back to article VMware joins Brexploitation gang, double digit price hike in the offing

VMware will become the latest American software company to bump up UK prices for customers by double digit percentage points from the start of next year, not that Virtzilla wanted to be drawn on the plans. Instead, Softcat - a reseller dripping in VMware sales silverware - confirmed that from 1 January next year the cost of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Supposedly worth it

At least all of these companies now know that no foreigners (them) can come over here and take our (their) jobs. Meanwhile, I have compiled a lengthy list of clients who are considering/opening offices in Dublin which has a much more enlightened attitude to EU nationals.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The British pound fell from $1.49 to $1 on 23 June"

Did it?

According to https://www.oanda.com/solutions-for-business/historical-rates/main.html

it fell from $1.48 on 23 June down to $1.33 on 27 June.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Price changes and currancy shifts

Strange isn't it - the $ drops against the dollar and the prices go up, the £ strengthens against the dollar and the prices .... still go up (or at least they don't come back down again).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Price changes and currancy shifts

Isn't that known as 'doing an Apple'?

2. thomn8r

Re: Price changes and currancy shifts

Kinda like how gasoline prices track oil-related news

4. Frank N. Stein

Hmmm..

Is this an opportunity for vendors who would rather lower prices and get a quick uptick in business?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Taking the urine

quote:

""We occasionally make adjustments that provide consistent pricing across regions, and optimises value for our customers and partners around the world,” the business added"

I've just had a quote back from VMware with options to buy before the end of December and if purchased after this date.

The difference? 40% increase.

So they aren't kidding when they say they make adjustments.

And we're not talking a small purchase here, this is for a sizeable license suite.

Suffice to say they were told where to shove it

1. Cloud Sleuth

Re: Taking the urine

Good on you mate - end of quarter pressure from the sales guy so he can pay for his xmas porsche - trying to bring forward a renewal - oldest trick in teh book

If you don't need it before end of q then dont let them take the pi$$.

Just say your going Hyper-V if you dont give same price next quarter

1. Marc 25

"Just say your going Hyper-V if you dont give same price next quarter"

...and the very best of luck to you with that.

1. defiler

"...and the very best of luck to you with that."

FWIW, I'm deep into a VMware -> Hyper-V migration right now, and it's been (mostly*) a breeze. System Centre migrates smaller VMs pretty-much automatically. Big ones need the Starwinds converter. I've yet to find a "normal" VM that won't go.

Licensing SCVMM for us instead of VMware will likely save ~70% of our hypervisor licensing costs. And that's from someone who's been dyed-in-the-wool VMware since ... I don't know. '99? Running 24/7 since '03. I didn't think I'd shift until I stepped back and put my prejudice aside.

*Symantec's Web Gateway virtual appliance has a limited set of NIC drivers, and leans on ESXi's E1000 vNIC. Hyper-V has some DEC Tulip thing that I've never encountered in the flesh.

2. GC1987

40%?! Given they've come out and said it's 15% I'd suggest that might be your reseller making hay . . .

15% obviously not ideal but got to take into account the entire channel here. . .

6. Baldy50

Whatever your views on the UK leaving the EUless, you can't deny the people of a country with a democratically elected parliament getting p****d off with being governed by someone they didn't elect!

How would you yanks feel about that?

I really do hope the British people remember the companies that screwed us over during this transition and purchase accordingly.

Hey! Plenty of time on my hands at the moment, the knees still f****d but don't start work again till mid January and could stur plenty of anti foreign business shit on FB/Twitter easily #BUY BRITISH!

You (Johney Foreigner) are all quite happy defending your own jobs etc when it suits, aren't you!

I think I'll do it F IT ╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮We'll see what state the EU is in 5 years from now! Deutsche bank ain't doing so well are they?

http://fortune.com/2016/11/17/deutsche-bank-clawback-ceo-bonuses/

Which ally do we have that to thank for? LOL Big time!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

KVM

Linux - download it now. Or pay. What's your excuse? If product xxx was good enough five years ago, the open source equivalent is good enough now.

1. defiler

Re: KVM

My excuse is Veeam. Doesn't cover KVM yet, but people keep asking. They've not committed, but on their forums Veeam have suggested that with the meteoric rise in popularity of KVM they'll likely be looking at it in 2018.

Used KVM plenty of times in small environments, but for work I wouldn't want to go without my backup crutch!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stop whinging

We're getting what we voted for as a country.

They are not exploiting Brexit, they are meeting their fiduciary responsibilities to their shareholders. Including pension funds, asset managers, and I'm sure a few hedgies getting rich on the side.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stop whinging

Brexploitation - LOL

It's called capitalism and it's like free speech in the UK - it's OK so long as "I" approve of it :/

Bottom line - the customer defines value, no one else. Period.

2. Jess

Re: Stop whinging

Upvoted but -

> We're getting what we voted for as a country.

Not exactly correct. (Although we voted for what anyone who actually thought about it knew we would get with that result.)

What we were actually asked was about leaving the EU. Nothing mentioned about leaving any of the other arrangements that allow our economy to operate.

The situation is like going to a doctor with a badly broken little finger, and the doctor saying it will be tricky to fix properly, and asking you'd like it amputated. After very narrowly deciding to sign the consent form, the Doctor tells you they are going to amputate it one inch below the elbow.

A real Dog's Brexit.*

* I wish I'd thought of that one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like