back to article Left-wing cyber-hangout blames security breach on pro-Trump trolls

A news and comment website for Democratic voters fears data loss after an attack it blames on pro-Trump hacker trolls. DemocraticUnderground.com's forums were hacked and rendered unavailable on Tuesday afternoon "apparently by a supporter of Donald Trump". "This person clearly knew what they were doing, and despite our best …

1. chivo243 Silver badge

A new hacking crew?

pro-Trump hacker trolls ?

let the mudslinging continue!

Going to need lots of popcorn...

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      Happy

Re: A new hacking crew?

Makes a change from blaming Brexit

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I blame lax security.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

FTA: "...apparently by a supporter of Donald Trump."

So, half the country is on DU's 'suspected' list, but we knew that already. ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

These IPv4 header packets sure have many QoS bits.

protrump, hacker, troll, ...

3. Steven Roper
      Joke

But... aren't all Trump supporters supposed to be blue-collar uneducated rednecks? How are blue-collar uneducated rednecks supposed to be able to hack into a web server?

4. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

stupid frog poster

(body)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: stupid frog poster

It's a not-so-rare Pepe, FYI.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/pepe-the-frog

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

I thought these were now widely regarded as racist?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

How so?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Professur

That site was misbehaving election night. Someone posted a link to it on a forum I wandered into and everyone viewing that page got a login popup from DU that made it past most adblockers.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

"everyone viewing that page got a login popup from DU that made it past most adblockers."

Really? THAT made it a bit more interesting...

/me wonders if there's an 'army of hackers' out there who are anti-establishment, or at least anti-DEMOCRAT, based on the tone of the article, and the Wikileaks dumps on Mrs. Clinton, etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You wonder? It's common knowledge in some of my circles. And with what passes for software today, no interactive site can withstand a targeted attack from teenagers and unemployed white guys with a modicum of tech skills.

Don't worry, if Trump turns out to be as authoritarian as he said he is, they'll turn on him next.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You mean if Trump turns out to be another harmless Jimmy Carter, they'll give him a pass?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so, the Russian Government

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Da. Is all part of big plan. Deprive useful idiots of forum. So they go 'yav beshinstve', attack Trump with hammer and sickle. This tie President Trump in very large knot, can do nothing. Ha ha ha!

5. Ashley_Pomeroy

I get all my news from AR15.com, which had these screenshots of the site before it went down. It was hacked, and the forums were flooded by people who correctly predicted that Trump would win the election - an opinion that was not popular at DU (the site is notorious for banning people if they aren't 100% in lock-step with the Democratic Party):

http://i.imgur.com/Tdh8EN1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2ZF5QP2.jpg

https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5722/30778835331_1f3f7feb30_k.jpg

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So, a raid by /pol/ ?

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

> God Emperor

Trump has a carapce of sandtrout and is some weird muslim admixture of space zen buddhism?

> "Republicans use Sexism and Racism to hide the impact of Reaganomics"

Definitely left wing. The existence of Obama 1/2 and Clinton 1/2 are as rumored as the one of Highlander II.

6. wolfetone Silver badge

The Democrats are "left wing"?

Well El Reg, you've out done yourself in the level of comedy you've brought to the table. Bravo!

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

NOMINALLY!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah, right? I've been told that nearly the entire British population is to the left of Bernie Sanders. If true, that would make Obama seem a staunch bible-thumping Conservative by comparison.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

koran-thumping, shurely?

2. wolfetone Silver badge

"Yeah, right? I've been told that nearly the entire British population is to the left of Bernie Sanders. If true, that would make Obama seem a staunch bible-thumping Conservative by comparison."

Probably, but not left enough to think Jeremy Corbyn is a viable alternative to the Eton mess we call "The Tory Government".

Tory, for those not in the know, is gaelic for "Highwayman". I think it's an apt name for the bastards.

But that's none of my business.

3. Captain Badmouth

"I've been told that nearly the entire British population is to the left of Bernie Sanders."

You need to dump that facebook feed and read a decent newspaper.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I got that directly from a British programmer in San Francisco. For what it's worth. Actually, he said that the Guardian is a centrist paper there, so I interpolated.

1. Captain Badmouth

"I got that directly from a British programmer in San Francisco"

OK. Tell him to dump his facebook feed, he obviously hasn't been home in years.

2. wolfetone Silver badge

"I got that directly from a British programmer in San Francisco."

Is that Scott Manley? Or is there more than one British programmer in San Francisco?

7. Tom Paine
    WTF?

"bad tempered"??

One candidate told the other he'd have her thrown in jail when he won. That's a bit beyond "bad tempered", surely.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "bad tempered"??

What he said (in the 2nd debate) was:

“I didn’t think I’d say this but I’m going to say it, and I hate to say it, but if I win, I am going to instruct my attorney general to get a special prosecutor to look into your situation because there has never been so many lies, so much deception, there has never been anything like it and we’re going to have a special prosecutor.”

Then Hillary said:

"...it’s just awfully good that someone with the temperament of Donald Trump is not in charge of the law in our country.”

In reply, Don said:

“Because you would be in jail.”

So no, he didn't threaten to "throw her in jail." He suggested that with him as President he's appoint a special prosecutor to look at her alleged crimes (finally!), and she would probably end up in jail (because she's guilty as sin). At least that's how I parse his statements.

Of course the "Jail her" lie has now been enshrined in liberal lore for all eternity, so I'm wasting my time trying to correct the record here.

1. Captain Badmouth

"Of course the "Jail her" lie has now been enshrined in liberal lore for all eternity, so I'm wasting my time trying to correct the record here."

Not at all, we all saw that debate - I still have it on hard disk.

But how long have the GOP been trying to stick something on her ( to use a Trump expression).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

A long time, but the Democrat Party and the corporate media shield her very effectively.

By any rational measure the Clinton Foundation is the world's largest slush fund, filled mostly thru influence selling on a grand scale. A pretty small fraction goes to actual charity and the rest fuels the Clinton Lifestyle.

Is that criminal, or is it not? If it's not, then why do lesser individuals go to jail for doing a fraction of that? Al Capone could only dream of such lavish illicit profits!

Of course, now that Mrs. Clinton has no influence to sell, you may expect the Foundation to close up shop shortly. Can't claim it's a charity when no money is going out, can we? And it's too bad for all those foreign leaders who squandered their nation's wealth on a losing horse, but them's the breaks!

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

So, in other words, the Clintons are living The American DreamTM ?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Few Register readers know the background...

....so let me fill you in.

The Democrat Underground is a left-wing site, well to the left of the mainstream Democratic party. However, the owner of the site has supported Hillary Clinton, and his wife was a paid member of Hillary Clinton's staff. About 99% of the posters supported Bernie Sanders, and there were many threads accusing the owner of the site of selling out and taking money from the Clinton campaign. Many posters had their posts and threads deleted by the administrators, and people who would not stop attacking the owner of the site had their accounts deleted and their IP addresses blocked.

So if a disgruntled Sanders supporter hacked the site, that would not be surprising. Moreover, the admins and the owner of the site would most likely try to blame Trump supporters, since they don't want to admit that their own base has turned against them. But that is the most likely explanation.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon