back to article Huzzah! Doctor Who comes to Playmoverse

There already exist Doctor Who action figures but who wants anatomically correct when you get can six inches of chunky plastic? Yes, the Time Lords – or two at least – are coming to Playmobil. Doctors 4 and 11, AKA Tom Baker and Matt Smith, have been cast in rounded plastic complete with joy-joy smiles and fingerless grippy …

1. 2460 Something

Amazing :)

Is El Reg going to be updating its playmobil collection to ensure that it can continue to recreate events of special interest?

1. chelonautical

Re: Amazing :)

I certainly hope so... I miss Lester Haines. :(

On the bright side, I notice a few other El Reg hacks seem to like Playmobil so I'm feeling hopeful that more Playmoverse antics will be forthcoming.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ugh.

Funko Pop "collectibles" are truly hideous.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Ugh.

What is the point of those Funko things? (except to make someone a lot of money).

At least a Lego/Playmobile version of Dr Who can be used with your other Lego, but the Funko things just seem to be badly proportioned caricatures. Is there something else I'm missing?

3. Aladdin Sane

Smith?

Tennant was better.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Smith?

But Tennant, like Ecclestone, was an actor - that's cheating

1. TRT Silver badge

Just noticed... how many Doctors are named after beer?

2. BebopWeBop
      Facepalm

Tennant and Ecclestone were both good although I preferred the latter. Smith onwards - well just showing my age - wtf with added bad writing.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hate to break it to you...

...but Playmobil are not 6 inches. Your wife has been lying to you.

1. Bucky 2

Re: I hate to break it to you...

I'm still visualizing "6 inches of Matt Smith."

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OK..

...so I didn't read the article before posting the 'err, that's not 6 inches' comment.

/ I guess I came too soon.

1. Excellentsword

Re: OK..

I lol'd

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's all just a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey ... stuff.

7. ukgnome

Oh Shit!

I have just managed to cure my bigly Funko addiction. And now this.

Damn you Reg - you need to issue trigger warnings these days.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Assume the one word grunt of Baker being sufficient to idenity Dr 4 is because surely no-one would think that the answer to "the best Doctor" could possibly be Colin Baker

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

"Baker"

Q: who is the best Doctor (pre-2005)

A: [grunt] Baker [/grunt]

Q: who is the worst Doctor (pre-2005)

A: the OTHER Baker*

* personal opinion: to be completely fair, looking back upon it now, he wasn't really that terrible. Like Sylvester McCoy and indeed Malcolm Tucker Peter Capaldi, Colin Baker suffered some pretty awful scripts BUT in any ranking system, there is a first and a last place and my comment above therefore stands.

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

Re: "Baker"

I really got into the way Eccleston portrayed the Doctor. He distilled the character down to it most basic elements and everything about his version conveyed that from the acting to the clothing. From the pre-reboot days, I enjoyed Pertwee most and am reminded of him every time I watch an episode of Gotham.

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Re: "Baker" @ Robert Helpmann

indeed. When Gotham has run its course, I hope there is a conveniently timed opening for a new Doctor. Sean Pertwee would, at least in MY opinion, make an excellent Doctor. The gruffness of Ecclestone and Capaldi, tempered by the panache and man-of-action from his father's portrayal of the titular character.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: "Baker"

"suffered some pretty awful scripts "

It's even harder to classify Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy as the "worst doctor" once you've listened to some of the amazingly good Big Finish audio productions. Of course, the visual effects budget is unlimited in an audio setting, so that allows the writers a bit more leeway in their stories.

9. NotWorkAdmin

No good

until they add a K9 figure. Amazed they didn't think of it.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: No good

I think I'd prefer them scaled to fit in with the rest of my Playmobil figures TBH.

10. John 110
    Alien

Well I liked...

Sylvester McCoy. The look of scottish glee on his face when he tricked the daleks into wiping themselves out was priceless.

I think the next series was going to be brilliant.

1. Sporkinum

Re: Well I liked...

UNLIMITED RICE PUDDING!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well, Who wouldn't? And which Who would it be?

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I think the next series was going to be brilliant."

Big Finish have released some of the "lost stories" as audio, adapting original TV scripts for audio, some were rejected stories, some were from "missing series".

11. TRT Silver badge

These figures...

made of plastic are they? Any sort of a special kind of plastic? The sort of a plastic that Donald Trump's bodyguards are made of? The sort that has a wrist blaster?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: These figures...

I wonder - will there be a DJT Playmobil figurine at some point in time?

Oh, and about the other question: Peter Davison. Can't even say why; could it be the outfit?

2. Pookietoo

Re: These figures...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpA7aWEBpw0

12. applebyJedi

Funko

I have the Funko Firefly Legacy collection and they are really rather good. The Funko Firefly ReAction 6" collectables are more questionable though

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon