back to article Asda server glitch leaves customers without online shopping

Asda customers were bereft of their weekend deliveries after a server glitch cancelled 15 per cent of online orders. The supermarket biz said the glitch was an "unforeseeable" incident which began on Saturday night affecting home deliveries and click-and-collect purchases. An Asda spokesperson said the issue has been resolved …

1. tiggity Silver badge

1st world problems

On the plus side millennials (I'm guessing that from twitter whining) it's a reminder to keep a few things in your cupboard so that if, calamity of calamities, a shopping delivery fails, then you have stocks of food, basic hygiene requirements (e.g. self / accommodation cleaning products, loo roll) etc.

If you operate a Just in Time process for all your basic needs then maybe a rethink is required

1. Ragarath

Re: 1st world problems

Or get in the car and go and get it*. I know it means coming out of the house but hey, we all have to sacrifice something.

*Yes I know some people do not have cars and some are disabled and may have had the route of getting said shopping in person or proxy removed.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My great grandmother passed away with cupboards full of sugar and flour. Perhaps a "Just in Time" with a small one or two days canned/dried food options is a better and less extreme measure.

3. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

@tiggity

On the plus side millennials (I'm guessing that from twitter whining)

They could tweet their re-discovered grocery shopping experience.

1. Commswonk
        Devil

They could tweet their re-discovered grocery shopping experience.

Worth an upvote that... on the downside the "grocery shpping experience" at Tes*o involves negotiating the traffic jams caused by the shop staff trunding round with the big trolleys being filled up for home delivery / click & collect aficionados.

And the semi feral kids that seem to inhabit the place from time to time.

And the mothers who yak constantly into fondleslabs instead of monitoring the above kids.

Etc...

</meldrew>

2. Velv
    Mushroom

It's worrying when headlines are made about such inconveniences as Asda not delivering due to a glitch. Yes, it's inconvenient. Maybe you had to stay home another time, or go to another shop.

This country's going to be really fucked when something serious happens.

1. Apprentice of Tokenism
      Pint

"[...] This country's going to be really fucked when something serious happens."

Thank you very much, indeed. Please have an upvote and a cold refreshment on me!

And I believe it is safe to add that this is true for all of Europe and the North American continent as well.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

I wonder what the data protection on that's like...

One customer got in touch to say he was told the issue originated with Asda's US parent company, Walmart.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ASDA?

Other (better) outlets for food shopping are available.

Wallyworld (UK) is for me the last place I'd go for anything. The local council does not help this case by making their car parking chargable 24/7/52. They've even been known to issue tickets on Christmas Day.

All the other supermarkets in the area all offer free parking.

Go figure.

1. King Jack
      Holmes

Re: ASDA?

Perhaps they don't own the land that is the car park? It's like that round here but it is Sainsbury's you have to pay to park at. Asda is only guilty of not bagging raw chicken so that it contaminates the whole shop. Then you reject it and buy from another retailer.

1. cosymart
        Facepalm

Re: ASDA?

I was sat here trying to work out how an unbagged raw chicken could contaminate an entire supermarket. Had visions of raw chicken being forced into the fans for the air-con (sorry it's Asda warm air fans). I then realised "shop" meant the box of your goodies. Doh!

1. Steve Foster
          Joke

Re: "how an unbagged raw chicken could contaminate an entire supermarket"

With an awfully big Nerf gun...

5. ricardian

Same again on 30 Oct

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37815973

6. TRT Silver badge

Is there...

any word as to the cause of the nationwide outage this weekend?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like