back to article Merkel calls for balanced approach to data protection

EU countries must not be too restrictive in how they apply EU data protection laws or risk damaging the development of big data projects, German chancellor Angela Merkel has said. Germany has traditionally been cautious over data collection, but if countries are too restrictive then "big data management will not be possible", …

1. Vimes

Big data often benefits big business.

Why should we give a shit about their needs, much less spend any time 'balancing' them with ours?

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"In Germany we have the principle of 'data minimisation', but we may have to give a little on that. Such a principle doesn't seem as appropriate when you are looking at big data,"

Wrong way round. Big data doesn't seem so appropriate when you are looking at the principle of data minimisation. It's big data that needs to give.

3. Joe Harrison

Translation

"Certain other agencies from certain other countries have had a quiet word with me and told me to weaken our data protection standards"

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suppose it may be useful to have big data on everyone's race, religion, sexual preference.

5. Howard Hanek
    Childcatcher

History Repeats Itself

The STASI would have agreed.........certainly.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is a coincidence she just re-candidate herself?

Does she needs better polls than the last ones? And hopes "big data" could help?

When the data are big, it's far easier to lose your path... and find the wrong answer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is a coincidence she just re-candidate herself?

Tons of experience dealing with and observing others in various fields using Big Data. Taking the wrong path and drawing the wrong conclusions happens far more often than chance would indicate. This isn't going to be pretty.

7. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Balanced Approach

1) You can have and process my personal data if I give it to you.

2) You can share my data if I consent to.

3) If you share my data without my consent you shall rot in hell, i.e. die the slow death of litigation.

This is what I call a balanced approach. And I can't see how this is limiting opportunities.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like