back to article Own goal for Scottish Football Association as fans sent phishy emails

Phishing emails ostensibly from the Scottish Football Association (SFA) were sent to subscribers on Monday as the result of a breach. The SFA blamed a breach at a third-party supplier for a leak of sensitive info that was used in an attempt to trick recipients into opening a dodgy email that appeared under the guise of an …

1. Danny 2

Too greedy

They might have got away with it if they'd asked for £17, they obviously don't know Scotland fans.

It's an own goal for the SFA but we're still ahead of Malta.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Too greedy

£170 for pub league football?

1. Just Enough

The SFA doesn't run any league.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They might have got away with asking English fans for £170, though. Just tell them it was the invoice for their ticket to the next Chelsea game.

'Course, some people might have twigged when they remembered that they hadn't booked the cheap seats.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. EveryTime

"Insider threat"?

This isn't an "insider threat". This is an outsourcing threat.

Yes, it's normal to contract out relationship management to companies with expertise. Which then outsource to third parties that have no concern about your customer base.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Insider threat"?

When you let 3rd parties inside your mailing lists and contact databases, they become insiders. Target and others learned this lesson the hard way.

4. Seanmon

Hmm

I once worked with a guy who, last I heard, was working at the SFA. Fellah was once lucky not to make the news for building a system for the NHS which had SQL injection holes all over it. Same age as me and at the time we worked together he had never heard the terms "script kiddie" or "staging server", to name a couple that come to mind.

I have a very clear idea of how this may have happened.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like