back to article Lord of the Dance set to deliver high kicks at Trump’s big ball

Fears that Donald Trump inauguration will be more winalot than Camelot have abated, with the news that renowned trad Irish hoofer Michael Flatley will parachute in his Lord of the Dance troupe to Friday’s virtually celeb-free inauguration. Barack Obama attracted the likes of Aretha Franklin, YoYo Ma, James Taylor and Kelly …

1. Jack 12

Other theories are available

My favourite theory references that not only do Irish dancers keep their hands by their sides, but they also aim for a very straight and non-mobile upper body. Apparently this stems from more puritanical times when dancing was frowned upon if not prohibited.

When dancing only, the legs/feet move. Which means that you can dance in the pub and the authority figure wandering by and looking in the window only sees the upper bodies, which aren't moving

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
      Pirate

Re: Other theories are available

Q: Why don't Baptists have sex standing up?

A: They are afraid someone might see them and think they are dancing.

Dancing is the work of the Devil.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

When dancing only, the legs/feet move.

It depends on the style. Sean nós ("old style") Irish dancing allows free arm moverment and is generally more relaxed, the Riverdance troupe follows the more modern competition form of stepdance which is very rigid and formal.

1. Commswonk

When dancing only, the legs/feet move.

I can't find it on line to provide a link but did anyone else on here see Richard Stilgoe & Peter Skellern perform "Michael Flatfeet"? It was a laugh - until - you - cry send - up of Riverdance during which they explained that they danced that way "because their arms had been decommissioned".

As they stated "they were careful where they said that".

2. BillG
        Joke

Michael Flatley will parachute in his Lord of the Dance troupe to Friday’s virtually celeb-free inauguration.

The best quote on Celebrities & Politics

1. 7-zark-7

Alan Partridge - The best lord?

https://youtu.be/8HbJqEc_2Qc

3. Swarthy
      Big Brother

I had heard it as no so much puritanical, but rather anti-Irish. Back when London was trying to eradicate/domesticate the Irish - basically the same mindset that lead to the Irish Famine and A Modest Proposal.

1. Stork Silver badge

I think you will find that A Modest Proposal was meant as satire.

1. Swarthy
          Facepalm

Yes, A Modest Proposal was satire. Now what, prey tell, do you think it was satirizing?

2. macjules

"Back when London was trying to eradicate/domesticate the Irish"

Choice.

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Yes, dancing is a danger to the public's morals! Which is why the GDR in 1959 tried to countermand Rock'n'Roll by inventing the Lipsi (from Jimbopedia's German edition). Here's a little video to illustrate.

2. ukgnome

Sounds

unmissable.....no sorry I mean umm missable

3. wolfetone Silver badge

I think during the election a lot of the people who voted for Trump - those who weren't married to their siblings - were sick of big name celebrity endorsements. Why would someone who is struggling financially, no healthcare etc, listen to some jumped up millionaire singer saying "Vote for Hillary because she's awesome and Trump's a dick"? In that persons world the fact that they haven't got much, have no hope, no future, means more than the opinion and endorsement of someone who will do well under the next president regardless.

Trump tapped those people up. Blamed the Mexicans, sort of blamed China, pointed out various truths about the Clintons etc. He could be a very good president, he could ruin the country, he could get shot in 6 months time (every 5th President takes a bullet aparently).

That person sat at home just wants their life to improve. I don't think they give one iota what tribute band is going to play a song tonight.

1. Naselus

Agreed; is there anything more patronizing than the assumption that you will change your vote because you're convinced by the political philosophy of Beyonce?

It's just another way of avoiding actually discussing issues.

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

is there anything more patronizing than the assumption that you will change your vote because you're convinced by the political philosophy of Beyonce?

If famous people and celebs did not have the power to influence we wouldn't care when they try to.

I don't think anyone really believes they will change anyone's vote but it may help swing it for those many millions who say they don't know how they will vote; 'these famous people you (may) respect are voting this way or that way so why wouldn't you?'.

And it probably helps to reassure those who think they have made up their minds knowing that others, famous people they (may) respect, agree with them.

As far as I am concerned; everyone has a right to a view and a right to try and influence others. people can choose to be influenced or not. If celebrity gives someone a greater audience, more influence, then good luck to them.

2. d3vy

"is there anything more patronizing than the assumption that you will change your vote because you're convinced by the political philosophy of Beyonce?

It's just another way of avoiding actually discussing issues."

For a lot of people that will be a massive influence on how they form their opinions, so it makes perfect sense to have "celebrity" endorsement.

What I find odd is your position on this (I may have mis-read but you seem to be pro-trump), if your position is that celebrities should not voice their opinion on political matters then WTF is trump doing? He certainly is not a politician... but seems happy to spout his opinions at anyone who is within earshot.

Also, You seem to be saying that celebrities should not be allowed to voice their opinions on political matters? While I agree that its ridiculous that some people give more credibility to something if a celebrity endorses it I wouldn't try to stop them saying it.

2. sabroni Silver badge

That argument kind of leaves me wondering why they'd then vote for Trump. After all he's just another rich celebrity telling them what to do.

He could be a very good president, but only if they get him on the same medication they had Reagan on.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

"That argument kind of leaves me wondering why they'd then vote for Trump. After all he's just another rich celebrity telling them what to do."

But he's a rich celebrity who can say that he's built a business for himself. That's different to someone making a load of money from doing karioke to a pre-recorded track on a CD.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

He

But he's a rich celebrity who can say that he's built a business for himself.

He can say it but like a sizable chunk of the things he says it's not going to be true

2. Lotaresco

"But he's a rich celebrity who can say that he's built a business for himself."

In which bizarre parallel universe is this? Donald J. Trump inherited his wealth from his father who made his money by working interesting angles on government housing programmes in ways that seem at the very least "questionable" in the sense of "Someone should have been asking questions at the time these deals were agreed."

It is often stated that Donald J. Trump has made a fortune in property by starting out with a much bigger fortune that he inherited from his father. If he had invested that money in a managed fund he would have much more money than he does today.

1. d3vy

"If he had invested that money in a managed fund he would have much more money than he does today."

My understanding was that if he just put it under his mattress and left t alone, he'd have more money than he does today.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"My understanding was that if he just put it under his mattress and left t alone, he'd have more money than he does today."

http://imgur.com/r/thesimpsons/gWK6Hpd

2. Stork Silver badge

"It is often stated that Donald J. Trump has made a fortune in property by starting out with a much bigger fortune that he inherited from his father. If he had invested that money in a managed fund he would have much more money than he does today."

- and he would not have gone through so many bankruptcies on the way.

2. Chris G

"He could be a very good president, but only if they get him on the same medication they had Reagan on."

That reminds me of " The President's Brain is Missing"

Reagans went walkabout,the Trumpster has three out of four pistons missing (misfiring).

1. Lotaresco

And in another Spitting Image reference, the relationship between Trump and May looks set to be another "One Man And His Poodle" just like Reagan/Thatcher.

3. macjules

He could be a very good president, but only if they get him on the same medication they had Reagan on

Could it possibly be that Reagan had been a professional politician, on both sides of the political spectrum, for so long that he knew the game off by heart? To even remotely compare Trump to Reagan is a colossal insult to a man who probably achieved more in one day than Trump has in his entire sad little, self-entitled lifetime.

3. phuzz Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

You know who did inherit loads of money, but invested it wisely and has increased their net worth?

Yup

>>>>>>>>

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There was a cartoon many years ago, probably in "Punch", of a man discovering a cobwebbed book in a cupboard - with the title "Learn Irish Dancing Volume 2 - arm movements".

1. Geoff May (no relation)

Or there is this one:

www.cartoonstock.com/cartoonview.asp?catref=emc0036&ANDkeyword=irish+dance&NOTkeyword=&TITLEkeyword=&categories=All+Categories&artists=All+Artists&mainArchive=mainArchive&newsCartoon=newsCartoon&vintage=vintage&colorOption1=colour&colorOption2=blackWhite&orientationOption1=portrait&orientationOption2=landscape&cp=0&limit=12

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A similar volume is also depicted in one of the Neil Gaiman Sandman graphic novel stories (iirc, on a shelf labelled 'Unwritten Books" in Morpheus's library).

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Or there is this one:"

Thanks - that's probably the one I remembered. Recognise the cartoonist's name McLaclan - but I was thinking someone more like HoneySett. Their style is similar.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cartoon+honeysett

I should have Googled for it - but it had seemed likely to be too far in the past to be visible.

1. Jedit Silver badge

"it had seemed likely to be too far in the past"

Ed McLachlan has been cartooning for well over 40 years, so it could be both.

I wouldn't say his style was that similar to the late Martin Honeysett, either. Their backgrounds are quite similar, but their figures are very different.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

I'm bored of Trump. When can we go back to discussing Paris endlessly?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's as if the political acumen of rich celebrities means nothing to the unwashed masses!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sing and you die

"Presumably they’ve been worried about being upstaged..."

No, some of them are hyper-partisan Democrats who have decided that Trump won't ever be their president, and the rest are those who would be happy to put politics aside at this time, but are instead having to drop out so they don't appear on liberal blacklists and lose their income.

It's SOP for the Left; Attack not just your enemy but also anyone who won't attack with you. Jennifer Holliday (who is black and a patriot) had to drop out because of the death threats she received from supposedly tolerant progressives and other black people.

Basically many of those behind this boycott are filled with unreasoning rage because their candidate lost. Well some are, and others are still hiding in their safe spaces from the Trump-monster...

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: because their candidate lost

She got millions more votes though. Good democracy you've got there!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

She got millions more votes though.

Hillary Clinton - Preferred by 2.8 million more people than the closest leading competitor.

2. Eddy Ito

She got millions more votes though. Good democracy you've got there!

First, it's not a democracy, never has been, and never will be; it's a democratic republic. Second, like it or not, it's not one national election it's 51 different elections.

It bears no similarity to the Super Bowl where the winner is the one with the most points. It's closer to the World Series where it doesn't matter how many points you score in each game, you have to win more games. Yes, there's a quirk where some games are more heavily weighted based on attendance but nothing's perfect.

3. Joseph Haig

She got millions more votes though.

But he won according to the rules of the election. That's democracy for you, imperfect though it is.

Are you one of those who insists that we shouldn't leave the EU because Scotland and Nothern Ireland voted remain and/or it should have required more than 50%?

Democracy allows you to protest but not to demand that the rules change after then event when a vote goes against you.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"She got millions more votes though."

Well, if you take out the two most populous states (California and New York, or a measly 4% of states), then among the REMAINING 48 states (96% of the states), Trump won by 3.8 million votes.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Up

The ones here suggesting the Reps were no different in 2009 than the Dems are now are pretty rich. I do not recall seeing any protests at Obama's Inauguration. Rather, it was practically an orgy, with thrills running up pundits' legs and reporters laid low in droves by the vapours at the mere sight of The One looking at them.

Now, we have Trump entering a war zone, courtesy of the American Left. Who lost. And won't stop whining about it.

You guys just keep it up. You're swelling our ranks. You look like the sore losers you are.

Please keep it up.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

'Murican here: the Orange Cheat-o (Twitler) won because there is a vast swathe of people who realize they got swindled in the 2008 meltdown, lost jobs, houses, hope and will never recover, and even their children will not have a better shot than they did. At this point, they decided to throw a bomb into the outhouse just to see what happened, thinking they would not win. They are surprised that they did, and are dancing around giddily, pointing and laughing at the other people. Some of these other people were so grumpy that the best candidate of their side did not win the Democratic nomination, that they decided to pout and loftily declare they would not vote for a false dichotomy. They thought they would win anyway, because nobody was dumb enough to vote for a baboon. They are surprised that they didn't. So, we all lost.

1. Mystic Megabyte
              Thumb Up

Upvoted for "Twitler"!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"She got millions more votes though."

Well, if you take out the two most populous states (California and New York, or a measly 4% of states), then among the REMAINING 48 states (96% of the states), Trump won by 3.8 million votes.

Well, if you take out the four most populous states, then among the REMAINING 46 states (92% of the states), who cares?

Wait wait... what if you take out the ten most populous states, then among the REMAINING 40 states (90% of the states)..........

3. HausWolf

You take out CA and NY and the US is not the world's largest economy either, that would be the EU with China a whole lot closer behind.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"You take out CA and NY and the US is not the world's largest economy either,"

If we COULD get rid of CA and NY, I think the rest of us could live with the lessening of our global stature. It seems a small price to pay...

4. d3vy

"Well, if you take out the two most populous states (California and New York, or a measly 4% of states), then among the REMAINING 48 states (96% of the states), Trump won by 3.8 million votes."

Yeah... if you take out all of the people that voted the other way your candidate wins.... funny that.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"if you take out all of the people that voted the other way your candidate wins.... funny that."

No, merely pointing out that her win of the "popular vote" hinged on her winning in two of the fifty states. Without those two large (and largely liberal) states, she wasn't as "popular" in the rest of the states. Funny that - it's almost as if the Founding Fathers thought about such things and came up with a way to avoid such problems.

2. TomChaton
      Stop

Re: Sing and you die

Perhaps they wouldn't be seen dead on the same stage as a scumbag like him?

But no, of course they're being partisan whilst you have obviously put politics aside.

3. Red Bren

Hyper-partisans

"some of them are hyper-partisan Democrats who have decided that Trump won't ever be their president"

As I recall, there were many hyper-partisan republicans who decided the same about Obama and probably would have decided the same about Hillary. There's always going to be zealots who will never be convinced. The question is will Trump recognise that he won the presidency but not the popular vote, and try and govern for all, or will he decide that a mandate is a mandate, and govern purely for the benefit of those who voted for him, or more likely for the benefit of himself and his friends?

1. greenawayr

Re: Hyper-partisans

"As I recall, there were many hyper-partisan republicans who decided the same about Obama and probably would have decided the same about Hillary. There's always going to be zealots who will never be convinced."

However, I doubt those hyper-partisan republicans would claim to be "open-minded", "forward thinking", "tolerant" etc

1. Red Bren

Agreed, they would claim to be "Patriotic", "Christian", "On the side of the ordinary working man" and "Not one of the elite"

2. d3vy

"As I recall, there were many hyper-partisan republicans who decided the same about Obama"

Indeed, Trump was one of them.. Constantly requesting access to Obamas birth certificate (Presumably in the hope of removing him from office on the grounds that he was not a US citizen).

If I remember rightly he also claimed it was fake when it was release (Though that might not have been him)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

That reminds me! I need to see Melanoma Trump's Birth Certificate, Drivers License, and genitals. I don't believe for a minute that she; 1) is an non-illegal foreign person not from the USinA alien citizen from another place and/or time, 2) can drive itself, and 3) is actually a true-born female of the opposite lady persuasion.

Also, I suspect Big John is a young lady racist from Miami Florida with a house full of Lord of the Dance VHS tapes and wearing a frock covered in chocolate stains.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The question is will Trump recognise that he won the presidency but not the popular vote, and try and govern for all, or will he decide that a mandate is a mandate, and govern purely for the benefit of those who voted for him, or more likely for the benefit of himself and his friends?

The second.

He's been denying from the day after the election that he lost the popular vote, calling it a "landslide" win, and an "historic" win [yes, it IS historic, but not in a good way, being one of five times the president LOST the popular vote].

1. Someone Else Silver badge

He's been denying from the day after the election that he lost the popular vote, calling it a "landslide" win, and an "historic" win [yes, it IS historic, but not in a good way, being one of five times the president LOST the popular vote].

Including, not-so-coincidentally, the last two Republican presidents.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Do you need to ask that question? If in doubt, you've seen his appointees.

4. Youngone Silver badge

or will he decide that a mandate is a mandate, and govern purely for the benefit of those who voted for him, or more likely for the benefit of himself and his friends?

No, he will do what US politicians do and govern for the benefit of the people who put him there, the moneyed class.

It's SOP in Washington and pretending there's a difference between Republicans and Democrats is missing the point.

Read Citizens United. The Supreme Courts says I'm right.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Basically many of those behind this boycott are filled with unreasoning rage because their candidate lost.

Like the people [read: Republicans] in 2008 who were filled with rage because a black man won?

Or perhaps they're filled with quite logical, reasoning dismay when they realize that a bigoted, clueless, narcissistic bullying liar has been elected president?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Like the people [read: Republicans] in 2008 who were filled with rage because a black man won?

A left-wing Tea Party? I can see the similarity.

5. d3vy

"Basically many of those behind this boycott are filled with unreasoning rage because their candidate lost. Well some are, and others are still hiding in their safe spaces from the Trump-monster..."

In just a few short hours it will be a monster armed with nuclear weapons.

I'd be looking for a safe space too...

8. ThisPlaceInTime

" ... the _graphic_ "Hold on I’m Coming""?

Dirty minds think dirty thoughts.

9. disgruntled yank

Ah, well

I haven't tuned in to inaugural concerts since 2009, at which time I saw a country singer doing his best (not very good) with "Shout". At that point, I switched channels for fear that Eminem might attempt "E lucevan le stelle."

As for Big John's comments, credible threats of harm are a crime, and a matter for the police. However, I live not far from the pizza joint "self-investigated" by a guy with an AR-15, looking for evidence of evil doings by Hillary Clinton and her gang. So it is not just the "Left" that has interesting SOPs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ah, well

I agree, both poles have their crazy quotient. It's in the rank and file where you find the stark differences across the divide. Isn't it almost always the case that it's the Left who is protesting? People like to 'point out' how partisan the Republicans were after the 2008 election, but no GOP politician said Obama wasn't legit, and none refused to go to his Inauguration over their differences.

Now both those things are happening to Trump, and the best excuse the Dems have for it is a fact-free theory about Russians throwing our election, something Hillary made up in a moment of desperation right after a big email bomb hit her bunker.

Basically the Left at this point is acting very juvenile and not at all adult about the whole thing, and that's what comes across to those people still in the middle.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

People like to 'point out' how partisan the Republicans were after the 2008 election, but no GOP politician said Obama wasn't legit,

well, Trump maintained for 8 years that Obama wasn't legit, so why not get a taste of his own medicine?

Now both those things are happening to Trump, and the best excuse the Dems have for it is a fact-free theory about Russians throwing our election, something Hillary made up in a moment of desperation right after a big email bomb hit her bunker.

Oh right.... she made it up and all the intelligence agencies went along with it.....

Basically the Left at this point is acting very juvenile and not at all adult about the whole thing, and that's what comes across to those people still in the middle.

I think what comes across to "the middle" is that the polarization is more extreme now.

The GOP keeps citing Reagan, but he'd be considered "moderate-right" or centrist today.

Another difference - Obama started with an approval rating of 80%, Trump has half that.

I'm sure that 60% not "approving" includes some people "still in the middle."

2. HausWolf

No GOP politician said he wasn't legit? .. so none of them did the he wasn't born here, he's from Kenya or scream he's a Muslim.. as they say in South Carolina.. You Lie.

3. Someone Else Silver badge
        FAIL

@Big John -- Re: Ah, well

Revisionist history much?

I guess the Enchilada Restaurant Meeting wasn't a "protest" in your mind (such as it is) because TV cameras we're there watching? Or because the color of the participants skin was a uniform shade of pale? Oh...prolly because there weren't any slogans hand-painted on signs. That's gotta be it.

I see you've got that Lügenführer thing down pat, like a good little apparatchik.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @Big John -- Ah, well

Dudes, the Tea Party did not exist when Obama became president. Sure some people were POed about it, but they didn't march to DC and plan violent protests over it like your side is now.

Enchilada Restaurant Meeting? Really? You're trying to stack some obscure meeting I've never heard of up against the Great Unhinging we are now witnessing? Please try harder.

> "Oh right.... she made it up and all the intelligence agencies went along with it"

Yes they did, being headed every one by Obama's hand-picked toadies. And when a president has perverted our intelligence agencies for his party's benefit, it's time we stopped it PDQ.

Anyway none of this really matters because YOU LOST. And you're still losers, trying desperately to assuage the pain of losing by tearing down the winners instead of licking your wounds and becoming stronger for the future battles. Sad to see an entire movement reduced to such an abject state.

10. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Trollface

Riverdance?

Is it the mid 1990s already? Time to join the queue for a copy of that new-fangled Windows 95 I guess.

11. Version 1.0 Silver badge

In auger nation

Is that this week? I thought that was Fake News.

I'm not watching and I don't care.

12. TRT Silver badge

Irish dancing? Irish?

You mean that nation of terrorist scumbags, blowing up people all the time and funded by a secret network of supporters in main stream America!

What's that Mr Trump? Am I somehow wrong? Over-generalising perhaps? Tarring them all with the same brush? You say the vast majority of Irish people are decent, hard working human beings who contribute enormously to the culture, wealth and development of modern America? And they aren't over-running the country through mass immigration? And their involvement with hard-line religious belief is vastly misunderstood? Well, that's a surprise! Or are you just glad they're not Mexican? Or Muslim.

13. Gerry Doyle 1

He's a Yank

Despite appearances, Flatley isn't Irish.

Either way, he's dead to us now.

1. Red Bren

Re: He's a Yank

Watch out that he doesn't try to electrocute you with his hair, or bite you with his radioactive teeth, the fun loving sexaholic dancelord...

2. CheeseTriangles
      Meh

Re: He's a Yank

Is "Lord Of The Dance" still a thing? I saw his troupe performing the dance routine on TV many many years ago, and was bored after a few minutes. Perhaps it's not my favorite art form. However I am truly surprised Flatley is still making money from this. Maybe Trump is scraping the barrel bottom somewhat?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A vandalized "Lord of the Dance" poster in Leipzig

Was a thing to behold, a totem of European solidarity. The Kraut vandal had adorned the smugly smiling Michael with a Hitler cowlick and moustache, seized by the same impulse that would have stirred a Pom, Dago, Frog, Mick, or even a Turk. There's hope for the continent yet...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A vandalized "Lord of the Dance" poster in Leipzig

"[...] or even a Turk"

Turkey seems to have its own thin-skinned clone of Trump in Erdogan - with a similar split in the population's support. The only difference is that in one case the political power is hard-line conservative Christian factions - and in the other Islamic ones.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A vandalized "Lord of the Dance" poster in Leipzig

That sounds more like something a British tourist with a knotted hanky on his head and rolled up trousers would do

15. Arthur the cat Silver badge

one of the world’s foremost Irish dancers

As an epitaph, that's not very inspiring.

16. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Coat

"If you fear change you are a bad person!"

Pretty funny take on Obama's tearful adieu and Trump's press conference here: Weepy Globalist to be Replaced By Rumbustious Working Class Hero At Noon Friday

Data hounds may find this information of interest:

Obama stepped out in front of a huge audience in Chicago and delivered a long, gassy speech—51 minutes and 10 seconds. That’s 10 minutes longer than the Farewell Addresses of George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, and Ronald Reagan combined.

Bush 41 did not technically give a farewell address, although his speech to West Point cadets, the last of his presidency, is sometimes cited as such. I don’t know its duration, but the transcript runs to 3,300 words. The transcript of Obama’s farewell address is just short of 5,000 words, so he left Poppy Bush in the dust, too. This is a guy who really likes the sound of his own voice.

The gold standard in political speeches, so far as I’m concerned, was the one Calvin Coolidge delivered to the Massachusetts Senate 102 years ago, after being elected President of that body. It consisted of forty-four words, thus:

"Honorable Senators: My sincerest thanks I offer you. Conserve the firm foundations of our institutions. Do your work with the spirit of a soldier in the public service. Be loyal to the Commonwealth and to yourselves, and be brief; above all things, be brief."

That makes the Gettysburg Address, at 272 words, look positively flabby. It makes Obama’s farewell address look morbidly obese.

1. Someone Else Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Trump a "working-class hero"

Puh-LEEEZE

What crap is that you're reading? (Noticed that there was no attribution for that warm, steaming heap you allegedly copied from ... someplace. And no, I'm not about to try that link, either...no telling where that's been.)

1. Chris G

Re: Trump a "working-class hero"

I think you need to borrow a sense of humour from someone else as you don't seem to recognise satire very well.

2. Lotaresco

Re: "If you fear change you are a bad person!"

"Obama stepped out in front of a huge audience in Chicago and delivered a long, gassy speech"

[TRANSLATION] Obama delivered a speech that was above the reading age of the TL;DR Republicans who much preferred GW's Dr Seuss style of delivery...

See, see president man, president man has got a plan.

See me see me president man, I have a plan, I'm president man.

Do not give me pretzels Dan, oh pretzels no that's not my plan.

Choking, coughing pretzels Dan, oh Dan that's not my plan.

Never say it was the booze, that way's a horrid chance to lose.

Oh never, ever mention booze, because this prez don't want to lose.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will they have leprechauns as well or has the pot of gold already been reserved?

18. graeme leggett Silver badge

half of Sam and Dave

To be fair to the booking agent, it would have been difficult to get Dave on, as he's been dead near 30 years.

19. david 12 Silver badge

JLo sang for the birthday of Turkmenistan President Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov (state-run media, civil rights violations, child labor, torture, and political kidnappings )

Sting sang for the Uzbekistan dictator Islam Karimov (political imprisonment, child slavery, and torture) "I have come to believe that cultural boycotts are not only pointless gestures"

Beyonce, Mariah Carey? for the Gaddafi family.

It's not like they were singing for Trump, right?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Joke

"It's not like they were singing for Trump, right?"

Well, even celebs have standards you know!

20. martinusher Silver badge

Its not really a boycott...

....its more something to do with most entertainers have better things to do with their time like, for example, washing their hair.

I personally think of the incoming administration as a form of natural disaster -- the hurricane is bearing down on us, its going to cause some damage but if we take appropriate precautions we can survive it and hopefully when its over we can clean up after it and carry on. This may be regarded as a bit of an extreme view, especially among those I know who think its the Second Coming, but we'll have to wait and see exactly what its impact is. For now I've got my drinking water, batteries and sandbags.

21. Bloodbeastterror

As a (Northern) Irishman...

...I am deeply ashamed that any of my fellow islanders would show support in any way for this narcissistic sociopathic baboon.

I can only assume that Flatley has mortgate payments that he needs to support.

22. jonnycando
    Thumb Up

Flatley and crew a good choice

Since we in the eastern States are mostly Irish at least . The whole country is Irish on St Patrick's day. That's the law.

1. Lotaresco

Re: Flatley and crew a good choice

"The whole country is Irish on St Patrick's day. That's the law."

My boss (Irishman, born in Cork, Dublin educated, top-drawer bloke) was in Boston on Paddy's Day. Some drunken idiots picked on him for "not wearing the green", he cursed them out in Irish and they were bewildered about what strange language this was.

Irish? Yeah right, you're American.

1. Queasy Rider

Re: Flatley and crew a good choice

Old joke: What do real Irish drinkers call St. Paddy's Day... Amateur Night.

23. Frumious Bandersnatch

a dearth of Scottish artists

I wonder was Arab Strap invited? Probably no, given the "Arab" in their name.

24. Winkypop Silver badge

That's a shame...

"Harvey the farting wonder-horse" wasn't available.

Oh well, Flatulence of another kind will do.

25. Identity
    Childcatcher

Could it be

that this appearance is in lieu of the Rockettes who demurred at performing?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like