back to article Puny galaxy packs a big punch: A gazillion joules' worth of radio bursts

Sorry to say this, but fast radio bursts still aren't alien communications. There is a surprise, however, in the latest science about them – the only repeating burst yet known comes from a "puny" galaxy with no obvious sources for such a cataclysmic cosmic event. We don't know quite what they are, but the galactic mysteries …

1. hekla
    Holmes

That is big

So 10 million trillion trillion joules = 1*10^31 J (a joule is tiny but 10^31 of them is not) and for a more "leReg" style unit, a kilo of hydrocarbon fuel is c40MJ, so this is 2.5*10^23 kilos of fuel or as Avogargo's number is the same order of magnitude, this is 0.4 (Avogargo's number) * (kilos of hydrocarbon fuel[such as petrol]).

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: That is big

For an El Reg style unit, may I propose the "Ergh"?

It symbolises the amount of energy it takes to prevent yourself from throwing up after mentally picturing Trump and Putin consummating their bromance.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Facepalm

It symbolises the amount of energy it takes to prevent yourself from throwing up after mentally picturing Trump and Putin consummating their bromance.

I don't know, but this kind of now-so-very-tired forced meme ach-so-Hillary-liberal-jawohl-du-schwein-deplorable talking point indeed makes me wanna puke. Preferably on the one who just uttered it.

2. Oengus
      Facepalm

Avogargo's number - you mean Avogadro's number

3. Chemist

Need to check this but I'd reckon that energy is equivalent to the relativistic kinetic energy of a ~~100 million tonnes traveling within a cat's whisker of c

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge
      Pint

Isn't Avogargo an Oz invitation to -->

5. Stretch

Nice idea hekla but I would suggest that a more appropriate measure of energy is Duracell Bunnies. So this FRB is equivalent to 30 Billion KiloBunnyHours or something :)

1. Yesnomaybe

The energy released: Doesn't that depend on how directional the burst was? I mean, yes, it's going to be big anyway, but is it coming at us in a narrow beam, or is it a sphere of radiation propagating outwards evenly? Or something in-between those two?

2. Brian Miller
    Joke

Like they said, it was...

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."

And now we have scientific evidence!

1. Oengus

Re: Like they said, it was...

That's one mighty big light sabre...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's what she said. Thanks.

2. Vic

That's one mighty big light sabre...

Sure is...

Vic.

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Science

Even more amazing than you ever thought

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Science

As a sage once said: "The Universe is not only stranger than you imagine, it's stranger than you can imagine."

It's a fun game to watch though: line up the theories in a row, and see how fast the Universe knocks them down.

4. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Coat

Obviously it's going to be dim...

All it's energy is going out as these bursts.

Ah yes, the one with the lead lining, thanks --->

1. Fizzle
      Headmaster

Re: Obviously it's going to be dim...

Thumbs down for the comma in "it's energy".

No apology, it's grumpy New Year time and a long Winter to come leaves me feeling cold at the prospect.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
        Headmaster

Mea culpa maxima - I was still asleep when I mistyped the errant punctuation. I shall report myself to the Association for the Abolition of the Abberant Apostrophe immediately.

1. Fizzle
          Happy

In that case have a thumbs up for admitting the error.

Now, let's address the other error: the correct Latin is Mea Maxima Culpa.

Next time it's a smacky botty and early to bed, so watch it!

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
            Happy

Well I'd hate to be snarky, but in the original error-strewn post, it was an apostrophe that was misplaced, not a comma. But it would be uncivil of me to point that out.

1. Blitheringeejit
              Headmaster

But typographically speaking, an apostrophe is a misplaced comma anyway.

I *love* being snarky, especially on issues of pedantry.

2. phil 27

Or Bob. I prefer Bob.

http://www.angryflower.com/247.html

Before the pedants turn on me instead, I just thought Bob the Angry Flower is a funny cartoon and deserves public airing.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Thumbs down for confusing a comma with an apostrophe.

5. Julz

Spherical

Doesn't the energy calculation assume that it is spewing out in all directions. Might it not be focused directly at us...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Spherical

"Doesn't the energy calculation assume that it is spewing out in all directions. Might it not be focused directly at us"

One of the hypotheses to read was that this was a beam which appeared to repeat when it swept past us. However, if it's continuous that would make it even more impressive.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Overlord Zarg, our death ray appears to be having no effect!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's because it is meant for Glwargian radio brain beings.

"You may radio when ready"

6. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

The only plausable explanation...

So considering that in the Star Wars films it generally doesn't take anyone with a light speed equipped ship much time to jet about from spot to spot, I'd assume that that galaxy is quite small... a bit like the one in this story.

The Galaxy in this story is also far far away... and at the distance from which we are observing is it also fair to say that what we are actually observing happened a long time ago...?

I'd summise then that the star sucking death planet space station thing in The Force Awakens has been emitting its death blasts on a higher frequency than that shown on what we can now also assume to be a documentary, rather than a work of fiction.

Thankfully it was destroyed so these emissions should stop soon. But what if those Galactic empire bastards build another... only bigger?

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
      Pirate

Re: The only plausable explanation...

"But what if those Galactic empire bastards build another... only bigger?"

But,um, we'd need to go into the future so we can see into that part of the past to find out. We need a Compressed Forward Time Travel device, because Standard Forward Time Travel is a real drag.

7. ThisPlaceInTime

Sadly

When we finally decode it we'll learn all about timeshare opportunities on the planet Zogarth.

8. Mage Silver badge
    Alien

Good News

It's far away.

I'd hate to be living in the same neighbourhood, except I'd be dead.

9. crediblywitless

Interstellar war. All over now. Move along, nothing else to see...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like