back to article T-Mobile USA leaked free access to sites with '/speedtest' in the URL

American T-Mobile subscribers can score free internet access by running traffic through a proxy with "speedtest" in its URL. Seventeen-year-old high school student Jacob Ajit found the loophole , since taken down, which allowed cheapskates to access T-Mobile's data network without paying. Ajit realised speed testing sites and …

1. J. R. Hartley

The title is no longer required

I hope they reward him with an unlimited contract. It's the least they could do.

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

The un-car ...buffering... rier ...buffering... says GFY ...buffering... S.

A better use would be hosting videos. T-Mo's single "ONE" plan is $70/month with video streaming throttled to 1.5 Mbps "DVD quality" unless you opt-out for another $25/month.

3. frank ly

Did he also get high speed access?

Just wondering.

1. Maryland, USA

Re: Did he also get high speed access?

Presumably, he would have to if he was running a speed test.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Presumably, he would have to if he was running a speed test."

Why?

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Because it has been said that ISP's and mobile networks prioritise traffic to speed test sites to make their service look much faster than it actually is (and they want their customers to see full throttle). The fact that they allowed access to speed test sites free of charge shows that at least some tinkering is going on.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Dabooka

I think you misunderstand

The way I read it is he got free LTE because of the hack; can't see anywhere suggesting it was a reward from T-Mobile

5. Nameless Faceless Computer User

Irony

Neat hack.... although T-Mobile already provides free LTE for streaming music.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Irony

Oooh free for streaming music, but the other 99.9999% of the internet isn't free.

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"the educational benefits of sharing my findings with the community"

As in your street cred, you mean ?

Come on, if nobody was getting hurt you had no pressure to publish, now did you ?

Responsible disclosure means you give the company a chance to react. If there is no hurt, you can give them even more time to react.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fido (Canada) also had a hole

I discovered in late 2004 when on a prepaid SIM on Fido in Canada, that GPRS sessions routed over a "CONNECT" session on their WAP proxy were not charged for in their entirety (they charged an eye-watering 4c/KB = $40.96/MB with a 15c minimum charge - roaming on my Virgin Mobile SIM was a "mere" £5.12/MB even roaming on the same network) so only the minimum charge was levied. So, the obvious soluition was to set my SSH server to listen on port 443 and tunnel a connection to a Squid proxy over it.

This being GPRS over 2G, it wasn't fast. but 15c/session was certainly worth going for.

Unfortunately, they had "fixed" it by summer 2005 when I was next in Canada. I haven't been back since, but not because of that!

8. Martin Summers Silver badge

Reminds me of the days when you couldn't send SMS to other networks but I found putting another networks SMS gateway number into my phone meant I could not only send SMS to that network I could do it for free.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So basically

Just append ?haha_tmobile=/speedtest to the url to watch endless hours of HD streaming, no data charge?

But can you get a signal? And enough bandwidth to stream video at all?

10. Old Handle

For the record, I tried this and it didn't work. I did it from a phone with a paid-up SIM but no data plan, which sounds like the same thing the teen hacker did, but of course it may not have been exactly the same plan. That was a couple days ago, but after I read another article about it of course, so perhaps it was already fixed.

11. Christian Berger

Actually this has a deeper implication

Since browsers have abandoned their download speed indicators, many people resort to speedtest sites to test the speed of their connection... that's why many network providers try to cheat on those... that this is probably the cause of this "glitch".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like