back to article 'So sorry' Evernote rips up privacy changes

Evernote has scrapped changes to its data protection practices after a furious customer backlash. Evernote now says it will not now implement the changes it announced earlier in the week come January 23, as it had planned. “We announced a change to our privacy policy that made it seem like we didn’t care about the privacy of …

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Devil

Translation

"We were caught".

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Translation

and

"we are reviewing our entire privacy policy being more careful what we say in public in future because of this."

1. TRT Silver badge

Best practice would be to make your privacy policy private.

2. John 104

This is the truth of the world we live in. Companies and people are never 'sorry' for what they did. They don't show true remorse or thoughtful reflection on their actions. They are sorry they got caught. That's it. It's a pathetic state.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"We were handed our asses to us on a plate by our customers"

4. fidodogbreath

I suspect there was also a large dollop of Silicon Valley myopia. It probably never occurred to them that users might object to the changes. Because new shinies are always an unvarnished good thing, right?

5. Oh Homer
      Facepalm

"made it seem like we didn’t care"

LOL!

2. Marc 25

damage has been done

and like Elephants, customers never forget.

KKTNXBAI

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: damage has been done

"and like Elephants, customers never forget."

Sadly, the vast majority DO forget. And quite quickly too. At best, they may vaguely remember the company name being in the news and so increases the brand awareness. It really has to be a very serious issue, possibly with criminal charges brought, before any form of publicity becomes bad publicity and even then, with the right team in charge, they can recover in time.

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

Must be disheartening

to realise you're not as big as Facebook and you can't force people to do your bidding because there is competition in your marketplace.

4. adnim
    Joke

Evernote?

I guess napkins are so 20th century.

1. Elf

Re: Evernote?

You can have my napkins when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers.

I find it amusing, actually: Geeks live and die by their notes, so when Palm (Newton if you like, Vello gave me a device to test and I refused to return it but was happy to write a check) came out we herded to that. Then laptops gave us more power so those showed up at meetings. Tablets and such next. The last meeting I was at, every suit had a gadget but Every Engineer boke out a dead tree notebook, nine of us (20 suits) From a $1.99USD composition pad (grid, naturally) to a Moleskein, and we all had rather particular writing instruments{1}. So, full circle?

Open Source ... I run OwnCloud as a subdominan on my Vanity domain, and in that OwnNote with decent client apps. No ads, none of this reading my notes bullshit. Certainly it could use a wee polish, but the benefits outweigh the detractors by orders of magnitude. It's all just markup anyway... hell I *could* just use WordPress with a category or custom content type for a particular user right if I were particularly engaged to care (I'm not).

Fun Fact: There is a bar in San Francisco where staff Will Not remove napkins from a table while bussing if the customer is still in the building as enough nerds meet to splat beer on the brain and brain on napkin.

{1} Dilbert: "I have 23 pens and pencils here, how many of them do I need to do my job?" Jr. Eng Looks...: "All of them."

1. jake Silver badge

@Elf (was: Re: Evernote?)

Objection!

No self-respecting geek or nerd would waste perfectly good beer money on San Francisco bar^h^heer^w prices.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Evernote?

"I guess napkins are so 20th century."

It's all email's fault. No envelopes so no backs of envelopes.

5. John 104

Too Late

Not going to change my mind.Thanks for trying, though.

6. King Jack
    Big Brother

Give it 3 months

In a few months they'll reintroduce them and nobody will bat an eyelid. Such is the outrage and memory of the common sheep.

7. Kraggy

I canceled my 'pro' service before they did this apparent U-turn, if they came up with that asinine 'policy' once they can do it again. I've used it for over 5 years and have a good number of documents in it but not paying for such cowboy attitudes .. looking at Peerio at the moment, first sight it looks something to be tried.

8. doke

Replacements?

What are people using instead of Evernote? I'm playing with Turtl for anything private, and Google Keep for unimportant things (ie grocery lists).

1. cd

Re: Replacements?

If you have a shared hosting account, Owncloud and other options can be had as part of the package. Some have installer as well, although I'd change the default options on directory names and places.

9. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Gimp

So its now opt in not opt out, without the option to opt out as it was.

Wow.

Took about 1 week.

David Cameron never understood this in 5 years.

Thing is though the company has lost it's customers trust.

While IRL no consumer should ever really trust any company they are now aware that this companies management are thinking about harvesting their data and they did not think they should even bother to ask first.

10. fidodogbreath

Meanwhile, on p 389 of the Ferengi print

In a seemingly non-controversial section of its privacy policy, Evernote reserves the right to disclose all of your information "...in connection with the sale or reorganization of all or part of our business, as permitted by applicable law." Successor companies, of course, would not be bound by Evernote's TOS or other policies.

This is, of course, completely typical of all cloud services; but it's a reminder that putting your data in a cloud service is like telling someone a secret. Once you have "shared" it, you no longer have any control over what they do with it.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When they raised their prices

for something that had moved from an easy interface to something more complicated than Microsoft, I dropped them anyway.

1. Spotswood

Re: When they raised their prices

That's very true. They totally lost their way on the UI. It's shite.

12. HKmk23

Not quite finished

Moving my data

1. HKmk23

Re: Not quite finished

Deleted all my data. closed my account.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Not quite finished

That's OK. They kept copies of "their" data, just in case.

13. Chris King
  14. dbannon

Tomboy

Tomboy Notes - simple, far easier to get along with than Evernote. I sync with two linux machines and two android. And, (sigh..) with the partners windows box.

Nice thing is its written in Mono (! did I really say that?) - well, with Java going away C# is going to be big, maybe !

1. Tom 7

Re: Tomboy

There is a re-write of it in C++ which has a far smaller footprint.

Zim seems more powerful but why people dont just use and HTML wysiwyg editor and your half way to proper documentation anyway!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The mere fact they CAN read your notes is the problem

I don't give a crap whether they promise they won't, I wouldn't ever trust them unless I knew it was impossible. That's why I won't use iCloud for backups, because while the backup is encrypted in transit and on disk so I'm sure it is very secure, it isn't encrypted with a key that I control. Apple can assure me they won't read my stuff, but even if I accept that I don't trust the US government not to hack into their systems or force them to provide access through some secret law - last spring's fight with the FBI shows the government still thinks they deserve this power. So I do my backups via iTunes, because they are encrypted by a key I control so they're protected even if someone stole a copy of the backup.

Fortunately I never used Evernote, but even after this little faux pas it shows that they don't have any understanding of privacy, and never will.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I'm quite sure no AI can....

... read my handwritten notes. Nor most human beings but some close ones trained by experience...

1. quxinot

Re: I'm quite sure no AI can....

>I'm quite sure no AI can....

I'm far more security-minded than you are. Even I cannot read my handwritten notes.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm quite sure no AI can....

oh wait till you created something that no one, not even you can read/decode. 100% secured encryption.

17. Mike Shepherd
    Meh

Deep learning

Suppliers often experience "deep learning" when account closures accelerate.

18. andrew34567
    Happy

xTiles

you can save this information in xtiles.app and it will be much more practical and convenient.

My templates on oficial website xTiles:

https://xtiles.app/en/templates/weekly-planning-template

https://xtiles.app/en/templates/productivity-planner-template

https://xtiles.app/en/templates/to-do-list-template

https://xtiles.app/en/templates/kanban-board-template

https://xtiles.app/en/templates/vision-board-template

https://xtiles.app/en/templates/daily-docket-planner-template

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon