrods just before Christmas, Victoria Station in rush hour etc. Apparently 19000 (yes, 19 thousand) devises were exploded in the UK between 1970 and 2005 - from Wikipedia so treat with caution - It felt like there was a bomb every week when I was a kid so I can believe it.

At no time during this did we feel the need to spy on the whole population (ok, some Irish were probably incorrectly targeted), nor did we feel that we needed to wall off the border. In fact the general feeling was anger against the bombers, not fear of the Irish in general and they were not persecuted as a nation.

1. Triggerfish

Born in 70's so lived through that in London, I was once standing at a station about 30 years later in Manchester when a little old (white) lady left a bag and wandered off, my first thought was she may be leaving a bomb. Being that paranoid about bags unattended had obviously filtered through.

It used to get boring as a kid being evacuated from various shops because of a bomb scare it was just part of a shopping experience.

Never grew up with a fear of muslims, when I was a kid there was no troubles with fundamentalist sects. Now there are fundamentalistic sects still don't equate that to the average muslim.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Well said mate, we just got on with it, didn't we? Terrorism was a real thing in England in the 1970/80s. Yet the UK still has an open border with the Republic of Ireland because the respective leaders actively tried to solve the problem. Not so sure it would happen now though.

1. d3vy

"Well said mate, we just got on with it, didn't we"

I've had this discussion with someone at work recently - Though I was born in 82 so was too young to be aware of most of it I was most definitely aware of what was going on in the 90s.

Like many things (kidnapping, crime etc) the level of fear has gone up despite the actual incidents going down.

What are people afraid of in the UK at the moment? Terrorism. Has terrorism become more prevalent in the last 10 years? No, it has significantly reduced to the point that people born in the 90s don't really equate terrorism with anything other than Islam... which feeds nicely into the other thing that people are starting to fear in the UK (anyone with a slightly darker shade of skin than themselves - unless it was derived from a bottle or from a session at tanneriffe above the bookies)

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> I'm amazed how many people managed to forget Northern Ireland in the '90s. I was a kid in the US at the time

In '89 or '90 I stayed one just night in Belfast on business and my hotel was bombed!

[Not badly I hasten to add - they weren't targeting the guests, just the hotel for non-payment of protection money.]

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

You know the feeling when you walk into a meeting for a new project. You look around and see maybe a couple of familiar faces amidst the sea of strangers, known obstructionists etc. You give each other a nod because you know you're going to be the ones doing the actual work.

Maybe that will happen here. The pros give each other the nod, convene an actual working meeting and do sensible stuff but keep telling the Trumpets that everything's going just the way that was agreed in the official meeting.

Meanwhile https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171928 is heading towards the million mark. (Actually I think it ought to have said he should be held at the airport & deep-vetted before being allowed in, if at all.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think it ought to have said he should be held at the airport & deep-vetted before being allowed in, if at all.

If by "deep" vetted you mean the activity involving thick rubber gloves and optionally some stuff to reduce friction (if you're really really politely asking for it) I would agree.

After all, you can never be too sure.

1. james 68

Maybe Trump should ban Americans from entering America (and yes I know tomato/tomayto what with him already doing that to the ones with not quite white enough skin). American government officials did after all supply the IRA with weapons and funding during the Raygun and Bush 1.0 periods - openly holding fundraisers even, as did quite a large section of the American public.

That I guess is the "special relationship" for you. "Do as we say, when we say it and no complaining about US funding terrorists who try to kill and maim as many of you as possible. Oh? what's that? you want reciprocal trade deals and extradition treaties? LOL! yeah, we'll get right on that......"

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

If by "deep" vetted

I failed to keep up with the current jargon. I think "extreme" is the current term. Whatever, it should include DNA analysis to see if there's a rational explanation for his being orange. And that hair.

1. phuzz Silver badge
          Joke

I'm pretty sure 'extreme vetting' is when you do it whilst bungie-jumping.

3. Stoneshop
        Flame

optionally some stuff to reduce friction

In which case you want a lubricant with a high Scofield rating.

6. Denarius
    Unhappy

familiar behavior

having suffered merkin multinational governance (cough), the current head of the USSA is behaving exactly like any other CEO from that decaying empire. Image is all. Check reality at door or airport. Listen only to inner circle of yes droids.

One wonders if this is like living under god emperors, eg Pharaohs or Norks ? Will this initiate a plot by TLAs who feel slighted that they are not at all tables of power. A rerun of Praetorian Guards versus emperors in Rome internal power struggles perhaps as history repeats.

A conspiracy enthusiast might also wonder if the manufactured outrage is a diversion from something seriously nasty happening behind smoke. Our little bunch in Oz pulled this off over Xmas/New Year.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: familiar behavior

A conspiracy enthusiast might also wonder if the manufactured outrage is a diversion from something seriously nasty happening behind smoke. Our little bunch in Oz pulled this off over Xmas/New Year.

I was wondering the same - what's so special about the countries he selected, and what about the countries he "forgot"?

1. Mark 85

There's been several articles in the <cough>"fake news"<cough> media (CNN, NYT, etc.) about business ties to those not on the list.

I'm wondering if I and most of my fellow citizens have been doing psychedelics as this whole thing is very surreal.

1. HausWolf

Brietbart and Fox news are the largest purveyors of fake news.

2. Palpy

Re: Countries targeted vs countries not targeted:

The targets of the ban are countries in which the Trump Organization has no business interests.

From NPR, though much the same has been written on WashPost, NY Times, Fortune, and elsewhere:

"He has a lot of properties, mostly golf courses in the United Arab Emirates. He has luxury towers in Turkey. In recent years, he's also formed companies in Egypt. And in 2015, his daughter, Ivanka, who's had a very prominent role in the Trump Organization said that she was looking at what she called opportunities in the United Arab Emirates, Qatar and Saudi Arabia. The Trump Organization has all kinds of operations in other Muslim-majority countries outside of the Middle East like Indonesia, Azerbaijan."

"...according to his campaign financial filings, he does not have business interests in those countries where he's imposing these new restrictions. Now, it's fair to point out that these countries do have very serious problems. They've had civil wars. They have extremist groups there, and that raises concerns. And those are reflected in U.S. Immigration vetting systems that we have in place already."

"So that list has raised the hackles of ethics experts. They fear that this list was shaped at least in part by Trump's desire to remain on good terms with the governments where he is doing business."

1. netminder

Re: Countries targeted vs countries not targeted:

15 of the 21 9/11 hijackers came from the same country. A country that is not on the list. A country known to have financed the 9/11 attack, if not officially certainly tacitly. The EO not only does not make the nation more safe it demonstrates to Muslims that the US really is at war with them which suits the propaganda efforts of ISIS and similar.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>what's so special about the countries he selected, and what about the countries he "forgot"?

Among the ones he forgot are the ones who responsible for 9/11 and who created ISIS

4. Twilight

There are rumors (possibly proof too - I haven't looked hard) that Trump has business interests in the not mentioned countries.

Most of the ones not mentioned are ones that would create a massive headache for State if Trump included them (so maybe he did talk to someone that gave him some good advice). I can't see it going well if he included Saudi Arabia or Egypt (or others).

1. This post has been deleted by its author

5. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: familiar behavior / selection criteria

Well, for starters: there are no Trump hotels, resorts or golf courses in Iran.

1. Afernie

Re: familiar behavior / selection criteria

"Well, for starters: there are no Trump hotels, resorts or golf courses in Iran."

On the plus side, if they keep losing cash at the spectacular rate they have, there won't be any Trump golf courses in Scotland either. Not that that should concern the tangerine tool, because of course he's supposedly "divested" himself of those interests...

6. P. Lee

>Our little bunch in Oz pulled this off over Xmas/New Year.

Ha! That's exactly what I told my wife as soon as the news broke about the Xmas/NYE terrorist threat in Melbourne. I said, "That's very convenient. Just you watch, there won't be another word about it - the whole story will just disappear without a trace."

Far be it from me to say they made it up, but I'm reasonably sure there are enough non-problematic crazies around that they can (and do) pull a story out of their [hat] whenever its convenient for PR purposes.

Does anyone wonder why people are fed up with the current system which seems to consist of pure deceit? No one cares if the politicians are technically truthful if the intent is deceit. It's makes people tired and long for change. When all the mainstream politicians are doing the same thing, you end up with a Trump. Don't blame the people, blame the politicians who manage to make him look good.

7. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Cornell's Legal Information Institute has the text of US Code § 3021"

Which says Senate advice and consent is required. What will they do? Any guesses?

1. FrankAlphaXII

Based on how spineless Congress is, not a fuck of a lot would be my answer.

"not a fuck of a lot would be my answer."

So no assent then?

8. Dan 55 Silver badge

Well this is an interesting experiment

How long can an bunch of alt-right* nutjobs last in the White House bunker, churning out Executive Orders while removing/demoting/firing other people in other branches of government that inconvenience them?

We're about to find out. What fun.

* Or another adjective like hard-right or fascist... We're about to find out what they really are too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well this is an interesting experiment

Dan, you ask how long? As long as it takes to remove the stench of incompetent misrule from the White House, that's how long. Better buckle up, it's going to get bumpy. Oh, and the workers of the US are pretty much on President Trump's side, and we do understand that your ire is really aimed at us, not Trump.

Happily tho we don't get all worked up about what losers say.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

You talk about previous incompetent misrule, I haven't seen anything this incompetent come from the White House in a long time.

Oh, and the workers of the US are pretty much on President Trump's side, and we do understand that your ire is really aimed at us, not Trump.

Reading comprehension isn't your forte I see... and who's 'we'? Are you speaking for those workers like NY taxi drivers who went on strike at the airport yesterday in protest? Didn't think so.

Happily tho we don't get all worked up about what losers say.

That'll be why Trumplethinskin is still going on about the inauguration photo.

2. codejunky Silver badge

@ Big John

"and we do understand that your ire is really aimed at us, not Trump"

I am not entirely sure that is true here in the UK. There is a lot of anti-democracy/extreme crying going on at the moment over brexit but the people really dont seem to know who to blame for it, there is no figurehead for them to attack just a bunch of politicians of all parties and the majority vote to leave. After the misguided effort to characterise brexit as some kind of racism/xenophobia/protectionist/isolationist and various other mistaken arguments there is a lot of rage and hatred in the UK, from those who cant handle the result.

We have to admit that Trump made himself an easy target by promoting himself with some very non-PC comments and some even the non-PC would cringe at. It doesnt help that media is willing to misrepresent him plenty too (the article on the reg about his staff using personal email with no evidence or reason to assume misuse must be suspect!) has made him a singular person representing the various things upsetting people here.

And as you point out he wont be making people on the left happy as he undoes Obama's work (seen good or bad). The hysterics are more visible as I have actually read some comments by some of the UK seriously left and butt-hurt actually claiming to miss Bush as a republican candidate (people who saw Bush as some sort of devil previously).

Either way I have nothing against Americans regardless of who gets voted into the white house. A single person does not define everyone or even most people

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"After the misguided effort to characterise brexit as some kind of racism/xenophobia/protectionist/isolationist and various other mistaken arguments there is a lot of rage and hatred in the UK, from those who cant handle the result."

And now Trump is catching it. Good thing he's tough enough to handle all the poo being flung his way.

Say, doesn't this mean that a lot of UK politicians owe Trump for taking the heat off them? Pretty lucky...

2. Dr_N

"After the misguided effort to characterise brexit as some kind of racism/xenophobia/protectionist/isolationist and various other mistaken arguments there is a lot of rage and hatred in the UK, from those who cant handle the result."

Thee certainy was/is. Hardly misguided.

Mr codejunky-hordes-of-Turks-invading-Britannia.

You are still at the fear-mongery, I see.

1. codejunky Silver badge

@ Dr_N

Can I ask you to translate that please?

1. Dr_N

>Can I ask you to translate that please?

Thee=There My bad.

In short you are/were a brexiteer fearmonger spreading faux news and misinformation.

Specifically about hordes or Turks ready to wash over England due to a possible visa waiver agreement with the Schengen area.

@ Dr_N

"Thee=There My bad."

Np, I kinda gathered that but it was the rest of the post that puzzled me.

"In short you are/were a brexiteer fearmonger spreading faux news and misinformation."

In your opinion. However the various economic arguments for leaving and regular disproving of remain 'facts' were never addressed.

"Specifically about hordes or Turks ready to wash over England due to a possible visa waiver agreement with the Schengen area."

You brought this up before if I remember right. Isnt this the thing I commented on when the actual EU politicians were stating clearly that they should not allow Turkey to blackmail them because Turkey was successfully backing the EU into a corner. Something of a legitimate concern at the time (newsworthy even by the pro-EU media!). This of course followed the legitimate concern of ever closer union, EU promises to the UK being demonstrated as worthless and I cant remember if Germany had made its migration slip up but Greece had certainly already threatened to send terrorists to Berlin. Or do you consider me fearmonger for pointing out these events?

1. Dr_N

>You brought this up before if I remember right. Isnt this the thing I commented on when the actual EU politicians ....

No. It's where you were parroting a totally false story about millions of Turks swarming into the UK based on a report of a low-level FCO person suggesting easier UK visa requirements for Turkish VIPs.

I see it's difficult for you to keep your fearmonger lies straight after a while.

Keep working at it. You'll get as good as the pros eventually.

@ Dr_N

You could have just said yes. Yes that is the uncomfortable truth which made a fair point at how the EU was struggling with its position and not handling the situation too well. But I guess since immigration is only one part of the reason I am happy too have voted leave while the Turks seem to be the only thing on your mind I can see why you dont have anything new to say.

1. Dr_N

Ahh, been reading the "alternative facts" playbook, I see.

The reason I keep bringing up your "Turkish" lie is because if the enormity of it.

Carry on lying. It seems to be a good working strategy for now.

@ Dr_N

Lying? Are you denying the EU was struggling with the Turkish negotiations and feared being blackmailed? Or that Greece didnt threaten to offer passports to anyone including terrorists if they didnt get their way? Or the ever closer union objective?

I still note you wont engage on economic points only immigration. Sorry but I wont be the racist or xenophobe you seem to want me to be.

1. Dr_N

Nicely side-stepped.

We are not talking about economic or immigration points.

Just your falsehood and spreading of outright lies.

Which fits very well with the subject of this article.

@ Dr_N

"We are not talking about economic or immigration points."

Your right. We is plural and out of us only I am addressing the various issues including your favourite- Turkey. And if all you want to do is keep posting 'lies, lies, just falsehood and lies' then I think our discussion is pretty much over. Surely we can both agree to that?

3. smartypants

"After the misguided effort to characterise brexit as some kind of racism/xenophobia/protectionist/isolationist..."

You must be the only person here who believed May's bollocks about brexit being the UK "embracing the world". I haven't seen a single brexit debate where the chief themes of brexit supporters weren't chiefly jingoistic nationalism, obsession with immigration and the portrayal of fellow europeans as some sort of enemy. About a third of the comments manage to weave in some nazi reference. EU Jackboots! 4th Reich! etc... About 2/3rds of the comments are nothing more than shouting obscenities, and pretty much all of them cling to alternative-facts.

So please, do pretend that brexit support is based on a noble, rational exploration of a better future for us all, but do keep this delusion to yourself.

@ smartypants

"You must be the only person here who believed May's bollocks about brexit being the UK "embracing the world""

Hell no. Cant say I trust her and I dont really know what her vision for leaving is. I do accept and believe that brexit should be about embracing the world (get out of the cartel and not get dragged down with them).

"I haven't seen a single brexit debate where the chief themes of brexit supporters weren't chiefly jingoistic nationalism"

I can understand that, it irritates me too. Every time I try to talk about economy, democracy or trade I end up with someone banging on about immigration. And not a sensible discussion about immigration, just someone branding anyone who votes leave as a racist or xenophobe. The nearest the discussion gets to anything else is always 'bad news because of brexit'/'good news because we have not left the EU yet'. There are a few who are so blindingly EU-nationalist demanding we join the euro and the EU become one nation but they seem about as few and far between as the actual nationalists voting leave to lock everyone out.

"About a third of the comments manage to weave in some nazi reference. EU Jackboots! 4th Reich! etc... About 2/3rds of the comments are nothing more than shouting obscenities, and pretty much all of them cling to alternative-facts."

No kidding. The number of times leavers are called nazi, I feel for you as I too understand the irritation. It does nobody any good shouting xenophobe or remoner but that seems to be the level of discussion people are happy with. This is where I would like those who voted remain (because they want to engage with the world) and those who voted leave for the same purpose to band together and make a good go of leaving the EU without slamming doors on the world. I am sure such reasonable people must outnumber the extremists of both sides.

"So please, do pretend that brexit support is based on a noble, rational exploration of a better future for us all, but do keep this delusion to yourself."

Why must it be a delusion? If we leave it to racists and remain voters who want the EU or UK's doom then there is little chance of this working out. If we leave the EU (not cut them off, just leave) then there is a very good chance of making something good of it.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Dr_N

>Happily tho we don't get all worked up about what losers say.

↑0 ↓42

Good to know.

5. LionelB Silver badge

Oh, and the workers of the US are pretty much on President Trump's side,

At least until his ludicrous economic "policies" implode on them, that is.

2. Triggerfish

Re: Well this is an interesting experiment @Dan55

I'm reminded of something called the incident pit, cant' help wonder if it's going to carry on and on, just with political changes rather than errors.

Big John is basically one of those guys who spends all his time working grease into the slope.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How long can an bunch of alt-right* nutjobs last in the White House bunker, churning out Executive Orders while removing/demoting/firing other people in other branches of government that inconvenience them?

Well, Tony Blair managed it about 10-odd years or so, but Trump is limited by law (well, currently) for only two terms which makes it 8 years, and add a similar duration to that afterwards to clean up the mess (which, of course, will be blamed on the successor instead of on the party that caused it - again as in the Tony Blair years).

On the plus side, maybe, just maybe, the US voters will have worked out by then just how spectacularly they've been lied to and eject the Republicans from the Houses too. If there's more than a 10% difference in votes it will no longer be possible to influence voting without it becoming very visible, so there's your target delta..

9. FrankAlphaXII

I have a book for Trump and Bannon, if either of them actually read.

Its called Seven Days in May, and its the story of what an overempowered Military does when it gets slighted by a President who thinks he knows better than them. In the end, the JCS doesn't win, but its because of the President's advisors that they don't. I wouldn't have that much faith in Flynn, Bannon, Tillerson, and Prebius.

At this point, it wouldn't take a Brigade to seize the National communications infrastructure like in the book either. NSA has its hooks in everywhere and they could just flip the switch.

If Trump doesn't terrify you enough, the prospect of the reaction to him going in that direction as well as the fact that the American people trust the Military more than officials in either branch subject to elections should.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Or Twitter could just stop sending his tweets.

If they got bots to reply to him, he might not notice that he has been overthrown

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"...its the story of what an overempowered Military does when it gets slighted by a President who thinks he knows better than them."

Yet nothing happened to Obama despite him fitting your description perfectly. It figures tho, since most of the US top brass who might have opposed him were purged by Obama over the last few years as part of his drive to weaken our military. Expect to see some of those victims reinstated by Trump, and the toadies who were left behind to wussify the US military might want to consider early retirement.

1. Bernard M. Orwell

" wussify the US military "

You actually believe, in an era of superpowers with long range nuclear capability that having a few hundred men either running around on a beach shouting "hoo-yah, 'murica!" or parading around with ribbons for coluring-in hanging from their chest makes any significant difference to the world whatsoever? You think that patriotism will protect you from the sort of war that would be fought now? In about the same amount of time that the overhanging brow brigade would realise there was a conflict, it would be over and we'd all be ashes. No amount of "Don't tread on us" will be of worth, get that through your unsually dense skull.

Those troglodytes who think military might makes right belong in the last century at the very least. Just like ISIS. Any path or attitude that brings us closer to war is the province of the low-intellect alone.

Keep banging the rocks together, that's the secret you know.

@ Bernard M. Orwell

"You actually believe, in an era of superpowers with long range nuclear capability that having a few hundred men either running around on a beach shouting "hoo-yah, 'murica!" or parading around with ribbons for coluring-in hanging from their chest makes any significant difference to the world whatsoever?"

I want to point out that al qaeda nor ISIS have nukes and yet their manpower presence is all they need. It is manpower that attacks a place after the initial assault and it is manpower that holds captured territory and repels return assaults. It is still manpower that stalks the ground currently in the middle east as special forces and the vast logistics behind them and they are trying to fight back against forces that use the principal of might makes right.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So glad you are not in charge of the 'football'

Bernard M. Orwell, if you truly believe having nukes means you never have to fight another war then you are a sadly deluded fool and I pity you. Ever wondered what would happen if someone started tossing those things around every time they needed to use 'the Big Stick'?

Unfortunately there are still people who do believe Might Makes Right and they can just waltz in and take what they want - take that nice Mr Hussein al Tikriti who had been on Iraqi television boasting how they didn't need to steal American nuclear triggers because they had made their own... funny how nobody mentions that when claiming Iraq had no weapons of mass destruction, isn't it?

Maybe you think George Bush Snr should have just lobbed a few tac nukes into Kuwait and Iraq rather than putting in the boots n the ground?

AC because I do remember these things and I know how far some revisionists will go to protect their own little delusions...

1. Dave 15

Re: So glad you are not in charge of the 'football'

Because someone says they have something doesn't mean they do. If there were indeed these weapons then where the hell did they disappear to? I can't really imagine the gun toting Americans being the least bit shy about parading the successful capture for everyone to see while reinforcing just how just the invasion was can you?

No, it was an invasion, it was driven either by desire to control an oil producer or by the desire to control the currency used in oil dealing depending on your point of view. It was backed by an idiot war crimes guilty toady in number 10 who should be hanging in a gibbet now.

The issue now of course is that having removed the dictator we failed to sort out the power vacuum left and we have a mess. If only we had stayed clear of Libya as well then we might see that situation would have resolved itself as well, but no, some idiot had to interfere. Given the long history tends to suggest that America funded, trained and armed these people in the first place perhaps its just tough poop.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Big John

Is it a coincidence that you are named after a brand of toilet for.. shall we say "Larger arsed" individuals?

You both appear to be full of the same thing.

3. Triggerfish

I have a book for Trump and Bannon, if either of them actually read.

Its called Seven Days in May

For a bad moment there. I thought someone had already achieved Rule 34 on the special relationship.

1. JetSetJim
        Coat

7 Days in May

It's the sequel to One Night in Paris

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

still here and still want

refugee status elsewhere

not a lot has changed

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"President Trump's custom-built minipen"

That was my favourite bit. I chortled. The rest was, by turns, depressing and alarming.

12. thomas k

"custom-built minipen"!?

He could easily an off-the-shelf Kaweco Sport (~$25) un-capped or, if he wants something more luxurious, a diminutive Pelikan M320 in marbled orange (to match his complexion).

13. Baldy50

Deutsche Telekom (T-Mobile), BMW, Mercedes-Benz and the supermarket chain REWE and others have been ordered by the Deutshbag to not advertise with Breitbart. FYI

Source Gatestone Institute.

Lefties take a gander, please!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing to worry about, move along please

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lesterfeder/this-is-how-steve-bannon-sees-the-entire-world?utm_term=.amld4rgJdX#.sgQjJxRWjV

1. Palpy

@ AC -- thanks for the link.

I hadn't seen much on Bannon's purported core beliefs, so this was quite interesting.

Casting WWII as Christians against atheists is, IMHO, not very realistic. And Bannon's contention that "hard-nosed capitalism" will raise up the working class is trivially disproved by the current, and increasing, gap between the ultra-wealthy and the rest of us. Clearly, "hard-nosed capitalism" actually benefits the extremely wealthy; the rest of us face eroding wages and, at the low end, grinding poverty.

While the current administration's vision is at present somewhat chaotic, some of their stated goals include reduction of taxes on the very wealthy, and complete elimination of taxes on inherited wealth. Essentially, firming up a permanent American oligarchy in which dynastic wealth rules the economic sphere and hence, of course, the political sphere.

Which leads to an extrapolation: Bannon's ideal world might be the modern equivalent of 12th-century Europe, in which the peasants live and work like dogs, adore Christ on pain of death, and provide fodder for the "righteous" wars initiated by the ultra-wealthy ruling oligarchy.

That's how I read between Bannon's lines, anyway. He's slippery, though.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge
      FAIL

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lesterfeder/this-is-how-steve-bannon-sees-the-entire-world?utm_term=.amld4rgJdX#.sgQjJxRWjV

One of his comments at the start:

"Just to put it in perspective, with the assassination that took place 100 years ago tomorrow in Sarajevo, the world was at total peace"

Well - if his whole thesis is based on such an untrue statement like that (even a cursory scan of Pikiwedia or a look at proper history books and sites will tell you how utterly wrong his statement is..) hardly likely to be any more correct than the founding premise.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I would not have described the UK as "Judeo-Christian West"...for a start the main religion is protestantism and secondly -apart from a couple of bits of Ireland- we just don't take religion all that seriously. The UK was a -if not the- major player on our side in that war and trying to identify the UK population under a religious flag -any flag- is a nugget of purest bollocks.

15. Not That Andrew
    Big Brother

Isn't it past time to start using Neo-Nazi instead of Alt-Right?

1. Hollerithevo

Name them for what they are

There are various organisations for the promotion of 'man-boy' love aka pedophiles. They re-name what they do in order to make it acceptable. 'alt.right' is THEIR word. My phrases are 'neo-nazi racists' or 'anti-semitic white supremacists'. I refuse to use their soft-pedal, innocuous-sounding self-naming. If they were really proud of what they stood for, why do they mush-mouth their own name?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Name them for what they are

Don't forget "Poopoo Head..."

16. Milton

Trumpty Dumpty's Men: Beyond Parody

Since the presence of a ... man ... like Bannon at anything more important than a redneck barbecue is beyond any kind of parody, almost any truly ridiculous answer is as good as any other.

Therefore I nominate this searing piece of investigative reporting as the clue:

http://www.theonion.com/article/white-house-staff-reminded-place-lids-firmly-trash-55168

Yup: they needed an excuse to keep him away from the trash.

17. aregross
    Mushroom

Dr. Strangelove...

How long before a Jack Ripper deploys his own 'Plan R'?

That's what I'm afraid of.... oh wait! Trump = Ripper?

18. Ilsa Loving

For the love of...

Would someone give the man a blowjob already, so we can move on?

19. Anonymous C0ward

Well, we know who the new Goebbels is.

20. EnviableOne

So for the NSC you need military experience, I am sure Bannons 7 years in the navy match the experience of the Head of the joint chiefs, and the Director of National Intelligence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Dunford

50 U.S.C. § 403-3a requires either the DNI or DDNI to be an active military officer.

As to the assertion that all current terrorists are Muslim, Trudeau just declared the guy in Quebec as a terrorist, and there's no way he's Muslim.

IMHO all religions have their share of idiots, and 99% of their devotees adhere to a message that Peace is the desired state of affairs and that killing people for any reason is wrong. the 1% are looking for any excuse and it just so happens that the language of religious texts, lends itself to being bent to their cause, if you ignore the other stuff that goes the other way.

21. Gravis Ultrasound

What a garbage article, is this what the formerly IT site is going squirt out! Left-wing tweets about anything Trump?

The reality is that the United States' National Security Council will function, de facto, exactly as it has done for decades. The additions/subtractions are merely formalizing what's going on alraedy (not all people need to be at all meetings if it's outside their field.

In fact, the Council will work better, as Obama didn't follow his own/the traditional setup of the various levels. Finally, the not-alt-right Steve Bannon is a former intelligence officer and more than qualified for the council. I rather have one Bannon on the Council than ten Susan 'lying' Rices.

22. Inachu

WHen the globalists gis is no longer secret then it is easy to defend against their ideology which is to destroy all borders of all nations except for Israel.

The George Soros Open Society movement is a jewish ideology stripped of the religious connotations which is from the pages of Leviticus.

It is also as if a form of jealousy that the goyim does not have the diaspora so they must give birth to the secular diaspora by giving it another name such as H1B and L1 and a a few others.

Then push out the muslims to other nations so that they can land grab so they can meet the requirements so they can rebuilt the 3rd temple. So that Israel becomes the capital of the world.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like