back to article Persistent ad and dialler trojans found on 28 Android phones

More than two dozen cheap Androids have been found to host pre-installed malicious apps capable of downloading persistent adware and making phone calls. The phones, which include Lenovo's A6000 and A319, were discovered bearing the pre-installed malicious apps by security researchers with antivirus firm Dr Web. Dr Web reckons …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So Russian AV slinger finds malware on Russian market devices which is not clear if it was there from the factory, wholesalers or store. It's rather telling that at the bottom of the article it says:

Protect your Android device with Dr.Web now.

2. Extra spicey vindaloo

So which antivirus is the best for Android

I constantly get popup adds on my cheap android phone, I'm suspecting this is the cause of it, how can I check / reflash the phone?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So which antivirus is the best for Android

try the xda-developers site...

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Fill a bucket with water, dip repeatedly until ads disappear.

Go and get a not-so-cheap android phone.

1. Pascal

> "Go and get a not-so-cheap android phone."

And what is wrong exactly with a cheap phone?

God forbid some of us see phones as actual, you know, phones, not as a social status symbol to be derided if it's not worth more than a reasonable desktop computer.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

@Pascal

"And what is wrong exactly with a cheap phone?"

I think this article adequately describes what is wrong with a cheap phone...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Ment_al

You don't need to spend a fortune to be safe. Keep your eyes open and you'll find handsets from known brands for silly cheap prices. I bought my Motorola E 2nd gen from a brick and mortar Vodafone store on PAYG for £35, unlocked on eBay for £1.20, flashed Cyanogen Mod 14.1, now bang up to date with regular security updates. I know its not a high-end phone, but it does everything I need, and it cost less than 1 contract payment for an iShiny or Samsplode...

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

"...unlocked on eBay for £1.20, flashed Cyanogen Mod 14.1"

With respect, you're not talking here about a 'cheap' phone. You're talking about a moderately priced handset, which was intended to be subsidised by the PAYG business model, with supplementary income from a vendor-branded OS. You've made it cheap by circumventing the business model. This is not a valid comparison.

A true 'cheap' Android phone is cheap full stop; cheap manufacture from cheap components, cheap OS, and a stripped out supply chain with razor thin margins. This is where the danger is; as the incentive to do illegitimate things to earn supplementary income is far higher than when there's a 200% profit margin on the hardware.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Root it first. They getting rid of stuff becomes essy

1. Lotaresco

"Root it first. They getting rid of stuff becomes essy"

"Easy" or "messy"? I'm going with "messy" because a rooted, malware infested phone is going to be that, messy.

3. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Bloatware

Hard to tell what's real and what's fake given the amount of bloatware installed by the manufacturers. Some app suddenly appears? It must have been an update... maybe the manufacturer will update Jellybean soon...

Basically, if you are not running the current Android release then you are a lot more vulnerable than you would be otherwise, sic.

4. lglethal Silver badge
    Go

Actual question

While I consider myself relatively computer literate, when it comes to Android, its basically a black box to me. So my question for you esteemed commentards - What are the best ways to protect your phone? Are there trusted sites from which i can scan my phone to check for any malware? Whilst I'm currently using AVG (which I'm beginning to consider to be an adware product in its own right, due to the number of ads I get begging me to upgrade it to the paid version!) and have the latest Version of Android im probably protected, but are there any othe programs I should be looking at? On a PC you never rely on just a single product for safety as they rarely catch them all, but on Android, what to do, what to do?

1. dajames

Re: Actual question

What are the best ways to protect your phone?

That is a very good question.

Are there trusted sites from which i can scan my phone to check for any malware?

How would that work, then? You'd have to have an associated app running on the Android phone to talk to the site and performing the scan on its behalf ... and how would you know to trust that app?

I'm currently using AVG (which I'm beginning to consider to be an adware product in its own right, due to the number of ads I get begging me to upgrade it to the paid version!)

AVG is one of a number of AV suppliers who used to give away good products, but who have since become more and more commercial. I've no objection to paying for good software (if it really is good) but AVG's aggressive use of advertising has led to my ceasing to regard them as a serious contender. I may be doing them a disservice, but frankly I can't be bothered to suffer the ads to find out.

[I] have the latest Version of Android [so] im probably protected

If you really have Nougat -- it's not yet available on many devices -- that's probably the best thing you can do to stay secure. Just stay away from questionable apps.

2. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Malware bytes has a version for Android. I have no idea how good it is as it's never found anything wrong or dodgy with mine, and I'm not going to install anything which is dodgy just to see if it does.

1. tony2heads

I have used Malwarebytes on android. It found 2 malware apps which I removed; since then the system works OK.

1. lglethal Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Well since I'm very happy with MalwareBytes on my PC, I will definitely give it a go on Android. Cheers for that suggestion! And I think I'll take the chance to get rid of AVG. Alas fair AVG, you once were good, but now your a stinking pile of Adware...

3. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

"...So my question for you esteemed commentards - What are the best ways to protect your phone?"

I'm sorry to say it, and I'm sure I'll be downvoted to hell and back, but the best way to protect your phone and make use of modern functionality is to buy a phone from a vendor with a tightly controlled, curated ecosystem where the revenue mode is clear and transparent; e.g. Handset margin.

As opposed to a vendor-aggregated, 'free at point of use' system where it's anything but clear to Joe User where the company makes its money. Because Joe only cares about the initial price tag, he's opening himself up to a world of hurt later down the road as vendors fight to survive in a world where in order to maintain that minuscule price tag, they are forced to look to ever more obscure routes (in some cases illegal) in order to supplement their revenue.

A tightly controlled, closed ecosystem with a transparent business model based on sky high profit margins on both software and hardware? Sheesh, wish I could think of one.

Sent from my iPhone

1. Alistair
        Windows

@ LordElpuss:

While there is reasonable logic in your argument, and you get credit for disclosure, the error here is that *since you can* afford the sky high profit device, sadly, you are now a more desirable target. That said, the infra around that device, does seem to have a somewhat better leash on things. But only somewhat.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The best way is not to install any crappy apps and pay attention to the permissions asked for when installing. Always download from the Play store* unless it is a significant vendor like Amazon and refuse to install anything that asks for excess permissions.

Never install anything that pops up on a website when you are browsing and avoid free games that don't come from well known publishers.

Make sure your phone is from a vendor that updates the android security patches regularly.

All of that will keep you pretty safe.

*That is not to say anything on the Play store is safe, just outside it you are generally at a greater risk.

5. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

So. And now...

How the actual ding dong do you scan properly for malware/bloatware/crapware/shitware on an Android device without rooting it?

1. tony2heads

Re: So. And now...

ALWAYS root.

Most firms don't care about your android device once they have your money, so the only way to keep it safe is to root.

6. adam payne

It seems like the only option here is to boycott the companies. If no one is buying then they'll soon change their ways.

1. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Try boycotting Samsung or Huawei as they are one of the offenders as well...

7. RAMChYLD

Lenovo phones have WHAT?

Another black mark for Lenovo I guess. Between Superfish, locking people out of installing Linux on their laptop, and now this...

8. imanidiot Silver badge

"Mostly landfill Androids from odd places, but Lenovo makes the list too"

So that would be ONLY landfill Androids from odd places?

9. Lotaresco
    WTF?

Just how bad..

... does the news about Android have to get before the Android fan boys admit that there may be a problem? This news is about as bad as security news gets, the vendors are deliberately selling phones pre-infested with malware. That's "do not touch this with a barge pole" territory because even if you manage to clean off the stuff that an anti-malware package can find, you have no idea what other stuff is lurking in there. Previous experience with supply chain corrupt practices also suggests that it won't be long until the vendor is issuing "patches" that put the malware back onto the phone. That's what happened with "Bad USB" patches for USB devices that had malware embedded in the firmware.

Yet here we see people apparently happy to root their phone (hence giving the malware unfettered access to everything) and hoping that they may be able to scrape the bugs off.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like