back to article Microsoft goes retro with Vista, Zune-style Windows Neon makeover

Mockups of Microsoft's "Project Neon" redesign have been leaked – we're sure by accident. Neon, as we reported last year, is an attempt to steer Windows away from the "flat" look that has dominated UX design in recent years, and make the system friendly for augmented or mixed-reality users. In the mockups, Aero-style …

1. Jame_s

retro?

it's not retro until i can get my beloved windows classic look dessert theme back dammit!

and get off my lawn!

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: retro?

Damn Hipsters, coming on here saying the Windows Classic Look is retro.

What happened to Windows 1.0 eh? Too old for you or something?

1. Jame_s

you're not a hipster if you have been (and still are on W7) using it since it was introduced.

1. Jame_s

and GET OFF MY LAWN!

I WAS HERE BEFORE IT WAS A LAWN!

1. frank ly

"... classic look dessert theme ..."

Android seemed to be running a dessert theme with their release names but it wasn't consistent.

1. Charles 9

Not desserts. Sweets. Eclairs, ice cream sandwiches, and Kit Kat bars are all considered sweets.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

He's right, you know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

1. jake Silver badge

I was here when the "I was here when ..." meme was still considered funny.

2. Jame_s

i have my own, beloved, dessert theme which i have saved. it began as the desert theme, but i modified it. it's called dessert because of an hilarious mistake i made while playing a quiz machine in the pub years ago, but i digress.

2. Jame_s

i was here when it was still the ocean floor.

"i was here when it was still the ocean floor."

I was here when Atlantis was a thing.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
                  Pirate

"I was here when Atlantis was a thing."

Atlantis isn't a thing anymore?! When did that happen???

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge
                  Devil

I was here when Atlantis was a thing.

I thought it is still a thing - just in the Pegasus galaxy and you need a ZPM to dial a Pegasus prefix code on the Stargate.

3. kain preacher

hey I was here when like came on a 5.25 floppy and it took voodoo to make the boot loader work.

4. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I remember when all this wasn't trees!

2. Updraft102

Used Windows 7 since it was introduced?

Oh heavens no. I was using XP at that time; it would be several more years (well into the Windows 8 years) before I would first try Windows 7. Why upgrade when the existing product is serving your needs nicely?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Because it's at EOL which means any security holes left in it will remain unpatched, meaning you put that thing on a network (not just the Internet) and you risk getting pwned (because any other machine on your LAN could be used to bridge over to the XP machine and go from there). IOW, it's probably already in a "broken" state.

2. MysteryGuy

Still not as good as it used to be...

Seems to me they are attempting to fix what they broke by replacing the Win 7 style with Metro, and the original Win 7 styling is still better...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Still not as good as it used to be...

So.... we're going from having to have a touch screen to fully use the functionality of the interface to having to have AR goggles to use all the features, yes?

My feelings on this are perfectly summed up by the following exchange I witnessed at "Turtle Talk with Crush" at Epcot this christmas. (Please Insert your own comic timing):-

Small Child:- "Did you know that people sometimes eat fish?"

Crush:- " "

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Nice! That shut that stoner turtle up! I like to remind all bothersome birds that I enjoy cooking and eating them. The cats think that I'm funny.

Anyway, for VR goggles you need VR gloves! Basically, any tight-fitting glove equipped with those awful little joystick nubs they used to put in the middle of every single laptop PC keyboard ever made before 1998. There's one at the end of each one for your finger, and they malfunction in the same manner providing you with that MS VR experience you've been craving!

Oh, you guys, they said the Z-word! Break out your Zunes and rock the Friday like it was October 2011!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zune

2. big_D Silver badge

I'm having to use Windows 7 again for the first time since 2012. It feels so "icky". I much prefer the cleaner look of Windows 10.

1. Dave K

Well the beauty of Windows 7 is that if you don't like Aero Glass, you're just a few clicks away from a flatter, classic theme. Unlike with Windows 10 where if you don't like what MS have done with the styling, you're SOL.

2. ArrZarr Silver badge
        Facepalm

Shame upon you for expressing an unpopular opinion.

Win10 irrevocably taints all those who touch it and even the most tangential comment of not hating every line of code deserves downvotes [/sarcasm]

Have an upvote to redress the balance somewhat

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Trollface

"I'm having to use Windows 7 again for the first time since 2012. It feels so 'icky'. I much prefer the cleaner look of Windows 10."

should I treat this the way the ARROGANT MILLENIAL MICRO-SHAFT SHILLS treat those who do NOT like Win-10-nic?

You know, things like:

a) Refusing to 'CHANGE BACK' to something that's obviously better

b) Get on board, deal with it, it's the way things ARE, suck it up, etc.

c) don't want to "learn new things" (or in this case, re-learn old things)

d) Resisting "change" (or in this case, change BACK)

e) everybody ELSE likes it so you should, to

etc.

naw. I'll leave it alone. heh.

1. big_D Silver badge

@bombastic bob Re: Still not as good as it used to be...

Moi? A millenial? How dare you, Sir!

I started using Windows with version 2.0 and progrmaming Excel Macros. I've used every version, although ME and XP were the worst, I just never got on with the Fisher Price look of XP, there the classic shell was a godsend. Vista was a huge improvement, 7 an improvement over Vista, 8/8.1 was "different", but some of its additons made it worthwhile over 7 and 10 is, for non-touch users, another leap forward over 8.1. For touch users, it is a mixed bag.

And, to be honest, I still remember the arguments about how bad Windows 95 Start Menu was and it was lucky that it still came with the Program Manager for "real" users.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That 'icky' feeling is the lack of 'data slurp' by MS, if you have selected your updates correctly, and the fact that you can get more work done when you are not 'fighting' the UI. :)

Did I mention that I am not a fan of win 10 !!!!!?????

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Facepalm

Right, it's *STILL* 2D FLATSO FLUGLY, no matter HOW much lipstick you put on the boar...

and no doubt, still spying on you, forcing you to take "updates" or they'll shove them up your down your throat.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Windows

And it's only a theme. Why can't they make them choosable again? If people want to make it look like 2000 or Fisher Price or 7 instead of Flatland why shouldn't they?

1. Updraft102

Well, you see, things like user-selectable themes are found in products that are meant to serve the needs of the users. There is no benefit to having those in a product that is engineered to serve its publisher; it's already been maximally engineered to promote Microsoft's branding efforts and to serve its purposes.

The Windows 10 theme is carefully designed to de-emphasize the jarringly ugly flatness of UWP or "app" bits of the system. Having a return to even a modest level of skeuomorphic design would only serve to increase the appearance gap between native Win32 elements and UWP app elements, which would make the UWP things look even more out of place than they already do, and since promoting Microsoft's UWP vision is one of the primary objectives of Win 10, that would be quite counterproductive.

The same would be true of adding any colors other than the stark white on white with a side of white; anything else would only emphasize the ugly grayness of UWP out of the box, with only the exception of copying the gray UWP dullness itself, which would make the entire Windows 10 "experience" seem dull and gray too. It's one of those paradoxical situations where making the color scheme more coherent between UWP and Win32 (by making Win32 as dull and gray as UWP) would be more harmful to the goal of normalizing UWP than helpful.

Oh, you were wondering about the user's needs instead of Microsoft's? Sorry, I don't understand that. How again would serving your needs promote Microsoft's agenda? I'm afraid I don't get the gist of what you're asking. Please restate the question in a form that emphasizes how it would serve Microsoft's interests so that an answer can be properly given in that context.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's a start. Now they just need to remove all the dodgy telemetry, compulsory updates and have a lifecycle of a few years between each version like they used to. That worked.

3. James 51

I still remember being excited by some of the experimental UIs a university professor showed us almost twenty years ago. Some of the things have come to pass such as searching for files instead of the more tradional nested folders but the majority of it still sits in text books. This padding was suppose to have disappeared a long time ago.

1. Korev Silver badge

Can you elaborate on what's "missing"?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What is clickable FFS ?

Do they indicate what is clickable or where one should enter text with easy-to-understand clues like 3D borders ?

Or are they still putting form over function ?

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I'll say it before Bob gets here with his pointless upper case: still fugly.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

"I'll say it before Bob gets here with his pointless upper case: still fugly."

too late. heh.

Micro-shaft can't even find a 'decent interface look' with both hands and a map [especially since windows '95 through 7 are sitting there STARING BACK AT THEM, wondering W.T.F. Micro-shaft is doing...]

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Bob?

"I'll say it before Bob gets here with his pointless upper case: still fugly."

too late. heh.

Micro-shaft can't even find a 'decent interface look' with both hands and a map [especially since windows '95 through 7 are sitting there STARING BACK AT THEM, wondering W.T.F. Micro-shaft is doing...]

POST COMMENT House rules

Oh.. I thought he meant Microsoft Bob

6. big_D Silver badge

Blur disbanded

No blurring, please!

My eyes are somehow very sensitive to blurring and I just can't cope with looking at blurred images for more than a couple of seconds. My eyes "hurt" as they constantly try and adjust and focus on the blurry image.

I can't watch a lot of reality TV and news reports, where faces, logos etc. are blurred out. It just makes my eyes sore and gives me a headache. (On a side note, why don't they sort out before filming, which logos can be shown or not? "Sorry, you can't wear that T-Shirt, it is not suitable for broadcast / we don't have the rights." With live news it isn't an option, but if you are going to be filming people for a long period of time, get it sorted before you f'ing well start filming, don't do it in post!)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Blur disbanded

They have to do it in post because, sometimes, the talent insist "I'll wear what I damn well please, and if you don't like it, cancel the show!" And since sudden cancellations have occurred over talent issues, it's something producers have to take into consideration in order to keep network bigwigs happy. As for the other instances, it's like you said: impromptu and therefore impossible to control fully: especially in public places where First Amendment issues crop up. That's why people who don't want to be taped/photographed put The Finger in front of their faces.

1. jake Silver badge

Talent? In heavily scripted, massively overproduced so-called "reality" TV?

Post proof or retract.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Talent...Post proof or retract."

I think it's just a word they have to use. Telling it like it is would only bring in the lawyers.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

That's become a problem since I've had both lenses replaced in cataract surgeries. Not too much an issue after the first, but the second? Yow! You have my sympathies.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Sorry, you can't wear that T-Shirt, it is not suitable for broadcast / we don't have the rights."

My theory is a little different. It's a protection racket. They deliberately get as many logos in as possible and then approach the companies and tell them if they don't pay an "advertising fee" then their logo will be blurred out for broadcast.

7. Smed

Continuity

I don't mine the new UI design direction, I just wish they could keep it consistent, not half arse it and finish the job. The number of old Windows 3.11 / 95 style icons that still show up in 7, 8 and 10 make the product look unfinished.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Continuity

I don't mine it, either. No paydirt, all spoil and tailings.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aero

Or maybe... just maybe.... they should bring back Aero.

WIn 10 I would actually like if it had real Aero (and I wish programs would pay attention to the theme, and not just give me a metro look)

1. Updraft102

Re: Aero

"...and I wish programs would pay attention to the theme, and not just give me a metro look..."

Apps. Programs already do pay attention to the theme; it's the apps that won't get with the program.

9. Novex

When I do need to use Windows I still use Windows 7, so Aero and the like is something I've not moved away from. It just goes to show that if you stay with a style long enough, it always comes back into fashion ;-)

1. jake Silver badge

When I need to use Windows, I use Win2K. The only thing I use it for is Acad2K.

10. AMBxx Silver badge
    WTF?

At least they're trying!

Come on, you sound like a bunch of old farts wanting nothing to change. MS might get lots wrong, but at least they try something new. Some of it will stick and become the norm. Other bits will be cast away.

1. Tromos

Re: At least they're trying!

Extremely trying.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> but at least they try something new.

Knocking off Spotify?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually they must try harder, the old gui details have to be in the archives somewhere.

4. Daggerchild Silver badge

Unfortunately humans use neural networks, and one of the downsides of doing so is that tasks that are constantly repeated get automatically laid into hardware for efficient future dispatching. When things change, that circuit has to be *actively* suppressed and the alternate *actively* promoted until the old one dies down enough and the new hardware beds in enough.

If the cycle repeats, you end up with a junkyard full of old robots that occasionally misfire as you pass and need slapping down, and the more there are, the noisier life gets.

You're going to have to rebuild the hardware for your neural interface to your computer, again, for reasons you may not agree with, and will likely have no choice over.

When you've been through a good half dozen of these, I *guarantee* you'll want them to stop.

5. The Indomitable Gall

There is a place to try something new, and it's called a "lab". Always test on "prod", never on "live", sort of thing.

MS made a rod for their own back by not abstracting their GUI libraries. This means that any time they try to change the GUI, they break consistency across apps as many aren't updated to the new paradigm. It's also meant that desktop apps have never worked well with small screens (windows run off the edges, with no way to scroll to the invisible bits) or high pixel-density screens (as text and icons shrink away to nothing)

MS keep going down the route of making a new UI a new hardcoded library, and although the "modern" UI is far friendlier in terms of intelligent scaling, the fact that it's completely distinct from "office Windows" is a major turn-off to developers.

There is a place to try something new, and it's called a "lab".

Microsoft know that. Who do you think they're using as lab rats?

6. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Stop

"I'm trying" - the excuse most often used by those who are too lazy to actually work at something and/or get it right.

Makes you wanna say "No excuse, recruit. Drop down and give me 20!"

7. Dan 55 Silver badge

The only thing I can see them trying to do is copying OS X and making it look worse. Not that OS X has been perfect since Jony Ive took over the asylum, but MS just made a more imperfect copy.

Why are window title bars now a good fraction of the window's vertical space, only with no title? What's that about?

8. Updraft102

That's because people are inherently old farts who don't want things to change. MS, like you, seems to think that change for the sake of change is a good thing, but we old farts know better-- when you get it right, don't mess with it anymore. Try something different with the bits that didn't work, not with those that did. This isn't a term project for some student in a UI design class-- we're actually going to be using these UIs, and we'd kind of like them to not be stupid and counterintuitive just so they can be "pretty" in the eyes of someone who mistakes novelty for beauty.

1. Charles 9

"That's because people are inherently old farts who don't want things to change. MS, like you, seems to think that change for the sake of change is a good thing..."

Because that's a practical business consideration. There's no long-term return in a one-and-done, which is why you never see Kirby or Electrolux vacuum cleaners in stores anymore (because anyone who bought one still uses it--makes it hard to sell new ones). There's no business like repeat business, and businesses who can't get repeat businesses into them don't tend to last long-term.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"businesses who can't get repeat businesses into them don't tend to last long-term."

Not sure about Electrolux, but Kirby are still around. (although might be a brand in a bigger org now for all I know)

2. Updraft102

"There's no business like repeat business, and businesses who can't get repeat businesses into them don't tend to last long-term..."

I've said the same about MS, that they're changing the UI simply for the sake of change so they can call it a new product and try to get people to buy what they already have. Even so, the vacuum analogy doesn't really work 1:1 with Windows.

Unlike with vacuum cleaners, few people actually go out and buy Windows as a standalone product. Windows, for the most part, piggybacks on PC sales, and as long as the PC works adequately for the users' needs, people just keep using it-- just like the vacuum.

Vacuums, unlike PCs, don't become obsolete. They either clean effectively or they do not. PCs, on the other hand, can do both: they can break AND they can become obsolete, both of which usually result in replacement of the PC and thus a new copy of Windows and another sale for MS-- and it happens quite independently of whether that Windows is new and improved or just the same old thing people have been using for years.

MS has been trying to promote PC sales (and thus Windows sales) by changing Windows for its own sake year after year, but that strategy has been a terrible failure in the post-9x days, if not in general.

Windows 95 may be the only version of Windows to ever gain market share as a direct result of UI changes. People who deliberately changed Windows versions migrated from 95 to 98 mainly for stability, while mostly avoiding ME for the same reason. They went to XP again for stability, and they found it-- and from that point on, XP would be the juggernaut that would not die, regardless of whatever new and shiny baubles MS tried to dangle in front of them with other Windows versions.

The UI changes between XP and Vista didn't stop Vista from being a failure, and 7 mostly featured the same UI as Vista, so you can't really say anyone went to 7 for the UI... and we know the 8 UI was the main reason it was such a failure too. It was arguably better than 7 in many ways, but the part that people could see (the UI) sealed Windows 8's fate.

Windows 10 is a harder nut to crack; certainly, though, it appears that when people actually have a choice in the matter, they want no part of it (as you can see in the almost flat growth of 10 after the free upgrade, though I expect to see a bump for December as a result of Christmas).

If you look at it all in retrospect, it appears that upgrades beyond 95 happened because people wanted something that crashed less and worked better, not because they wanted a new, shiny UI. Once they find something that works, they stick to it like glue-- they're not out there looking for something new, not by a long shot. They're out there looking for more of the same as what they already have, UI wise.

1. Charles 9

"If you look at it all in retrospect, it appears that upgrades beyond 95 happened because people wanted something that crashed less and worked better, not because they wanted a new, shiny UI. Once they find something that works, they stick to it like glue-- they're not out there looking for something new, not by a long shot. They're out there looking for more of the same as what they already have, UI wise."

But now we come back to the vacuum cleaners, and OS's and vacuum cleaners do share one thing in common: they still AGE. Filters need to be changed out, belts need to be replaced. Once in a while the motor needs to be changed out. At least with those old Kirby and Electrolux cleaners, their designs have been so monolithic that people know what go in them. You could end up with a Theseus Vacuum Cleaner, but it's still working. But OS's require continual support from the supplier. Of course, that's a money sink to them, especially as miscreants find more and more ways to break them. Thus they use the term End-of-Live, an incarnation of Planned Obsolescence. And there's really very little you can do in a war zone like this. Not even the law can help because that would just insert an economic motive for a company to up and quit, taking all their secrets with them (and they'll rather take their secrets to the grave than be forced to give them to "the enemy"). I'm sure many people would love to stick with XP, but given its history of being pwned within 30 seconds of going online and with plenty of known (and never-to-be-patched) exploits, diminishing returns starts to kick in.

9. Shufflemoomin

I'm sick to death of people defending Microsoft in this manner. They come up with a half-arsed UI and force change for the sake of change and any time anyone points it out, people like you take the cheap shot of claiming we just "don't like change". I like change when it's *good* change. I could take your bed away and give you some old bed clothes on the floor instead and, when you rightly complain, I can just judge you for "not liking change".

1. Charles 9

Even if that old bed was starting to rot and get bedbugs in it?

11. Anonymous Coward
  12. Zippy's Sausage Factory
    Joke

You're not a hipster unless you're still mourning OS/2.

But not version 4. That was too mainstream, obviously.

1. Swarthy
      Trollface

Re: You're not a hipster unless you're still mourning OS/2.

I do mourn OS/2 - But I am not a hipster: I hated what was cool long before it was popular.

2. jake Silver badge

I still use eComStation in a few places ...

1. PhilipN Silver badge

eCS works fine in a VM on macOS. Even the audio.

What would have been nice is if Sun's Project Looking Glass desktop had been ported to OS/2. PLG was 10 years ahead of its time. Soon it will be 20 years ahead of its time.

Blimey - it's been open-sourced :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Looking_Glass

1. jake Silver badge

PLG was always open source. Sun was a sponsor, not the owner.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Does using a mid-90s window manager for a desktop make you hipster?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Does using a mid-90s window manager for a desktop make you hipster?

No riding a fixie, dressing like a lumbersexual and using obscure new things makes you a hipster.

Id list the obscure tech but you've probably never heard of it.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

*scoff* Id respond to your OS/2 comment but you wouldnt understand.

13. J. Cook Silver badge
    Pint

As long as we are griping...

Bring back the Hot dog theme.

Or at least give us a way to re-color the various elements.

It's friday, I need one.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Pint

Re: As long as we are griping...

beer and hot dogs - Play Ball!

14. This post has been deleted by its author

Re: Rearranging the deck chairs.

"Not all of us are happy with shit like the ribbon, we want to slap the stupid out of you for that, so the ability to choose our own themes would be a big boone."

From MS's point of view ribbon was far from stupid. Between that and supporting education (getting schools to train MS Office users) they've now got a cohort of users who don't grok what you and I would call a sane interface, and hence any S/W that uses it. It's lock-in 21st century style.

Not to worry, LibreOffice is fighting back with multiple interface options.

15. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Alien

Lipstick on a pig

is still a pig. Underneath, it is still spyware.

16. David 132 Silver badge
    WTF?

Anyone notice...

...that whether it's Apple, Microsoft, Google or any other tech company, they always have to find the most achingly hip, you've-probably-never-heard-of-it musician to include in their screenshots?

"Kakoi Miku is a humanoid persona voiced by a singing synthesizer application..."

Christ on a fucking bike. Could these twats be any more achingly, self-consciously hipster if they tried?

Once, just once, I'd like to see someone at a tech company show a sense of humour and send out a screenshot showing something utterly naff. Des O'Connor. Middle Of The Road. Renée and Renato. Captain and Tenille.

...you get the idea. Instead we get stuff like "Sir, this Mongolian throat-yodelling group has put out 2 records in the last twenty years..." "GTFO, far too mainstream."

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ugh

If you want retro try XFCE out of the box. Im not hatong on it, its just a bit basic and naff looking without customisation.

Cue downvotes.

Ithankyou.

1. no-one in particular

Re: Ugh

> its just a bit basic and naff looking without customisation.

Isn't that the point, that XFCE allows (by starting out bland, encouraging) you to customise it to suit yourself, if that is the sort of thing that concerns you?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ugh

I was an XFCE user years ago… about the time when XFCE4 came out. It wasn't bad, quite a usable desktop, but I found myself back with KDE a short time later.

These days, I use FVWM, which is one of the older ones, configured with MWM-style window borders.

XFCE reminds me a lot of MacOS X with its dock … moreso than the NextSTEP-inspired AfterSTEP, and to a certain extent, CDE. As a lightweight desktop for newcomers, it isn't a bad option either. It is worth a look.

18. Ross 12

Stop trying to be cool

MS need to realise they're not a cool brand and never will be. Aside from PC gaming, Windows is mostly for corporate machines. The should stop trying to be cool and just accept that their platform is the boring corporate workhorse for office desktops and workstations.

If they really want to continue this UI 'innovation' adventure then they really ought to completely separate the UI so that business users can keep the functional classic UI (Win2k or 7 perhaps?) style but still have shiny new features. And the poor old home/casual users can have whatever the latest UI innovation is.

Since Windows 8 they've been alienating both.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stop trying to be cool

But they also feel they have a captive market. After all, breaking the monoculture would be a Project that would involve mucho dinero which will raise eyebrows with Accounting, if not the Board. Also, for many there's the matter of standards compliance, which again raises the opportunity costs for a major migration versus an evolutionary upgrade.

19. Joseph Haig

Vista?

We're going to die!

https://youtu.be/FxIUs-pQBjk?t=49s

20. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

Re: At Updraft102, re: vacume cleaners & operating systems.

That goes for peoples' spelling of vacuum too. That isn't meant to suck either.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like