back to article Stingy sapphire lens in Apple's iPhone 7 is as scratchy as glass

Apple claims its iPhone is the world’s most popular digital camera, but perhaps it isn’t as robust as it should be. Hardware buff Zack Nelson has found that Cupertino's sapphire glass uses a lower-quality material, making it as prone to scratching as regular tempered glass. Sapphire boast ... Screenshot of Apple.com …

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Big Brother

My word. Apple Marketing exaggerated? Stop the presses. That's never happened before!!!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did they say it was still sapphire?

I read several reports they didn't use sapphire on the iPhone 7 any longer, though I can't figure out why they've stopped. Anyone know if it is the same story on the Plus with its two cameras, or maybe that's now a "value add" to further differentiate the two?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Did they say it was still sapphire?

Yes, mate - "Sapphire crystal lens cover"

C.

2. Poncey McPonceface

> I read several reports

Which ones?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There were online reviews that said they didn't appear to be using sapphire any longer. But they say they are, but it sounds like someone managed to scratch one (presumably with metal and not a diamond or other sapphire)

3. Carl W

Is that a real person?

That guy sounds almost exactly like the "Tom" voice that macOS uses for dictation (which I think is provided by Nuance).

Maybe Apple's hardware is reviewing itself these days. Next it'll be interpreting attempts to switch it off as an attack and mobilizing the Skynet network.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

What do other phones use for their lens covers then?

I'm guessing they all use much the same materials as Apple, except for Vertu who uses diamond and unicorn horn, Samsung who uses a special coating of charred Jeep and flaming human skin and Blackberry who uses a patina of regrets and excuses.

1. DropBear

Re: What do other phones use for their lens covers then?

You mean nobody is doing one with exquisitely fine, hand-crafted transparent leather...? Awww, shucks...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What do other phones use for their lens covers then?

Woah woah woah. Enough of the novelty material ideas.

Everyone knows Apple kit is made out of the tears of thousands of underpaid children.

Also, I wouldn't surprised at all if Apple has kept bits of Steve Jobs in jars to auction off when the company slides again.

It'll be the second tine Steve has come back to bail out the company.

Only this time he'll come back as a limited edition phone case woven out his pubes.

A set of ear buds made from his bollocks (complete with pouch to store them in made out of.......faux leather).

And given Apples recent crap eye for tasteful design...an ashtray made out of his skull.

5. Sebastian A

If there was one thing Apple could claim it was quality over everything (including price competitiveness). I guess a 100% markup on each device wasn't enough and they've decided that surely the consumer won't notice a few compromises here and there.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

The compromise isn't to save money, but to reduce reflection artifacts in the images the camera captures. The Reg, amongst others, had articles when Apple first used sapphire lens covers that criticised purple artifacts in iPhone photos, and knocked Apple's advice to customers: "Don't take photos when the subjects are against the sun".

Since many people use phone cases, it seems that Apple have decided that fewer reflections are worth the cost of a less scratch resistant lens.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No surprises here

Fancy marking buzzwords hiding an inferior product. Hasn't apple been doing this for years?

7. Bronek Kozicki
    Trollface

El Reg

Well I guess, you guys really do not want to get removed from Apple's shit-list.

Thanks for the interesting link,though!

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: El Reg

When the choice is "be honest" or "get co-operation from Apple", I know which one I'd prefer and which one I'd expect a website I frequent to do.

Literally, who cares what Apple thinks? If you have to suck up to them, and tell something other than your honest opinion to get any kind of dialogue with them, then stuff them. One of the biggest reasons I read The Reg, and I've even complained when an article-writer on here mentions Apple, or Apple-bashes, just for the sake of it. If it has little or not relevance (beyond humour) to the article, I don't care about it.

Apple's opinion on and reaction to The Reg's review technique of their products from many years ago has ZERO relevance here.

8. phil dude
    Linux

further details?

A nice video and the *useful* information on hardness, flame resistance(!) and bendyiness (?).

But the "liquid cooling"? At what temperature?

The only reason I mention this is I build a dual Xeon-phi research box for the Uni, and it has a "vapor chamber" which implies a liquid at some point. No matter how much I shake it , there's no liquid sounds at ambient temperature...For those that don't know the Xeon-phi is a toasty CPU, functional all the way to 137C (yes I tried it!) - takes some cooling!

It would be nice at some point for someone to jump in who actually knows what M$ did...because I personally like someone else destroying their device so I don't need to destroy mine and accuracy is important ;-)

P.

1. RIBrsiq
      Joke

Re: further details?

>> But the "liquid cooling"? At what temperature?

At a high enough temperature, everything is liquid. "Cooling" is, of course, a relative term...

1. IHateWearingATie

Aha, a rare change to be a science pedant!!

"At a high enough temperature, everything is liquid"

No true. Depending on the ambient pressure, not everything goes through a liquid phase. Carbon Dioxide sublimates from solid to gas at 1ATM for example.

Hurrah! I win the internet (until someone with better than my A Level science knowledge comes along and schools me)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

If you have A levels then Carbon Dioxide sublimes.

Sublimate[s] is only a word in places where they don't know how to speak English properly.

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

That correction was just sublime!

(No, not really)

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Correction to your correction.

AFAIK Sublimate is acceptable in chemistry.

It follows the same form as 'Condensation' ---> ' Condensate'.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"At a high enough temperature, everything is liquid"

At a high enough temperature, everything is a plasma.

2. TitterYeNot

"But the "liquid cooling"? At what temperature?

The only reason I mention this is I build a dual Xeon-phi research box for the Uni, and it has a "vapor chamber" which implies a liquid at some point"

Yes, looking at the teardown video, I think this is a case of the usual technically illiterate VP (or his speech writer) using phrases he doesnt understand. The Lumia cooler does indeed look like it uses 'vapour cooling', rather than 'liquid cooling' which would imply a liquid coolant and pump. Vapour coolers only contain a very small amount of liquid, which you usually won't see if you cut one open as it will either evaporate (which is how it achieves its cooling / heat transfer effect) or will be held in a substrate that acts as a wick to draw condensed liquid back to the hot cpu.

9. Lee D Silver badge

Gosh, all sales patter and bog-standard (or even below-standard when you take into account the cost) product.

Who'd have thunk?

10. Camilla Smythe

You're abrading it wrong.

TTFAB

1. swarfega

Re: You're abrading it wrong.

They need to improve their ablation technique ;)

11. Mark 85

Horrors... this means that selfies won't be perfect. Seriously though, the lens should be more scratch resistant. I'm surprised that they're scrimping pennies on this part as the camera is one of the reasons a lot folks buy the iPhone.

12. DaddyHoggy

Why do phone manufacturers insist on making their phones thinner and thinner, often compromising battery life and structural integrity and then in the same breath suggesting a case to protect their fragile devices that makes them considerably fatter again?

This fascination with 'thinness' is getting stupid - today Gizmag/New Atlas described the Honor 8 and OnePlus 3 as being *ROUGHLY* the same thickness. 7.4 and 7.45mm respectively. That's right 5/100ths of a mm difference and they're only roughly the same thickness...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Thin phones, structural integrity. All ok. Here's why

Don't worry, this will solve itself soon.

We all know phones keep getting thinner every year, so in about two years time, the front side of the phone will actually be behind the rear side of the phone, so therefore phones will start getting fatter.

We will of course need to remember to turn the phones round and maybe inside out at this point so we can see the screen, but this will all be breathlessly explained by a four page BGR article having a click baity headline like 'Use these 10 crazy hacks in iOS 15 to make calls and stuff. Here's how'.

2. defiler

Put it in a case!

Okay, so they've binned the headphones socket because it's too fat. But you should put a cover on it.

Couldn't they have made it a *little* thicker, a *little* more durable, and left the bloody headphone socket.

Fucking arses. It's a tool, not a museum piece. <sigh>

3. imanidiot Silver badge

More importantly

Why do they insist on making the camera lens stick out like pimple? Sink the lens slightly into the surface of the phone and it is unlikely to scratch.

13. Allan George Dyer
    Paris Hilton

Liquid copper for cooling?

That really does run hot!

14. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

So idiot users expect things to not get damaged when they treat it carelessly?

Any more "news"?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like