back to article EE brings 1,000 call centre jobs to UK and Ireland

British mobile phone network EE has brought 1,000 customer service operator jobs in-house - claiming to be the first operator to "in-source" all call centre roles to the UK and Ireland. According to customer complaint data compiled by Ofcom, EE is one of the least moaned about mobile operators. Although O2, Three and Tesco …

1. Alister

Yay!

Is "in-sourcing" the new thing for 2017?

I certainly hope so.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Shock, Horror!

Customer service bods realised that making already irate customers talk to someone with a thick accent and only a basic grasp of English will only make them more angry.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Shock, Horror!

More likely it's because it's no longer cheaper to pay Indian staff than it is British.

Their incomes go up and ours go down, relatively speaking, when considering inflation and exchange rates.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Insourcing...

Taking advantage of the 3rd world UK :)

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

Can't help being suspicious

Are they talking about 1000 people or 1000 positions? One person could support both EE and BT so some of those 1000 people could already be included in what BT have already announced.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can't help being suspicious

EE are being treated as a separate entity for the time being so the staff are purely for EE.

Would say more but it's more than my jobs worth.

4. Lee D Silver badge

Next step - "shake-it-all-about-sourcing"

Seriously, it's a reversal of a stupid idea (you spend money on customer service, that's the point of it), that fails miserably everywhere it's implemented, back to the way we've always done things beforehand.

And in doing so, they'd decided to do it after wasting years-worth of money moving it and then moving it back and now they're going to hit Brexit with it too.

5. Your alien overlord - fear me

In other news, 1000 Indian call center workers are brought over to Blighty.

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

In other news, 500 Indian call center workers are brought over to Blighty.

Perhaps more correct given the disparity in workers' rights?

2. Velv

In other news, 3,000 Indian call center workers are brought over to Blighty.

In my experience any one of three members of the same family would turn up for the one persons job on any given day. We even had a brother turn up to cover his sisters shift.

6. EnviableOne

Its cyclical

Happens all the time in CS, Some CXO has the bright idea to save money by moving CS to india, operations costs go down, but CS sufferes so topline goes down, so they onshore, top line recovers, but costs go up, wait a few years some CXO trys to find cost savings ...

Every big firm has done it.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Its cyclical

"Every big firm has done it."

Why do they always appoint CXOs with learning difficulties?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Why do they always appoint CXOs with learning difficulties?"

Equal opportunities is not just for the low paid, obviously.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Why do they always appoint CXOs with learning difficulties?"

I always assumed that, sadly, that was one of the "essential skills" for applying for any CxO position?

7. Ken 16 Silver badge

UK & Ireland?

Surely UK only, specifically England & Wales.

8. MOH

Pretty sure none of those locations are in Ireland

9. wyatt

I've generally had a good experience with the Orange/EE/T-Mobile staff (I realise plenty haven't). They've managed to sort every issue I've had, including a failed number port from Orange to Vodafone and then back to Orange.

10. Tezfair

Not really something to boast about...

Having to create 1000 call centre jobs clearly means they have big issues with their service(s) that the current team are not able to handle regardless of where their current call operations are located.

I jumped to Three as soon as BT started sniffing around. Best thing I ever done, for me, the service quality difference was considerably better and half the monthly cost.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Geographically challenged

Which of North Tyneside, Darlington, Plymouth and Merthyr Tydfil is in Ireland?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EE CEO Marc Allera described 2016 as "a landmark year" for EE's customer service

Enjoy it while you can EE CEO Marc Allera.

It's only a matter of time before your new foster parents begin to Borg your company in the name of synergies, integration and "efficiencies", thus dragging EE down to their level.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The future was bright, the future was Orange

I used to be a very happy Orange subscriber (that's how long ago it was!), and on the rare occasions that I had to phone their, usually, Tyneside call centre, they were always unfailingly friendly and helpful.

Then of course, things started going wrong: the features that had made Orange innovative started going away (yeah, I was down with OVP!) and customer service was offshored, etc…

It would be nicely ironic if Orange, ermm, EH? were returning to the same call centre building with the same staff (assuming that they wanted to have anything to do with them after how they were treated).

14. VulcanV5
    Mushroom

Being shamefully, appallingly, politically incorrect . . .

Amazing that something as prosaic as a freakin' Call Center can pitch you into the world of political correctness where what you're allowed to even think, still less allowed to actually say, is governed by the code of the self-righteous virtue signallers.

I had to ring BT support once, though only once, for an entirely incomprehensible conversation with a call centre representative somewhere in India. I couldn't understand a word he was saying.

You can look at this in one of two ways: an issue of fault, or an issue of cause. The PC view is that it's all about fault, and in this case, a fault that's all mine, because I'm secretly a racist. Or maybe, not so secretly. My view is it's about cause: what possible cause could be served by any company handing over its interface comms to agents with whom customer communications are pretty much destined to be mutually incoherent? No prizes for getting the answer right.

But offshore call support isn't the only thing which leaves me open to being accused of burning crosses in my garden. Offshore email support is another, because time and again written exchanges I may be compelled to undertake turn out to be with customer reps whose gender escapes me. It's not that I'm a stickler for formality, just that it'd be nice to know if I'm dealing with a male obstructionist or a female obstructionist. But then, it's all my fault; I should be an expert on the forenames and family names of everyone resident in India.

Bringing customer comms onshore doesn't much help either, seeing as how it's which part of which UK shore that's important here. I have friends who're Scottish but from (I think) the lowlands. By contrast, very often I find myself talking to someone who must've been a dialect coach on Braveheart, the accent so broad that only one spoken word in 10 is intelligible.

But again. 'S my fault. I'm not supposed to say that I don't understand the Scots CS rep, nice person though he or she may identifiably be, any more than I'm not supposed to say, I don't understand the Indian CS rep, nice person though he or she may unidentifiably be. I'm not supposed to say any of that because what I'm exhibiting is the racist intolerance of a white English middle-aged male who should be downright ashamed of the way his ancestors subjugated the people of Scotland, the people of India.

Above all: 's my fault for being a, a. . . customer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Re: Being shamefully, appallingly, politically incorrect . . .

I used to share your pain V5, but honestly I just laugh at them now.. actually more than that I go out of my way sometimes just to be an Arsehole just because I'm so fed up of their BS, I said Fuck it I may as well 'trigger' them as often as possible, its a damn sight more entertaining that listening to them and their bullshit circular arguments..

The PC crowd from hence forth will be referred to as snowflakes (because they fucking hate that)

Are so wrapped up in not being 'ist (find your 'ist of choice) that half they time they dont even want to acknowledge as to what is trying to be said or done, which 9 times out of 10 is a genuine issue that needs to be discussed rationally, but snowflakes want to bring it back to 'isms and cry their sjw tears..

The new £20 note has been brought to a halt because 'they' dont want to offend anyone.

Because suddenly everyone is allowed to go through life without being offended?!

You tell people that you have a strong conservative family beliefs with roles for both males and females, then you are a small minded bigoted chauvinist pig.

You tell them you are a Muslim Arab, suddenly its okay..?!

And people wonder why snowflakes get nothing done.. so fuck'em troll the living shit out of them.

Frankly you have more rights to be a Dick than they do not to be offended..

15. Defiant

Sod them

Sod the Irish, they shouldn't be riding the UKs back when they wanted self government

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like