back to article Aruba OS8 lands, with APIs so non-NetAdmins can do NetAdmin jobs

First they came for the DBAs. Then they came for the storage admins. Now the software-defined networking (SDN) shock troops are coming for network administrators. Aruba's leading this charge with its new OS8, which is being billed as a “Mobile First Platform” that lets anyone capable of writing to an API wrestle a campus WLAN …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

For a college campus?

This has serious hacker potential, like the early days of BSD!

2. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

"The HP unit's idea is that network admins shouldn't be called upon to do this sort of thing if it can be avoided, but should be happy to oversee a library of API-addressing recipes cooked up by developers."

Soooo...in HP land, the network admins don't admin networks, they, eh, errr, ummm, play Solitaire? Write software? Watch TV?

And sorry, but the fucking developers should NOT be allowed to mess with switches, VLANs, or routers. Nothing fucks up a good network architecture like someone saying "hey, let's try this and see if it works. Oi, where'd the Internet go??? OMG!!! now I can't get to StackExchange to figure out how to unfuck this mess I've made." There really are lots of OTHER PEOPLE in the company who rely on the network to function properly so they can do their jobs.

Downvote away, dev-op fanbois. I know you want to.

1. Nate Amsden

up vote from me

I've worked with maybe 150 to 200 devs over past 16 years(mostly in SaaS). Need 1 hand to count those that knew networking to any real degree.

2. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

AFAIK the idea is that by making things like creating temporary WLANs something more people can do, NetAdmins can get to know every packet by name and convince them to do amazing things that really matter.

3. jsmyth

First, it's HPE, not HP...two different, independent companies in case you hadn't heard the news from last November.

Yes, AOS 8 has a new, powerful API, but you don't have you use it for anything if you don't want to. I guess if you give options, people complain, if you don't, they'll still complain. The title of the article is completely misleading. That's not the goal of the API.

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

HP split up? Really? When?

Nah ... just messing with you. Old habits die hard. Fixed that wee error.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like