back to article Tell us about that $1m horse, Mr Samsung: Bribery probe slips deep into South Korean giant

The heir-apparent of Samsung has been pulled into the bribery scandal that sparked the impeachment of South Korea's president. Lee Jae-yong has been ordered by special prosecutors to answer questions about the enormous donations made by Samsung to a number of foundations run by a close associate of President Park Geun-hye, …

1. John 104
    Black Helicopters

Shocking!

Political favors for money? Not shocking.

Actually prosecuting those involved? Beyond shocking. If only we could get some of that moxy here in the states..

1. cd

Re: Shocking!

Unfortunately, outgoing president Neville Chamberlain II missed his chances.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Shocking!

Note to Trump fans - this is what draining the swamp looks like. Not bringing in a bunch of corporate cronies (even a billionaire from Goldman Sachs after all his criticism of Hillary's connections!) for more business as usual bribery and corruption.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm

"It is, of course, perfectly possible that all three of South Korea's largest tech companies share a corporate fascination with horses, but prosecutors feel that is unlikely."

While I agree it's unlikely, horse racing/competition is at the pinnacle of the rich mans games. Some of the prices privately paid for a single horse can be down right insane, way off the chart of believable or rational !! I'd cringe at the price to breed with American Pharoh.

1. Commswonk

Re: Hmmm

I'd cringe at the price to breed with American Pharoh.

I cringe at the very idea; I think you meant "I'd cringe at the price to breed from American Pharoh." With suggests something else entirely.

And anyway it's Pharoah, with a second "a"...

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
        Happy

Re: Hmmm @Commswonk

I don't know... perhaps MyBackDoor does 'share a corporate fascination with horses'.

1. Commswonk

Re: Hmmm @Commswonk

That is something I'd rather not consider, especially not when I hope to get a good night's sleep, starting shortly. The "MyBackDoor" tag doesn't help either. :)

2. Charles 9

And note it's spelled "oah" instead of "aoh". They didn't realize the mistake until it was too late.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Hey....don't judge. While you are playing horse shoes, I'm playing horse holes. There's still ringers in it, just not, well.

2. Richard 26

If I paid that much for a horse, I'd expect it to be an invisible one. They are very popular in Korea, or so I'm told.

3. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
    IT Angle

Thoroughbred?

OK, this is admittedly a ridiculous nitpick, but what is that woman (a dressage rider, by all I could find and not even an eventer), doing with a thoroughbred?

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, those of you with SOs who have the horse bug, go ask them. They'll explain. At length.

(giving myself a where's the IT angle icon)

1. AndyS

Re: Thoroughbred?

Also known as the "I'm clever because I know something, but I'm not telling you what" comment.

Really adds to the discussion.

2. Natalie Gritpants

Re: Thoroughbred?

Wouldn't surprise me if the type of horse got changed as the story got passed around as the real type is probably very complex (e.g. 3/4 Danish warmblood, 1/8 Haflinger, 1/8 donkey). Most people know thoroughbred means expensive, it's the Champagne of horses.

4. Herby

At least...

It isn't North Korea. There if you look the wrong way, your life expectancy goes down a couple of orders of magnitude.

As for the good old USA: Corruption, yes, we have heard of it (somewhere....). I believe it is called "politics" in some circles.

5. DNTP
    FAIL

The closest I ever got to a bribe horse...

Was last year's lab tech vendor shindig where they served capicola on the cold cuts plate (Yes I know in America it's not made of horsemeat.)

Joke's on you, vendors, I am immune to bribery by virtue of having no equipment budget.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, South Korean Rich and Powerful get prosecuted for corruption, but the US Court System can't even come close to doing that? Interesting.

1. DanceMan

South Korea vs USA

"So, South Korean Rich and Powerful get prosecuted for corruption, but the US Court System can't even come close to doing that? Interesting."

There were massive street protests every week for some time to bring this about. No equivalent in the US, at least not since the anti-Vietnam war marches of the 70's. If US citizens protested in same % of population, there would be consequences.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: South Korea vs USA

Yeah, like a massive spike in unemployment as bosses start going into their replacements lists. It takes a certain amount of moxie to forgo work for weeks at a time, especially if you're on the west coast. With many states carrying "at will" laws, there's a very real risk you won't have a job when you come home.

2. Oh Homer
        Coat

Re: South Korea vs USA

Surely this is America's neoliberal interpretation of Freedum® working exactly as intended.

7. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

More reasons not to do business with Sammy... have decided not to have any samsung mobile (or anything labeled samsung) again ever.

1. Charles 9

Are you also forgoing LG and Hyundai as well, given they were also listed in this current scandal? You'll also have to wonder if other chaebols like Lotte are also involved but haven't been caught this time.

8. Schultz

Friendly reporting: "Won a gold medal"

"Ms Chung is a professional equestrian who won gold in the 2014 Asian Games."

Less friendly reporting says her team won the gold medal. And guess why she got a spot in the team? $$$

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like