back to article Dyn Dyn Dyn – we have a buyer: Oracle gobbles Internet of Things DDoS victim

Oracle is buying Dyn, the internet infrastructure outfit whose A-list customers were struck by a global DDoS from internet-attached "things" in October. The software giant is buying Dynamic Network Services (Dyn) to speed up cloud computing traffic. Financial terms were not disclosed Dyn's platform controls and optimises …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

So what are Oracle's plans for Dyn?

Make it non free?

As a Dyn user I and I am sure many others would like to know how Oracle are going to mess it up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So what are Oracle's plans for Dyn?

Though I don't doubt Oracle will find some way to mess it all up, I thought Dyn had already dropped their free plans a few years back.

1. Orv Silver badge

Yes and no. They don't have any now, but I bought a lifetime membership back when they first launched, and I've been grandfathered in ever since.

1. Lee D Silver badge

Same.

It's pay-for for anything interesting but if you had an account from back in the day and paid anything, you get a lot more benefits than you would now.

But, to be honest, I'm now just looking for something else because Oracle will ruin it like everything else they touch.

Worst case, I do some wasted research.

Best case, I've already gone elsewhere by the time it goes downhill.

1. Orv Silver badge

After what they did to Sun, I'm thinking that sounds prudent.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I movd to no-ip. So far, so good.

1. Adam JC

Yikes. I take it you missed the whole Microsoft palaver back in 2014 then...?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Seizes-No-IP-Domain-Names-Without-Notice-448981.shtml

23 of No-IP.com's domains were nulled overnight. Caused absolute carnage, took weeks to fully recover.

2. Aitor 1

I was with them since year one.. but as they droped free services.. no longer.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hello cloudflare.

2. Adam 52 Silver badge

I would predict:

Massive price rises

Intolerable changes to the terms and conditions

UI changes that turn one click into twenty

Breaking and inconsistent undocumented API changes

2. David Nash Silver badge

I think they did. I signed up for a paid-for dynamic DNS account, IIRC that was because they were dropping the free service.

I don't mind the modest fees, let's hope they stay that way.

3. Guus Leeuw

With Oracle?

Dear Sir,

I have been trying to get away from Sunacle for a good few years now, but it's not been easy... MariaDB finally is mainstream for a lot of distros, so I thought I was finally getting out...

Now this. While I don't mind Larry, I certainly do not want to put money into his sailing expeditions.

I'll be starting to offer small-fee DNS services myself over the next couple of months.

Regards,

Guus

1. Gary Bickford

Re: With Oracle?

"While I don't mind Larry, I certainly do not want to put money into his sailing expeditions."

Actually for me that's the only thing he does that I _would_ support! :)

4. Nate Amsden

seems like a good deal for Oracle

(Enterprise Dyn customer for 7 years now across 3 companies, have never used their free services)

I bet the attack got Dyn on Oracle's radar just how important they(Dyn) are to many companies out there in cloud. Oracle has lots of cash to blow and seems like Dyn is likely to be dirt cheap compared to a lot of their purchases.

As a Dyn customer I like the idea of Dyn staying independent, certainly do not believe the attack hurt their business all that much(all of their paying customers especially the big ones are well aware of the DDoS risks).

I just think that some big exec had an "aha" moment(again after the attack surfaced how critical Dyn is) and decided to give Dyn an offer they felt Dyn wouldn't be able to refuse.

1. hellwig

Re: seems like a good deal for Oracle

Sounds reasonable, what better way to make your company invaluable than to just buy something people already depend on? Worked pretty nicely when they bought Sun. The world still hasn't abandoned Java.

5. Leeroy
    Joke

Blame the plants.

40-50 times the normal incoming traffic from tens of millions of web addresses around the plant.

So that's where all the ipv4 addresses have gone, flipping automated watering systems for your house greenery !

6. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Business process...

1) Oracle IDs Dyn as a potential acquisition

2) Oracle balks at the price

3) Larry hires McDDoS to damage Dyn's brand for quality and reliability

4) Oracle makes an offer based on the reduced price

5) Profit!

1. psychonaut

Re: Business process...

1)buy dyn

2) install adobe reader and mcafee for every dns search

3) money!!

1. J. R. Hartley

Re: Business process...

0) collect underpants

7. Skribblez

*Sigh* Another grandfathered user here too, with further domains added after that because their service has been awesome. Time to start looking for a new home...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like