back to article Rivals' keyword marketing activity censured by High Court

Online marketing activity carried out separately by two rival bathroom retailers respectively infringed trade mark and passing off rights, the High Court in London has ruled. The case related to keyword advertising on Google's search engine by Victoria Plum and Victorian Plumbing. Keyword adverts appear when words an …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Phil W

Re: Gavels.

No they don't, I believe it's an Americanism. Is it just coincidence that their judiciary system borrows a feature from a system used for selling stuff to the highest bidder?

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

If I typed victoria plum into a search engine this is what I'd expect to find https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_plum

If I were in the market for what this company sells I'd go elsewhere as a matter of principle.

3. TheProf

Victorian Plumbing

Think about it. Do you want a house full of 100 year old pipes, china and water geysers?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Excluding the lead piping, I'll take a bath built to last (and has done so), over some fibre glass job any day.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If I were going to go the "Full Victorian" id not worry about the bath failing as id probably only use it once a fortnight and go "Garth Marenghi" and just rinse the key areas on the intervening days.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

" id not worry about the bath failing"

What about your ego?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is Google not also at fault

by providing and profiting from a service that provides this illegal behaviour ?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At least this was ..

.. a plumb job.

What? Hey, it's Monday, that all I can manage right now.

:)

7. Natalie Gritpants

Wisdom of Solomon is required here

Both companies to be wound up for prattishness and "Victoria[n] Plum[b[ing]]" removed from available trademarks

1. 's water music
      Childcatcher

Re: Wisdom of Solomon is required here

Stretching the refernce to its limit (as is only sensible) perhaps both keyword sets should be split in two and divided between the parties. One could have Victorian Victoria and the other Plum Plumbing. They could both be offered shitshow which might garner a few hits.

Icon for the tradesman.

8. Paul Woodhouse

WTF.... so apart from the lawyers of course, who actually won there?

9. whileI'mhere

One or other of them will no doubt be creating a "win fountain" and calling it a Victory Plume.

10. Joe Harrison

Fear the Russian airstrike

Vladimir Putin sounds confusingly similar to Victorian Plumbing. He won't mess about with no court order.

11. d3vy

I always thought Victorian running was an odd name for the company.

It immediately makes me think of out door toilets and chamber pots.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like