back to article Cisco emits new branch box

Switchzilla has expanded its range of SME edge boxes, adding the all-in-one ISR 4221 to its flagship range of branch networking systems. Offering throughput between 35 Mbps and 75 Mbps on two WAN ports, the box pushes software-defined WAN (SD WAN) into the branch office, with an APIC Enterprise Module (APIC-EM) controller, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

Sales pitch

Not being funny but you really aren't selling this thing to me very well.

I can buy a ~£200 APU fanless thingie with a quad core Intel Atom CPU + 2 GB RAM, a 30GB mSATA and three Intel GB NICs in it. With pfSense preinstalled.

You get CA management, IPSEC and OpenVPN and even NAT (shock, horror). You also get multi external link support that is unparalleled, anywhere. You also get more other networking stuff than I could possibly mention here, out of the box.

How much is this "between 35 Mbps and 75 Mbps on two WAN ports"?

1. P. Lee

Re: Sales pitch

But can you do a wan in software?

"Well I could, but why would I want to?"

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

I can buy a ~£200 APU fanless thingie with a quad core Intel Atom CPU + 2 GB RAM, a 30GB mSATA and three Intel GB NICs in it.

Care to tell us where you can buy this from?

3. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Meh

This 4221 is a small branch office box with lackluster features. The throughput is rather poor and you need an extra license to unlock the somewhat less poor 75Mbps raw throughput. Should you enable IPS and other UTM features the throughput probably suffers. Probably fine for DSL connections.

This device probably costs something like ¤1000 (without any extras) and is justified for only those who already have a Cisco framework and who want easier management and reporting for the device. Upon a failure the branch office may be far away and having no IT personnel to heal that DIY atom box, whereas Cisco sells same day hardware services to take care of that.

I'm all for cost savings but you need to factor downtime and labor costs into these things as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Cisco sells same day hardware services to take care of that."

Will they unplug the old one and patch it in. Many vendors won't.

1. Diginerd

Rack & connect the new gear? If you buy the premium support they'll even copy config if needs be...

Unusually cheaper to have next day coverage, build a design that can survive for 24 hours with a box failure and have a support contract with a local tech firm to handle remote hands.

2. reub

The throughput listed is guaranteed regardless of the features enabled. That's why they are so 'underspecc'd' in the data sheets - they build so much fat into the numbers.

Personally I hate the way they now market the ISR4ks based on restricted performance. It makes sense that they can guarantee the speeds regardless of the features enabled, but it really sucks hard that now you have a box that is actually capable of much faster speeds with no features enabled, that sits idle under max rated throughput because it is now crippled by a license.

1. J__M__M

"but it really sucks hard that now you have a box that is actually capable of much faster speeds with no features enabled, that sits idle under max rated throughput because it is now crippled by a license."

Host/user count licensing is better? I'd rather go slow than not at all.

3. Diginerd

That's the thing about the ISR G3s (The 42xx/43xx boxen), the licenses look really expensive until you realize they're only moderately spendy because the limits are for throughput WITH ALL FEATURES ACTIVE.

The cool thing about these is the integration with APIC-EM - No console cables required.

2. -tim

Underwhelming

We looked at others in the family and we will stick with our now obsolete routers until we replace them with something from a different vendor. Since our ISPs no longer insist we use Cisco, there isn't any reason to pay their premium. Since there new routers need a license code to work at the faster speeds, they have a very limited useful life compared to things like the 2600 and 2800s that are still used in our lab.

1. thegroucho
      Joke

Re: Underwhelming

Please tell me your company name so I can pitch an electricity contract to you.

Note the icon on the right before replying.

On serious note VIRL license (single user) likely costs as much as the power/cooling requirements of your lab.

2. Warm Braw

Re: Underwhelming

routers need a license code to work at the faster speeds

They seem to need a licence code for almost everything and, like cable channels, they seem to come in "convenient", revenue-enhancing bundles.

3. Bronek Kozicki

Cisco can get lost

I have firebrick.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like