back to article Crypto guru Matt Green asks courts for DMCA force field so he can safely write a textbook

Assistant Professor Matthew Green has asked US courts for protection so that he can write a textbook explaining cryptography without getting sued under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Green, who teaches at Johns Hopkins University in Maryland, is penning a tome called Practical Cryptographic Engineering that examines the …

1. Fan of Mr. Obvious

gmail is the answer

He wont get the royalties, but guessing he could just type up a bunch of emails and send them to his gmail account. Once the account is hacked, and the emails public, all will be forgiven.

1. Mark 85

Re: gmail is the answer

Make it easier on the hacker... use Yahoo!.

2. Adam 1

Re: gmail is the answer

Doesn't Adobe have a cloud of some sort?

2. Captain DaFt

Welcome to the land of the free!

Where you now need the Government's blessing to write a textbook without fear of persecution!

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Welcome to the land of the free!

If you want freedom of speech you should look to the founding fathers of the nation.

And start a bloody revolutionary war to destroy the current oppresive government.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Just sayin' - two out of three founding fathers were either lawyers, judges or had equivalent legal training ...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Why do you need three options to describe two people.

It's almost like you don't know what you're talking about...

1. Gazareth

2 out of 3 as in 2/3rds / 66% of the total... there were a lot more than 3 founding fathers.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

You already do.

Try publishing a textbook which contains exact synthesis instructions for anything prohibited under the Chemical Weapons Convention of 1993, Wassenaar as well as, let's say, the exact instructions for the additives you need to put into the growth medium for Yersinia Pestis (the ghastly thing is actually a royal PITA to grow at scale, it will start and then just die out unless you really know what you are doing).

You _WILL_ get a visit from some gentlemen in black suits in a vehicle with blacked out windows.

By the way - I have both stashed somewhere in the remote corners of my brain in violation of relevant UK Thought Crime laws.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There's a difference prohibiting something very specific and very dangerous - and a blanket prohibition "just in case". Even free speech has some limitations, when other fundamental rights - i.e. life - are at stake.

3. Adam 1

Perhaps he should rather look out on the internet to see if any "ghost writers" have written a "similar" textbook and he could maybe just offer to write the foreword?

4. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Flame

First Amendment ?

or failing that, print the book on a T-Shirt ?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: First Amendment ?

Back in the day, authors used to do 'readings' of their works.

If he did nothing but hosted readings where spoke all the words of his work to an audience then IMHO the 1st Ammendment will cover him from prosecution.

Then he could publish the words (and the audio) he spoke (and only the words he spoke). Again, the 1st Ammendment will cover him because it is a verbatum record of what he spoke.

Well, thats my IANAL view of things.

I'm sure the DMCA supporters will be thinking differently.

5. djack

Little Comfort

There is a huge difference between 'unlikely to be prosecuted' and 'cannot be prosecuted'. Any potential for jail time has to be seriously considered by the individual.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Little Comfort

If the DoJ are really saying that this law is drafted too broadly, then that's actually a splendid reason to let this case go to court.

6. Mage Silver badge

Or he could move

The USA "Digital Millennium Copyright Act" is actually contravening the Berne Convention on Copyright, suppressing security research and human rights.

I suppose it's not practical as plan "B", to give up US citizenship and live in a country prepared to ignore illegal US extraterritorial attempts at US law enforcement.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Or he could move

>Or he could move

After being an ex-pat working in most of the developed countries in the world I can tell you unless you are born into them you won't ever belong (Canada being one exception). If you do so you do it for your kids. Also as an American I haven't seen a country that much better than the US that would make it worth starting over.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Also as an American I haven't seen a country that much better than the US

... Too easy.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

lso as an American I haven't seen a country that much better than the US that would make it worth starting over.

Until early November that is and when a certain candidate gets elected {Rug included}

Is a pretty sure bet that a good number of fine upstanding citizens will decide to move to 'somewhere else entirely'.

2. Alumoi Silver badge

OK, which african, asian or south american country are you thinking about? Bear in mind that it needs a powerless central government or a government who just hates US guts.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well Americans seem piss poor at adapting to anything which isn't America so you're probably best off staying there.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>Well Americans seem piss poor at adapting to anything which isn't America

Kind of like how people in the UK adapted to being in the EU.

7. Mk4

Really?

I am from the UK and expat but unlike you I have spent more than 10 years in one developed country, not bouncing around many of them. I speak and understand the language (not natve level but my job is in English). I have now spent enough time here (just) to somewhat disentangle the national persona and stereotypes from individual people's personalities and get used to a host of ideosyncratic ideas and behaviour.

Before you write off the non-US world, think about how much time you spent in each place compared to the time you spent in the US growing up and normalizing your viewpoint with the rest of the US people around you.

I think the reason you didn't feel you belonged is that you didn't belong. When you do, you do.

8. Mk4

Really?

I am from the UK and expat but unlike you I have spent more than 10 years in one developed country, not bouncing around many of them. I speak and understand the language (not natve level but my job is in English). I have now spent enough time here (just) to somewhat disentangle the national persona and stereotypes from individual people's personalities and get used to a host of ideosyncratic ideas and behaviour.

Before you write off the rest of the non-US world,think about how much time you spent in each place compared to the time you spent in the US growing up and normalizing your viewpoint with the rest of the US people around you.

I think the reason you didn't feel you belonged is that you didn't belong. When you do, you do.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: Really?

@Mk4, I can't agree more.

This, from a US citizen who spent five years in various GCC states, much of that time, with my wife happily in tow.

Act and feel like you belong, be accepted as belonging. Act and feel like you're special and an outsider, be embraced by one and all as that outsider. Just realize, the latter has the cost of not being allowed to play with the locals kids. ;)

I've actually played Santa in Arabian homes. The downside, it was 28 degrees C outside and that Santa suit was a bit... Warm.

Still, smiling kids and all. :)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Promote it through Clickbank

Its guaranteed to never sell through there. Crisis averted.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon