back to article Turkey blocks Drive, Github, OneDrive in bid to kill RedHack leaks

Turkey has blocked access to major technology sites and services including GitHub, Microsoft OneDrive and Dropbox, seemingly to suppress circulation of some 57,623 stolen emails allegedly felt to reveal a widespread campaign of propaganda and deception. The Government under president Recep Tayyip Erdogan eased a block on …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not an expert

However, I have said from the beginning (and now some experts are saying the same), the "coup" was VERY suspect, badly planned, and executed, and FAR too easy to stop.

Did Erdogan set the whole thing up to overturn democratic laws and impose a dictatorship?

Everything that has happened since supports this theory, he appears to be the 21st century re-incarnation of Joseph Stalin, arresting top military figures and intellectuals, then banning anything that disagrees with him

The perfect reason to leave the EU, as the EU wants Turkey to join them ASAP.

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: Not an expert

Na, with or without Britain Turkey will join the EU when hell freezes over, or shortly after N. Korea joins, whichever is sooner.

1. druck Silver badge

Wanting free trade in Turkish products* is a little different to allowing 70 million more people the right to live in the UK.

*Including leather goods, which are surprisingly high quality, and could sell in their own right without the fake designer labels.

2. Trigonoceps occipitalis

The point of EU membership for Turkey, as far as the west is concerned, is to prevent precisely what is happening now - the Islamisation of what was once a secular democracy.

What ever happens in Turkey, the country has no chance until there is a settlement in Cyprus. Cyprus has a veto as does any other EU member. The EU could never allow accession of Turkey while it occupies some 38% of another EU member.

2. Jess

Re: The perfect reason to leave the EU, as the EU wants Turkey to join them ASAP.

Turkey has been trying and failing to get into the EU/EEC since before the UK joined.

Their chances of getting in are obviously much improved once we are gone, but still remote.

Either the EU would have to ditch its principles (as some Brexiteers maintain it will be forced to by losing our vast economic strength*) or Turkey would have to change radically.

* I believe many have an idea that UK leaving the EU will be like Robbie Williams leaving Take That.

3. Chris Parsons

So you believed that lie, did you?

4. Crazy Operations Guy

I'm surprised they haven't been kicked out of NATO... Other than being close to current hot-spots, I see no value in them as an ally.

I wouldn't be surprised that Erdogan isn't next on the list of "assholes to be knocked off by some 'plucky freedom fighters'" like Al-Assad, Mubarak, Gaddafi, and Saddam were.

2. Dwarf

Cloud fail

+1 to the list of reasons not to move to the cloud, since you can be off the cloud when something like this happens

3. downhome

Our new trading partner?

But Boris wants the UK to have a 'jumbo' free trade agreement with Turkey (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37483088) so they must be ok, right?

It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that his paternal Turkish ancestry is obviously not a factor.

4. David Roberts

I presume the blocking

Is to prevent people within Turkey accessing the data.

Waiting for links to the data in the rest of the world.

5. Gideon 1

VPNs

Many Turks use VPNs to get unblocked internet access.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: VPNs

The IT-savy ones who probably know already just what their glorious leader is like.

Getting the facts out to the majority, to help contradict the propaganda and control of the media, that is more of a challenge and seems to be the reason for this move.

6. NanoMeter

Google?

Where's the principles? Giving into democracy hostile countries like that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like