back to article Behold the fruit of your techie utopia: A $43 San Francisco fog-infused martini

With the cost of living in San Francisco soaring higher than ever, some people are stepping forward to find innovative solutions to create affordable housing and assistance programs that would preserve the diversity, culture, and giving spirit that has made San Francisco a world-class city. And then there are the assholes who …

1. Oengus

The BS factor

I was told once that you can charge more for something if it has a good story. He said the better the BS factor the higher the price.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fog-infused martini is quite good

But I still say that fanny batter champagne beats it.

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: Fog-infused martini is quite good

Just sell them a cement mixer shot...

https://youtu.be/XgbWA4JLcjo

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: fanny batter champagne

Mind bleach... quick!

2. hi_robb

the fanny beer was cheaper earlier, but they've stuck it up since.....

And for 10 grand you can send your beloved other half over to Poland or Germany to have her minge mince scraped out and turned in to a wonderful aperitif!

Lets hope it doesn't have aperitif when they try to interfere with her!

I reckon they sample it before making it in to your dream drink!

"Na Nigel this one's a bit yeasty..."

1. Captain DaFt

"the fanny beer was cheaper earlier, but they've stuck it up since....."

Oh... Just... BOOOOO!

(Have an upvote!) ☺

3. Voland's right hand Silver badge

special "fog catcher" machines that condense the water vapors out of the "marine layer"

Should be "smog layer". Granted, we are not in the late 1960-es, the air quality has improved. It still contains quite a bit of nitric acid, H2SO3, hydrocarbons, soot and other wonders. This is valid even for what is brought from the ocean too as a lot of that was taken there just 3-4 hours ago by the evening breeze.

I would not drink that even if they PAID me. Granted, I am probably not the target audience...

1. TRT Silver badge

That crunchy stuff round the rim...

Let me guess, it's neither salt nor sugar...

2. graeme leggett Silver badge

"Fog catchers? Sir, my first job was programming binary load lifters. – very similar ...in most respects"

4. Woza
    WTF?

Obscurely disappointed

I read the headline as "frog-infused martini"

1. Anonymous Custard

Re: Obscurely disappointed

Drown your sorrows with one (or more) of these?

5. Korev Silver badge

That looks totally f***ing Mexico

6. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Are we surprised?

5.2) The ASR Drinking Game

The rules for the ASR Drinking Game, as hashed out over a period of several

decades ending on 27 January 20007, are quite simple. When something happens,

drink. As much as necessary.

- alt.sysadmin.recovery FAQ v1.799999999999999998

7. Anonymous Custard
    Headmaster

One born every minute?

And then there are the assholes who sell $43 martinis.

True, but only sustainable if there are people hip* enough to actually buy them for that price...

PT Barnum was a visionary in that respect.

* aka dumb and/or pretentious as translated for those of us in the real world

1. Richard 26

Re: One born every minute?

Indeed, people that sell overpriced tat to those with more money than sense rates fairly low on my personal asshole scale. It's those that take economic advantage of the poor that are the real assholes IMHO.

8. adam payne

I'll stick with a pint of Hobgoblin thanks

9. Kubla Cant

It's distilled

It probably makes no difference whether the water comes from the fog or the kitchen tap. Most distillation processes result in flavourless alcohol. Gin is subsequently flavoured with botanicals, whisk[e]y and brandy get their flavour from the barrels they're aged in. I don't know what they do to the sort of vodka you use to make Martinis - it has very little flavour anyway.

10. Triggerfish

Pollution

Is San Francisco Bay lovely and clean then?

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/The-toxic-chemical-in-San-Francisco-s-fog-6734283.php

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pollution

Always time to quote Tom Lehrer from 1960s

"The breakfast garbage that you throw into the Bay

They drink at lunch in San Jose

So go to the city, see the crazy people there

Like lambs to the slaughter

They're drinking the water

And breathing <cough> the air"

11. disgruntled yank

Really

I find it hard to blame the restaurant owners, who are simply separating hipsters from cash that they can presumably spare. Were I ever caught purchasing such a thing, I'd become a strong advocate of the right to be forgotten.

12. Crazy Operations Guy

If truly was from San Francisco

It'd smell like rotting fish and hobo urine...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

13. jzl

Never been

Even less keen to go now.

1. Mark 85

Re: Never been

It was a fun city and interesting back in the late 60's and early 70's. Now... you couldn't pay me enought to visit it.

14. ma1010
    Holmes

This is a standard business model

Sell something to fools for much more than it's worth and get rich. Apple has been doing it for years.

15. This post has been deleted by its author

16. Phlebas

Future Generations...

...will date the end of Western Civilisation from the time when vodka became the default setting for a martini.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Future Generations...

I guess we'l have to blame Ian Fleming for that.

17. earl grey
    Coat

Going to see the egress now

Wait a mo.....

18. Herby

I prefer...

To get my Martinis about 13 blocks west, and 4 blocks south (as the crow flies), and properly made, with proper London Gin, not that cheap potato swill. Much nicer atmosphere.

I don't even need cash, they send me a bill at the end of the month.

19. What? Me worry?
    Trollface

Only forty-three bucks? Pffttt...

Stuff that! Trundle over to the Bar Hemingway at the Ritz in Paris. Order a Ritz Sidecar... To rich for your wallet? Order a 'normal' Sidecar or any of their cocktail, last time I was there they were about thirty euros a go. :P

20. SeymourHolz

_

" ... [the] feeling that you have sold your soul to live in an unsustainable bubble society built on delusion and bravado ..."

Nothing exceeds like excess.

21. TheElder

When you had a couple...

Haven't been there for quite a long time so I did a quick check to see if the quick cure still exists. Well, maybe not so quick and not really a cure...

IT DOES!! I am so very surprised but hey, it is obviously something so many people need.

It is the Brain Laundromat. Still have the T Shirt.

http://www.brainwash.com/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon