back to article What’s the link between Brexit, cloud and open source?

Sometimes the thought of walling yourself off from the outside world and just focusing on the technology can be quite tempting. But like it or not, life in IT is obviously affected by what’s going on in the business, and that, in turn, is driven by what’s going on in the big wide world around us. So, a throwaway line from a …

1. Synonymous Howard

yawn .. survey was TL;DR

1. tiggity Silver badge

tl:dr

Gave up halfway through!

It was the "We" in a certain set of questions that irked me - could have done with questions repeating.

i.e. Whats your approach on x, y, z and

Whats your companies approach to x, y, z

As often a vast difference!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: tl:dr

I don't see much of a link in these survey questions. Making a mental note to ignore the survey results article.

2. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Re: tl:dr

> It was the "We" in a certain set of questions that irked me

Especially when it comes to "does senior manager support IT" (or whatever the question was) - I bet there's a lot that think it doesn't !

2. Naselus

Is it that Open Source is the only type of software British businesses will be able to afford by the time the pound has finished it's Brexit-inspired tumbling?

3. adnim

td:dr:dgaf

too drunk:didn't read:don't give a fuck.

I know its only Wednesday. I know I need to change my outlook (perhaps for home brew email). In fact I know there are many things I should care about... Brexit and cloud are not even on the list. As for OSS..... I'll show you mine even if you don't show me yours.

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Why are "Manufacturing, Engineering, Construction" always lumped together in one group? An engineering firm that designs stuffTM that will be manufactured or constructed by someone else has different needs IT-wise than those other parties.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Because they are the ones that actually create the profit that the more highly paid wearers of expensive suits and drivers of BMWs who are in charge do not.

"Manufacturing, Engineering, Construction" are the business. Anyone who does not support or enable them, is a waste of money. Cleaners enable. IT enables and so on. PHBs and listeners to whalesong do not.

5. Mark 85

So this is a multi-national survey?

Or will the answers be screened out if, say someone from the USA or Russia participates? Or perhaps separated in the results such that it's what those in the middle of Brexit think versus the rest of the world. I think that those in countries not in England would have slightly differing viewpoints.

6. druck Silver badge
    Unhappy

What's the Prize?

No gift, no graft!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like