back to article Judge allows Apple's faceless Irish head to settle for €45k - report

A payment from the head of Apple's besieged Irish company was accepted by an Italian judge to settle a case against him or her as part of a tax probe into the firm, according to a report. Apple Sales International is being investigated in the country as part of allegations that it failed to pay €879m in corporate taxes. This …

1. alain williams Silver badge

Green light to do it again

So the fine is about 1/20,000 of the original unpaid tax - that is pretty good. They ended up paying about 1/3 of the original demand - I wish I could get HMRC to be that nice to me! €45k is loose change to these guys, they will pay it when en-route to the pub to celebrate the judge's generosity.

But more importantly: unless these head honchos pay a meaningful personal price (eg 6 monthly eating porridge) they just won't care.

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Under Italian law, a settlement agreement does not imply an admission of guilt

In other countries, it's called a bribe.

1. TitterYeNot

Re: Under Italian law, a settlement agreement does not imply an admission of guilt

"In other countries, it's called a bribe."

Yes, I always wondered how a civilised western European country managed to get a four term prime minister like Silvio Berlusconi. After reading this article, it makes sense now...

2. anothercynic Silver badge

Re: Under Italian law, a settlement agreement does not imply an admission of guilt

Really? If that's the case, the US federal and state governments are the recipients of the biggest bunch of bribes on the planet!

3. chivo243 Silver badge
      Devil

@Lost all faith...

Welcome to the new world order... It's called Pay to Keep Playing... Straight from the Playa's handbook

3. lglethal Silver badge
    Facepalm

One law for the rich and one for everyone else in italy it seems...

See thats what the Mafia were doing wrong all these years! If they had just shared some of the profits with the judges, then they'd all be getting along swimmingly...

1. Eddy Ito

Re: One law for the rich and one for everyone else in italy it seems...

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Now if I only had an updated program so I could tell who the players are.

4. kmac499

Monopoly Money rules

Pay up so you Don't Go To Jail !!

Jeez; it may be legit under Itallian law, but it ain't much of an incentive to a global corporate honcho to play by the rules is it. I wonder how much interest they 'earned' for their company by noty paying the Tax.?? Comfortably more than 65k I'll bet.

5. nuked

About half a days interest on the amount stolen. Seems about right for European justice.

6. Mike Shepherd
    Meh

Maybe

Maybe Italy with be the new Luxembourg.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unnamed?

It's Lord Voldemort and they're holding the horcrux wrong.

Curiously, if I commit a crime can I get it transferred to Italy and pay money to avoid time in Azkaban?

1. GreggS

You've already bribed the Deatheaters so your stay won't be that long.

8. GreggS

Perhaps

Him and Bernie Ecclestone should start breakfasting together to compare notes.

9. W4YBO

Nothing new under the sun...

Weren't payments like this referred to as "indulgences" at one time? Or was that a different organization?

10. Steven Roper

<marlonbrando voice="whisper">Where's my money? Huh? You bring me my money soooon, eh? You good boy, I no want' see you get the cement shooz, eh?</marlonbrando>

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like