back to article New British flying robot killer death machines renamed 'Protector'

The UK Ministry of Defence has tried to rebrand its latest batch of airborne death machines as “Protector” drones rather than their actual trade name of Reaper. The so-called Protector drones are actually based on the latest model of the General Atomics MQ-9 Reaper drone – known in its latest variant as the Predator – which …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wedding-guest? Meatfucker?

1. Christoph

Slaughter McSlaughterface?

1. TRT Silver badge

I think that our resident down voter would prefer "Defendery Mc Defenderface" or "Protecting-the-nationy McNationface".

1. Kurt Meyer

@ TRT

"I think that our resident down voter would prefer "Defendery Mc Defenderface" or "Protecting-the-nationy McNationface"."

Or, perhaps, the 'Fill-in-the-blank-McBlankface' joke has gotten old. Very old.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Pry Minister"

2. Shugyosha

@Kurt Meyer

This is a site where one in every two threads will eventually break into a four decades old Monty Python routine. Here, the older and more hackneyed the joke, the more appreciated it is.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
              Coat

Re: @Kurt Meyer

"Here, the older and more hackneyed the joke, the more appreciated it is."

And many of us have took an arrow to knee in defence of this honourable tradition.

3. not.known@this.address

Not a surprise though

As we live in a nation where the most popular "celebrity" in a TV show is only a celebrity because she is in a TV show that is nothing more than a bunch of characterful people watching and talking about OTHER TV shows, it should be no surprise that so many people find "(%)y Mc(%)face" so funny.

I really do worry about who is going to look after me in the few years between retiring and dying... the current up-and-coming generations are about as reassuring as a chocolate fireguard...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Ex officio

I suppose he's the Ministry of Truth's official troll.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge

Much better name:

Fluffy Bunny Sir Hugs-a-Lot.

1. Mayhem

Actually sir fluffy bunny isn't too far from the truth

Have a read of https://www.wired.com/2011/01/death-wears-a-snuggie/

My favourite is the shoulder patch for one group of missileers...

Nuclear Missile Combat Crew - Death Wears Bunny Slippers

1. Santa from Exeter
            FAIL

Adblocker - blocked :-(

I would read it, but as I run an Ad Blocker, Wired has decided not to show me anything past the first screen.

2. fidodogbreath

(Un)happy Ending?

3. Mog_X

Upvote for the Culture reference. Other suitable names could be 'Well I Was In The Neighbourhood' , 'Outstanding Contribution to the Historical Process' or 'Honest Mistake'

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My favourite

"Accidental Mistake". (Which seems to betray a guilty awareness that some mistakes are intentional).

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: @ Shugyosha

I think @Kurt Meyer might have come here for an argument.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shouldn't these be paid for the the US? After all, they are being used to do their dirty work.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Is the finger that pushes the missile launch button for this gadget American or British?

1. annodomini2

RAF pilot but based in the US.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

When did they move out of RAF Waddington?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Less direct

I think you'll find that American government money has paid for some less obvious assets in the UK. Hence, perhaps, some of our "defence" decisions. Otherwise, who could possibly believe that slaughtering lots of innocent civilians in Asia and Africa contributes to our safety?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As in "We had to kill all the inhabitants of the village in order to Protect them" ?

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Joke

No ones going to hurt them in the future, are they now?

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Mushroom

Peacekeep at will with extreme prejudice.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The Peacekeepers in Farscape spring to mind...

1. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Oh dear ..

Now't wrong with Peacekeepers ... Claudia Black ... err ... where's the tap for the cold shower? :-)

3. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Module Protector.exe killed process Inhabitants.exe to protect village kernel.

Please reboot. If problems persist, please contact support@porkbarrelldeathmachinemaker.com

4. macjules

For Your Protection

"The AGM-114 Hellfire now being fired towards you is simply for your added protection. Please note that your death is being recorded and may be used to assist in future staff training"

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: For Your Protection

s/fired towards you/complimentarily deployed for your immediate attention/g

Otherwise it's all good.

5. Arthur the cat Silver badge

'Reaper' and 'Predator' were too aggressive

Given that they regularly attack wedding parties, they should have gone for "pre-emptive mother-in-law problem remover". That actually sounds useful.

1. Mark 85

Re: 'Reaper' and 'Predator' were too aggressive

Every time I hear it called the Reaper, I get an ear bud from Blue Oyster Cult. Scary....

6. Gasp!

ha!

Brimstone is a bit dark as well - renamed Jellystone

1. Tony Haines

Re: ha!

"The RAF’s [Protectors] will carry Brimstone 2 missiles"

I agree, too severe. Perhaps we could call them "goodwill ambassadors"

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Perhaps we could call them "goodwill ambassadors"

Isn't that what Trump wanted Farage for?

Come to think of it if you are looking for a name for something that falls from the sky and causes widespread damage while protecting the UK from foreign invaders then "Farage" might be about right.

It would at least present some decent challenges for the newsreader who had to report on Farage barrage carnage of a marriage carriage.

1. PhillW

how about shooting Farage out of one of them?

Could be followed by a bunker busting trump (fnar fnar) just to ensure the kill!

1. macjules

That's going a bit far. We are signatories to the Geneva Convention you know. Firing Farage at our enemies could be considered grounds for an ICT hearing.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Potentially amusing, until you recollect that Farage has always come out strongly against said slaughtering. (He doesn't make an issue of it unless asked a specific question, because sadly it's such a vote-loser).

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Reinforcment of good will."

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I agree, too severe. Perhaps we could call them "goodwill ambassadors"

Or just call them Boris Johnsons. They have about the same effect on foreign relations.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ha! - Brimstone is a bit dark as well - renamed Jellystone

The RN used to give its smaller ships friendly names like Kingfisher or Gannet. Till you remember that kingfishers and gannets are pretty deadly when you're fish-shaped.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

The RN used to give its smaller ships friendly names like Kingfisher or Gannet. Till you remember that kingfishers and gannets are pretty deadly when you're fish-shaped.

There were Flower class sloops in the First World War, and Flower class corvettes in the Second. HMS Daffodil doesn't seem that aggressive.

There have also been several ships called HMS Terrible, the last a 1940s aircraft carrier. Maybe reviving that name would be a little too close to the truth, given the aircraft carriers that don't have any aircraft, the destroyers that can't be used in warm water etc.

1. lglethal Silver badge
          Trollface

To paraphrase from Sir Terry

We can call them Terrific, i.e. they inspire terror...

2. Roj Blake Silver badge

There was also the Insect-class, with names such as Dragonfly and Cockchafer

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

<i<The RN used to give its smaller ships friendly names like....Gannet.</i>

Friendly only to people who don't know what a gannet is.

If the twats who give names to military products had thought for about 20 nanoseconds, they'd have realised that instead of "Brimstone", "Hellfire", Statanic Death" or the other usual missile names, they would have had far less of a PR problem choosing names like "Gannet", "Kingfisher", and "Kinell".

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Kinell".

Does that come in an F variant? F-Kinell?

7. SkippyBing

I have heard the name change was driven by our former Prime Minister, you know, the one who couldn't organise a referendum, as he didn't feel it would go across well if he announced we were buying drones with too aggressive a name. It's a bit odd as we stopped giving foreign military equipment a different name in WW2 as we found it just got confusing trying to order spares etc. Hence we named the Wildcat the Martlet and the Avenger the Tarpon for a bit until sanity prevailed.

There was a slight logic to the renaming as the UK had a policy with naval fighters being named after birds, naval bombers after game fish, land fighters being named after meteorological phenomena etc. I mean there probably is still a policy we just don't make enough for it to be noticeable now.

1. TRT Silver badge

So the new policy is...

To name them after "Golden era" ITC TV shows...

Might I suggest then...

The Persuader.

The Avenger.

The Champion.

The Adventurer.

The Baron.

The Saint.

The Jason King.

All handled by Department S, of course.

1. Jemma

Re: So the new policy is...

More like

The Arthur

The Uncle Albert

The Rodney

The Frank (Spencer or Drebin)

The Trigger

The Granville

I could go on...

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Or in honour of the late Peter Vaughan, The Grouty.

1. TRT Silver badge

Grouty McGroutface. The tiler.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There was a slight logic to the renaming as the UK had a policy with naval fighters being named after birds, naval bombers after game fish, land fighters being named after meteorological phenomena etc.

Which is OK if you understand there IS a naming convention.

I spent years dealing with a server called "Skimmer," and it wasn't until I came across the server "Heron" that I understood suddenly. (Of course, the VAX was named "Dodo", but that's another story)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: keeping American names - Surely when ordering parts, they are referred by model number ( ie: An G65HN for the Q479QB-7) ?

1. SkippyBing

'keeping American names - Surely when ordering parts, they are referred by model number ( ie: An G65HN for the Q479QB-7)'

These days probably yes, but it doesn't help when you're working with allies if you refer to something they use by a completely different name. If you uses the common name they know it's capabilities and limitation, if you use your own they may task it inappropriately or sideline it.

In WW2 the RN in the Pacific found quoting every number you could find on a part plus the aircraft it was for was the only way to guarantee getting the correct replacement. Aircraft weren't just being produced by the original manufacturer and they found unless you got parts from the factory that made that individual aircraft they wouldn't necessarily fit. In a number of cases this was because one factory was using decimal inches while the other was using fractional ones.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

On the other hand we more or less led the way in giving US equipment more interesting names.

Tomahawk and Kittyhawk being more interesting - and distinguishable - than P40-B Warhawk and P40D Warhawk. Havoc for a version of the Douglas A-20 which they then adopted.

1. Jemma

A-20...

It was called Havoc because trying to fly the things in formation caused havoc, they were notorious for having about the same level of pilot visibility as you'd have sitting in a cardboard box in a snowstorm. Certainly not Douglas's finest hour (still better than the Fairy Barracuda, it's party trick was dousing its pilots (in the face) with hydraulic fluid at such high pressures it knocked them unconscious).

You paraphrase FIAT they were both "designed by morons, built by peons".

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: The Uncle Albert...

notorious for sinking ships?

8. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

5 million each for a toy plane?

you could power the NHS for 1/2 hour with that kind of money!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

5 million each for a toy plane?

you could power the NHS for 1/2 hour with that kind of money!

Except that without them we'd be screwed. Protector seems apt: protecting our nation's security.

1. Hollerithevo

Protecting us? Really?

Do you really think sending robot killing machines (to quote the article) over other countries to slaughter the innocent and guilty alike (if they happen by chance to find a 'guilty' person) is making us safer? How? I thought the use of these was intensifying the hatred of us in countries where they are being used.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Protecting us? Really?

Exactly. But then the idea is not to make "us" - the citizens - safer. What's the percentage in that? No, the idea is to stir up outrage and hatred against us. If only one in a million of the people whom we have bereaved and scarred takes up arms against us, that is quite enough to keep the ridiculous fiction of "terrorism" alive and well. Which in turn allows our governments to maintain a fictitious state of war, progressively abolishing our rights and forbidding anty critical oversight of their actions. As witness the fates of Chelsea Manning, Julian Asange, Edward Snowden, and many others whose only "crimes" were to tell the citizens about the illegal actions and lies of their own governments.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Please explain

Er, how exactly does killing large numbers of more or less random people in faraway countries "protect" the UK? Arguably if the Americans and Europeans had not shoved their armed forces in where they were not welcome and killed (literally) millions of South Americans, Africans and Asians, there would be no "terrorist threat".

Of course our governments would really hate that, because then they would have no excuse for declaring a state of continual war which allows them to get away with progressively removing all our freedoms.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Why only buy 20? You could buy 15 for the cost of an F35, they don't need catapult launchers, and we have a couple of carriers with lots of spare space...

1. 's water music

we have a couple of carriers with lots of spare space...

Don't use Watchkeepers then (suggested rename: Warm Milk & Cookies?). Presumably HMS Brenda will be even more likely to have a wet runway than a Welsh airfield. (assuming it doesn't turn out to require cripplingly expensive 'upgrades' to make it float or something)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why buy any at all?

No matter how "cheap" they are - although any family that was given the cost of a single drone could retire and live in luxury for the rest of their lives - they accomplish nothing except to build up enduring reservoirs of hatred against us. You and I may know it's just a handful of deranged politicians and army officers who are responsible, but to the victims' families and friends it's "the British" or even "the Anglo-Saxons" in general.

9. Mark Barton

From what I understand these drones have gone through the correct certification allowing them to fly in a mixed airspace, alongside civilian aircraft.

Which means for the first time the RAF will be able to fly them within UK airspace, the previous Reapers were never flown here.

Interestingly the whole thing except for the pilots is contracted out to a commercial company, including weapons loading, which means the missiles do not need to conform to UK MOD air certificates it all runs under US standards.

1. SkippyBing

'which means the missiles do not need to conform to UK MOD air certificates it all runs under US standards'

I think there is a reciprocity agreement in place where the UK MoD accepts US DoD airworthiness standards and vice versa. I say I think because I can't remember if it was with the US and we were planning one with A N Other country or vice versa. Similar to how EASA and the FAA accept aircraft certified by each other.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Look up...

"Which means for the first time the RAF will be able to fly them within UK airspace, the previous Reapers were never flown here".

Which means that, every time you type something critical of the government (or their bosses across the Pond) you should get into the habit of looking up at the sky. Just in case. Keep the window open so you can listen for the sound of motors, and make sure you have a prepared escape route.

"Yes, it was a gas explosion. Keep well back now... Isn't it a shame how careless some people are with their gas?"

10. I am the liquor

US-made Paveways? They're not going to use the Scottish-made ones that the RAF uses for everything else? Or was that sentence just sloppy journalism?

1. Professor Clifton Shallot

"US-made Paveways? They're not going to use the Scottish-made ones that the RAF uses for everything else? Or was that sentence just sloppy journalism?"

Well, they are made by us ...

2. SkippyBing

It may not be sloppy journalism, different variants of Paveway are manufactured in different places. The ones made in Scotland are Paveway IV and are only used by the RAF and Royal Saudi Air Force and have various extra features. We had to ask the US for export permission for those as it's originally their toy. It's not inconceivable that the UK manufactured variant hasn't been cleared on the Predator and so they'll use Paveway II which is indeed US made.

Just checked, Paveway IV doesn't seem to be cleared on Predator/Reaper/Droney McDroneFace, only on Harrier, Tornado and Typhoon with some trials having taken place on Lightning II.

1. I am the liquor

Possible, but I doubt it. Brimstone isn't used on the current drones either. Almost certainly if they are commissioning a new aircraft type to carry new weapons, that will include Paveway IV.

11. Jemma

hmm..

Was "Pansy" taken?

Or how about "nonce" (not on normal carnage exercise).

I sure hope we don't disagree with the US in the future, our armed farces won't outlast the week.. Even worse..

RAF BOFH: So, you bought drones from our current enemy, and you didn't think to change the Admin password?

RAF BOSS: But we were friends then... It seemed a little rude..

RAF BOFH: And of course, reducing Milton Keynes to rubble was the height of good manners..

RAF PFY: I don't know, I've been looking for a cheap rockery...

Theresa May (TM); what could possibly go wrong?

12. El_Fev

Wedding Parites

Yeah sure it was a wedding party, that explains all the AK47's got to love thick liberals!

1. JimC

Re: Wedding Parites[sic]

Yes, I mean, what sort of bizarre culture would associate weapons with wedding celebrations?

linky - Naval Wedding

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wedding Parites

Oh do get a life and learn a bit about the world around you.

I am saying this as someone who had to spend three night in 1994 on the floor because of this

There are parts of the world (even in Europe) where the population is armed at least as much as Texas and with actual combat armament, not toys from Wallmart. They also have the habit of firing them up in the air for significant occasions like marriage, childbirth, New Year or their team eliminating Germany or Argentina in the World Cup.

Quoting the news anchor on Bulgarian National TV the night when Bulgaria kicked Germany out of the World Cup finals: "Tonight, Sofia center looked like Rio mid-carnival. The suburbs, looked like Sarajevo". He was spot on - I nearly sh*** myself when every second balcony on Sofia Uni student campus around us opened up with tracer bullets (not just AK47s, there actual machine guns and heavy armament being fired). The really funny bit - the government had no clue just how much the population is armed. They (and the Eu - BG was early in the process of applying for membership) were horrified when they realised that 25-50% of the population have actual real military kit in their house (with ammunition for it).

1. Mark 85

So how did they celebrate before automatic weapons? Fire arrows into the air? Chuck spears mightily?

1. Chris G

Before automatic weapons, there were six centuries of gunpowder based weapons. The arabs have had gunpowder since the mid 14th century when the invading Mongols introduced it, so I guess they fired muzzle loading rifles into the air. Bows and arrows are so yesteryear!

When a friend of mine was in Afghanistan in the '70s, he said the locals would often go into the street and fire off their locally made Mauser and Lee Enfield rifles to celebrate almost anything.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So how did they celebrate before automatic weapons? Fire arrows into the air?

That is also on the menu. They do it with a compound bow and bengal fire firework attached to the arrows. It has been a standard feature of New Years Eve for 40+ in Sofia years and counting. It looks stunning versus the background of AK47 tracer bullets coming out of the apartment blocks and so do the fires in the parking lot if you undershoot, overshoot or shoot in the wrong direction as a result of having way too many Slivovica before that.

Not joking - seen the aftermath quite a few times when I used to live there.

As I said - in some parts of the world people are nuts and compared to them your average AR15 yielding Texan Redneck is a harmless boyscout.

3. F111F
      Alert

While living in Saudi Arabia, I heard my Saudi counterpart's smartphone on speaker with sounds of gunfire. I joking asked "Family reunion?" His reply: "Yes! We were celebrating a wedding!" I asked if they fired the guns in the city, and the answer was yes, they did, but they used the small bullets as they "disintegrate in the air". I corrected him, but not sure if it really sunk in...

4. Chris G

By that logic, any 'civilian' carrying an assault rifle isfair game for a Predator strike.

So Texas, Oregon and a few other US states are due for a bit of depopulation then.

5. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

> Yeah sure it was a wedding party, that explains all the AK47's got to love thick liberals!

Wigget, why don't you and the propeller of the Zumwalt both meet?

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wedding Parites [sic]

Isn't it funny how people who, in their own country, absolutely insist in the right to bear arms, somehow think it's also their right to kill anyone within 20-30 yards of anyone bearing arms in a foreign country? As in, someone else's country where you have no right even to go without permission from that country's government - and you cannot ever have any right to kill someone just because you don't like the cut of their jib?

Now imagine that, one day perhaps fairly soon, this situation comes to the USA. Anyone who has a weapon, carried openly or concealed, may at any time be obliterated together with anyone else nearby - and just because they had that weapon, it's not even a matter for the justice system.

13. oldcoder

Ah... the Newspeak.

Still.. "protector" is better than "doubleplusunpredator".

Shorter, and easier to say.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Susan

THEY REALLY WANTED TO MAKE SURE, DIDN'T THEY?

15. F111F
    Headmaster

Base Names

RAF put their service designation before the base name, the US does it opposite. So, RAF Lakenheath works for the UK, but it would be "Creech AFB in Nevada", or " the USAF's Creech Air Force Base in Nevada"; or something similar.

/rant

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Base Names

RAF put their service designation before the base name, the US does it opposite. So, RAF Lakenheath works for the UK, but it would be "Creech AFB in Nevada", or " the USAF's Creech Air Force Base in Nevada"; or something similar.

The USAF, yes. The Navy does it the other way around e.g. Naval Air Station Beeville

16. Simon Harris

The Protector...

sounds like it should be the name of an extra strong condom.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: The Protector...

Protector - at some times you'll need one.

2. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

Re: The Protector...

It *was* the name of the ship in Galaxy Quest, though.

17. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Why not give them individual friendly names?

They could start with: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen, Rudolf and Olive.

1. Vinyl-Junkie
      Coat

Re: Why not give them individual friendly names?

or Pugh, Pugh, Barney, McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Why not give them individual friendly names?

Ironic, since we bought them from Trumpton.

18. ArrZarr Silver badge
    Big Brother

Brought to you by the Ministry of Peace, in association with the Ministry of Truth - the new Protector drone, equipped with hot chocolate 2 missiles!

19. Mike Moyle

Still waiting for someone to name their killer drone the Flying Monkey.

"I've got a wing of Flying Monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them!"

1. Jemma

Flying monkeys...

"Fly, my Stupids, Fly"

20. magickmark
    Thumb Up

We thank our clients for their kind interest and would ask them to leave. Now!

It is most gratifying that your enthusiasm for our planet continues unabated. And so we would like to assure you that the guided missiles currently converging with your ship are part of a special service we extend to all of our most enthusiastic clients… And the fully armed nuclear warheads are, of course, merely a courtesy detail. We look forward to your custom in future lives. Thank you.

21. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Protector

Because 'Dalek' was already taken? And these drones aren't slowed down by a curb.

1. Jemma

Re: Protector

Don't bet on it...

22. phuzz Silver badge

"robot killing devices"

Wouldn't that be a device for killing robots, should it perhaps be "robotic killing devices"?

1. Simon Harris

I'm sure you could kill robots with it too if you really wanted to.

23. hippiegunnut

Anyone else

think of the space ship in Galaxy Quest?

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Brimstone missiles ?

should be renamed "Cuddler" or "Cwtch"

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope the name actually includes the quotation marks.

26. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Protector

That's what they called cyborg policewoman/killing machine from the future in Continuum. Not reassuring!

27. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

The "Protector"?

May(s) Attacks!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vUrAMxmO_A

28. Mike 16

It's a perfectly Cromwellent name

That is all.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

just call them trump air lines

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

They are already Obama air lines. No change expected.

30. Winkypop Silver badge
    Mushroom

Maxwell's silver hammer

Bang, bang, Maxwell's silver hammer

Came down upon his head

Do do do do do

Bang, Bang, Maxwell's silver hammer

Made sure that he was dead

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Protector"

Named by the Ministry of Peace with advice from the Ministry of Truth.

Exercise your doublethinking ! Long live Big Brother!

32. ukgnome

AKA The Brittany

Oops I did it again

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like