back to article Terry Jones has dementia

Python wordsmith Terry Jones has announced he has been afflicted with primary progressive aphasia, a variant of frontotemporal dementia that destroys the brain's ability to handle speech and vocabulary. Jones directed what was arguably Monty Python's finest film, Life of Brian, as well as The Meaning of Life, and co-directed …

1. Mark 85

I'm saddened by this. More than saddened as I've known a few people who have had this.

2. MrDamage Silver badge

Bugger

In time I may be able to sum up more eloquently how sad this makes me, but for now, the title says it all. :(

1. Kurt Meyer

Re: Bugger

Aye. So many laughs, so many memories.

"I don't have to do this y'know! I'm a qualified brain surgeon! I only do this 'cause I like being me own boss!"

A small gem hidden in the Pet Shop sketch.

My best wishes to you Terry,

and my everlasting thanks.

2. Stoneshop

Re: Bugger

Indeed.

BURMA!

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

That's sad news indeed.

And why is it hidden in the News Byte section?

4. Flubb

Life of Brian and Meaning of Life are two of my favourite movies. I truly hope an effective treatment for this affliction is found soon, for Terry's sake and also of course for all the others who suffer from it.

5. Arty Effem

Nobody expects Dementia! It has three main effects - two main efects - its main effect is...

I'll come-in again.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IT angle?

Sad, but...

1. Terry Cloth
      IT Angle

Re: IT angle?

Maybe that so many IT types are Python fans? (Plus, note what you can do by not posting as an AC.)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I posted as ac as this community can be a bit harsh sometimes, and this was a genuine question.

It's gutting news but I didn't expect to see it here.

1. jake Silver badge

Anything that can take the mind off a bad day at work is IT related, by definition. Terry & Co. definitely fit this category, and thus any and all such news belongs here.

IMO, of course.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
      Pint

The Pythons thought about AI in the late 1960ies with their New Brain From Curry's sketch. That's IT-angle enough for me. The pint is for Terry J.; he always liked real ale.

3. a_yank_lurker

Python is named after Monty Python by a very big fan - Guido Russom.

4. eriksolo

The Pythons have helped people create so many bad passwords and good MTOD over the years it is worth mentioning.

7. Brian Miller

Medical applications of small computers

This is the thing that I always thought that IoT should really do: take care of people in states like this. Something small to help someone along in the day, etc.

Disorders of the brain are one of things that are so unnerving. Your brain itself goes into a state of decay, and there's nothing to be done for it.

8. cd

Always look at the bright side of life..

9. jake Silver badge

Hopefully science will allow Terry to ...

... transcend mental deviation.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon