back to article Batman v Superman leads Razzie nominations

This year’s Razzie nominations - celebrating the worst that Hollywood has to offer - are in, with Zoolander No. 2 and Batman v Superman leading the pack with the most nominations. The crop of cinematic crap that make up the candidates for the 37th Annual Golden Raspberry (Razzie) Awards also features Dirty Grandpa, Gods of …

1. AndrewInIreland

Obvious omission...

I'm guessing Adam Sandler didn't have a film out last year then...

1. tmTM

Re: Obvious omission...

He's up for a lifetime achievement award surely??

2. Shugyosha

Re: Obvious omission...

He was busy with his Netflix movies, like The Ridiculous 6, which I haven't dared face but the 1 star rating it has tells me he's maintaining his standards. I guess that doesn't qualify as it didn't get a cinematic release.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not LaLa Land?

The first 10 minutes of La La Land was so generic I had to switch theatres to a different movie. To be fair, I don't typically watch musicals (at all), but La-La land proves that Hollywood is in touch with out of touch people. If I'm going to watch a musical, it has to be CRAZY good, which it seemed quite the opposite.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Not LaLa Land?

Anyone who leaves a movie after the first ten minutes is pretty silly. Most people say it's wonderful but then only a fool would go to watch a musical if they don't like musicals.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: only a fool would go to watch a musical if they don't like musicals

Especially fools who love their other halves.

1. The Brave Sir Robin

Re: only a fool would go to watch a musical if they don't like musicals

"Especially fools who love their other halves."

Or is trying to woo an object of their desire.

I remember sitting through the nightmare of Grease back in the day hoping for a romantic result. No romantic result was worth sitting through Grease for though.

2. inmypjs Silver badge

"Most people say it's wonderful"

Which is why I and the other half watched it and came to the conclusion "Most people" are full of shit.

I don't really like musicals mixing entertainment and story telling to the detriment of both. La La Land entertainment was a bit naff and the story telling a bit naff and confusing at the end, but, maybe I was just too bored to pay attention. I am already having trouble even remembering what it was about.

3. BongoJoe

Anyone who leaves a movie after the first ten minutes is pretty silly.

I have done this with the cinematic mess that was HHGttG. In fact, this was the only time I left a film before 'half-time' as I would normally hang on for the lady to come around with the ice-cream tray before beating an hasty exit.

2. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
      Facepalm

There's a reason why the term "Oscar bait" exists.

A musical about how beautiful people fulfills their stardom dreams in the amazing LA? that movie was not produced, it was *engineered* to give Hollywood fuzzy tingly feelings down there. Of course it would be nominated. Hollywood is not just out of touch, it is a whole alternate dimension.

I'd love it if the Razzies were to "denounce" this kind of movies, but for them it's easier to pick on blockbusters

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>that movie was not produced, it was *engineered* to give Hollywood fuzzy tingly feelings down there

Does it feature a cripple?

You are guaranteed an Oscar if you play a crip

1. Moosh
          Coat

"You are guaranteed an Oscar if you play a crip"

What if you play a blood?

3. tiggity Silver badge

Or going back a few years "The Artist", which was the epitome of cliche ridden pretentious self indulgence, but hey it got lots of awards

4. Emmeran

You are commenting on a movie article posted on a technology web site.You, sir, are the definition of "Out of touch" with popular culture.

and we admire you for that.

3. Dabooka

The Oscars are clueless

Black Swan anyone?

I rest my case

1. wolfetone Silver badge
      Coat

Re: The Oscars are clueless

I thought the scene where Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis got it on was the highlight of the film. I watched it on Valentine's Day night with my girlfriend, and at that point I said to her "We should go now" - as I'm not going to lie, I was very much in the mood to re-enact the scene back at the hotel - but the girlfriend refused.

It was at the point where it all went really weird in the hospital and someone starts stabbing someone, when my girlfriend then said "Shall we go?". Not because gore turned her on, but because she hated gore and wanted to leave. "No" I said "I'm good".

1. Natalie Gritpants

So your were all ready to go - as what? The carpet licker or the one with mental illness?

1. wolfetone Silver badge

"So your were all ready to go - as what? The carpet licker or the one with mental illness?"

I can't remember what roleplay I was in the mood for at that exact moment I'm afraid.

2. Youngone Silver badge

Black Swan was awful, no argument from me, but my all time worst movie is still Titanic. I heard on the radio today it was nominated for 14 Oscars.

4. Indolent Wretch

Have to say BVS... what a pile of poorly directed, poorly lit, poorly cast, poorly written, poorly acted, utterly nonsensical garbage...

But I'm amazed Suicide Squad only managed 2 noms... As a movie I hate it more than BVS, thankfully it did get the worst screenplay nom:

"We need a team of super powered criminals to handle threats nobody else can!"

[several set pieces and poorly chosen songs later]

"Yeah we killed the bad guys with a bomb!"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The very concept of Batman v Superman is dumb; when you first heard about it, you thought "This is going to suck", didn't you? Whereas Suicide Squad didn't have to suck, it had potential. BvS should be in the category of "Movies that should never have been made", whereas Suicide Squad is more "Movies that should have been made better".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The very concept of Batman v Superman is dumb"

That's a little unfair. The concept has been handled in the comic side several times over the past 30-odd years (and - given the age of the characters - probably longer). The version I read was actually quite good, and would have worked well as the basis for a film.

However, if you don't put the care into writing the film, it will be rubbish.

1. Ironclad

Re: "The very concept of Batman v Superman is dumb"

My very thoughts, have an up vote. The comic book version I read is this one by Frank Miller (he of Sin City fame):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Knight_Returns

It's excellently written and illustrated and would have made a great film IMHO.

The main problem with BvS is that it mashed up at least three comic book plotlines into one unfathomable and clumsy film.

1. Robert Helpmann??
            Childcatcher

It's excellently written and illustrated and would have made a great film IMHO.

From the Wikipedia page you provide: "DC Entertainment produced a two-part animated version." Part 1 was nominated for four awards. It should have won for Gary Anthony Williams' voice acting for the mutant leader as far as I am concerned. Part 2 had one nomination and one win: a Golden Reel Award for voice acting. It stayed true to the source material as was very good because of doing so.

2. Nick Ryan Silver badge

On the other hand, the lego animated version of Batman vs Superman was superb. Go figure.

2. RealBigAl

SS was made better, about 40 years earlier. Only then it was titled The Dirty Dozen.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

For me, Suicide Squad sucked because of the terribly long and crass introduction scenes..

AND they ruined the Joker... when we've had amazing jokers in the past... Heath Ledgers being my favourite, closely followed by Jack Nicholson

1. Colabroad

Don't forget Mark Hamill's excellent run in Batman: The Animated Series and the Arkham Asylum video game, few have played the joker more, or better, than ol' Luke Skywalker!

1. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
            Joke

Damn right, Colabroad!

No disrespect for the late mr. Ledger, but IMHO the Animated Series' Joker is THE definitive one!

Joker Alert! ----------->

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Hamill owns Joker.

Don't forget Mark Hamill's excellent run in Batman: The Animated Series and the Arkham Asylum video game, few have played the joker more, or better, than ol' Luke Skywalker!

For those that haven't heard Hamill voice the Joker, you've got to hear it.

My son started watching a Batman cartoon when he was little titled Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. After about 30 minutes of hearing this Joker, I thought who the hell is this guy doing Joker!?!? I hit IMDB and was _FLOORED_ that it was Mark Hamill. If Cesar Romero had Hamill's voice, it would be perfect for me. But, forget Cesar Romero and anyone after him, because Hamill owns Jokers persona and voice so well, that Hamill deserves to be casted as Joker in movies.

1. Sooty

Re: Hamill owns Joker.

Hamill owns Jokers persona and voice so well, that Hamill deserves to be casted as Joker in movies.

it's why he was cast as the Trickster in the Flash, and even reprises the role in the new series. No-one should have to see Mark Hamill in a unitard and cape though.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
                Devil

Re: Hamill owns Joker.

"No-one should have to see Mark Hamill in a unitard and cape though."

Cast him as 'voice of the Joker' like James Earl Jones for Darth Vader.

2. Sandtitz Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Joker

"AND they ruined the Joker... when we've had amazing jokers in the past... Heath Ledgers being my favourite, closely followed by Jack Nicholson"

WTH? Cesar Romero nailed it over 50 years ago!

4. David 132 Silver badge
        Thumb Down

The very concept of Batman v Superman is dumb; when you first heard about it, you thought "This is going to suck", didn't you?

Indeed. I haven't seen the film; the title itself killed any interest I might have had.

"We're going to take two of your childhood hero good-guys and pit them against each other". No thanks. Why not finish the job of ruining my childhood by giving me a "Father Christmas vs. The Easter Bunny" movie while you're at it?

And from the general tone of comments here, I deduce that I haven't missed out on much.

5. King Jack
    Terminator

Three Wishes

I just wish that one day somebody will have the brain cells, guts to make a Batman film or game that doesn't include the now boring, "My parents were murdered flashback". We all know the origin story by now and if we want a refresher then the media is already out there. In BvS the crux of the story was a name shared by their mothers. How stupid. Just make a film where Batman detects and beats up the bad guys, real bad guys. How difficult is that?

1. Stevie

Re: Three Wishes

Just as I wish I could find a Unix textbook that doesn't waste a dozen or more pages on pointless recapitulation of The Birth of Unix, which everyone who cares already knows 'cos they googled it.

2. Andrew Moore

That's why I've never bothered with any of the latest reboots- I'm fed up of seeing John and Martha get gunned down again.

1. Jonathon Desmond

That would be *Tom* and Martha.

Maybe you do need to see it again? (Just kidding, no typo is worth that punishment!)

3. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"I just wish that one day somebody will have the brain cells, guts to make a Batman film or game that doesn't include the now boring, "My parents were murdered flashback"."

Since these films are now obviously made for the 12-14 year olds, it does make sense to tell the story from the start.

6. chivo243 Silver badge
    Facepalm

I saw Batman vs. Superman

I was watching the clock after about 30 minutes. That's 2 hours of my life I'll never recoup... I think I'm done with first run films at the theater until my son is older...

7. 0laf

Meh

I watched BVS recently. Honestly I didn't think it was much worse than any of the recent crop of superhero movies from either Marvel or DC. They're all pretty bad.

I'll except Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool from my generic criticism, I thought they were really entertaining.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meh

I was a bit under-impressed by Deadpool. Though that might have been in part a reaction to my other half saying "we're going to watch this now" when I was getting tired of her dominating the choice of viewing (I précis), or it might be that indestructible 'heroes' are a bit passé. (by the way, don't blame me, the spellchecker put in the accents)

As to BvS, perhaps I wasn't paying attention (and I wasn't for most of the time) but Wonder Woman seemed a bit shoe-horned in. Anyone else feel that was the case?

1. MrDamage Silver badge

I thought BvS served purely as an extended trailer for the upcoming WW movie.

Although it's hard to decide on which was more wooden, Ben Arselick, or the forest in which WW grew up.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

but Wonder Woman seemed a bit shoe-horned in.

So that was how they get her into that small costume. I'd be pleased to assist as a shoe-horner in any future films.

3. 0laf

I think WW was barely a post-it note on the surface of the main feature. And you got a shot of Aquaman to get ready for Justice League as well.

2. Oengus

I can't wait for Guardians of the Galaxy 2... I think it will be a good laugh. We can't have movies that take themselves too seriously.

8. Timmy B

I dunno....

I kind of enjoyed BvS and Suicide Sqwaad. I just stuck the blu-ray on and put my brain in neutral. What's the point in finding plot issues in a film about billionaire vigilantes fighting super strong flying space aliens? It's not like they are meant to change the world. They are meant to be loud flashy silly rubbish. Junk food - like pretty much every super-hero film. Logan looks interesting though....

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Re: I dunno....

I quite enjoyed Suicide Squad. Bit messy, and the direction made it difficult to follow who was doing what in the fight scenes, but it was enjoyable enough. It also had likeable, if slightly cliched characters, although it did feel a little like a pilot for a potential new franchise featuring one (or more) of the characters. It's looking like Harley Quinn is the first to get her own franchise.

BvS. Being a big fan of both Superman and Batman (although I think MoS was awful), I was really looking forward to this. As stated, I didn't like MoS, but I have enjoyed Zack Snyder's previous movies, so I thought it was just a one off bad movie. Nope. BvS had impressive fights, but no depth to any of the characters, and the storyline was (at best) slight, and seemed like it was there to provide something they hang the fights and special effects (which weren't all that good) on. Same problems as MoS

9. Solarflare

Gods of Egypt...

...made my soul cry. Jamie Lannister vs Gerard Butler. Nonesense script, atrocious acting, awful effects. When I saw Geoffry Rush in it, I was upset as I couldn't help thinking he can do much better.

10. Duffaboy
    FAIL

After falling asleep through this one about quarter way through

I got up from my seat and left...

11. Herby
    Joke

Hollywood and "reality"

Well, there are the real axis and the imaginary axis on the complex plane. This pretty much defines both of them.

Be careful of the poles in the right half of the plane. Could be "unstable".

12. Oengus

Damn

“Winners” of this year's tackiest Tinsel Town trophy will be revealed on Saturday, February 25

Damn, I will be in the air when these are being announced. I will have to see if I can find the ceremony on Youtube when I land.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Independence Day: Resurgence

Also available in 4K HDR with Dolby Atmos sound, conclusive proof you can in fact polish a turd.

14. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

God..

I fell asleep during Batman vs Superman.

Only to wake up towards the end, when the "now feel sad"-music came on, and proclaim: "someone FINALLY died! thank god". That's how good that movie is.

If you like endless CGI-battles that remind you of playing a FPS, then I guess that's a good film.

Just like Captain America "snow/winter something or the other".

But my 12 year old liked it.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

Actually "Zoolander 2" leads this year's Razzies...

It got a total of 9 nominations, outdoing Ben Affleck's ruination of Batman and Henry Cavill's impersonation of a fencepost :)

1. Sooty

Re: Actually "Zoolander 2" leads this year's Razzies...

Pretty sure I'm not alone, but I thought Affleck's portrayal of a jaded older Batman was the only redeeming feature of BvS.

After all the pre-movie flack he got, I thought he ended up doing a really good job of it, and I'm looking forward to the solo movie.

16. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Trollface

hollyweird is so agenda-driven and clueless anyway

is it any WONDER they can't produce a decent movie any more?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon