back to article Meet Deliveroo's ‘bold and impactful’ new logo. No, really

Fresh ripples of excitement reach us from the world of rebranding, after Deliveroo parked its bike against the walls of the Strategy Boutique. The three year old startup didn’t come back empty handed. It’s got a new logo, Design Week reports in a must-read account, and riders have a new uniform. The trade mag tells us that …

1. Dwarf

K9

Perhaps its just me, but it looks like K9 to me.

I am however completely lost as to why the company is called deliverroo, given that they do not deliver with roo's - unless there is something I missed about the ingredients used in the restaurants.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Re: K9

I can kind of see that, but my first impression was of a hand with two fingers raised in the not-very-polite manner.

1. Whitter
        Happy

As indeed did I .My very next thought was "but it isn't April 1st."

It's considerably worse than the London 2012 / Lisa Simpson shocker.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

As indeed did I .My very next thought was "but it isn't April 1st."

Correct, but you need to show exactly what does the company think to all those delivery slaves which have shown utter disrespect for the workhouse owner by objecting to the pittance being paid while the owner(s) relax on their yachts parked along the promenade in the Antibes. It is such a pity that they do not understand what "sharing" really means when you are sharing with a Business 2.0 person.

So it is quite apt and quite on time. TWO FINGERS. That will please the society for the preservation of English traditions in gesture swearing.

2. ssharwood

IMHO Art Spiegelman's lawyers are going to have to pore over some copies of MAUS and ponder their next move.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

a hand with two fingers raised in the not-very-polite manner.

Maybe that was what was intended.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
          Flame

I suppose it saves their lunatic, scooter riding, suicidal arseholes the effort of sticking their own two fingers up. Must be very tiring for them doing that all day.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> my first impression was of a hand with two fingers raised in the not-very-polite manner.

Same here. Also holding two silver coins, to symbolise that they have your money.

1. Roq D. Kasba

I got rabbit, rather than K9, but totally see the V's up.

2. Andrew Barr
    Facepalm

you weren't in when we called!

Looks like someone sticking two fingers up!!

1. Cheesenough

Re: you weren't in when we called!

Yes, I see a right-handed two finger salute too.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

Strategy boutique were on Deliveroo's zero hours lower-than-minumum-wage contracts

No other explanation.

4. anothercynic Silver badge

Looks like...

... A V sign... A 'two-fingers' wouldn't show the fingernails which are clearly visible! *takes a toke from the hookah and hums along with the whalesong* ;-)

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Never heard of them

Just checked the "blog" for Birmingham. Ideas for Christmas and Valentines in there. So they may want to update their site before their logo. To me, that smacks of a business that's shut down.

1. ad47uk

Re: Never heard of them

Apparently they have started to deliver around here, I saw one van of theirs and that is it, I have not seen them advertise, so how they get business I do not know, not that I would use them

2. Mr Tumnus

Re: Never heard of them

"Just checked the "blog" for Birmingham. Ideas for Christmas and Valentines in there"

Well ... yeah, halfway down the page.There are later posts. Maybe fuck all happens in Birmingham.

6. Mr Sceptical
    Thumb Down

2012 again?

Nah, they've just been staring at the London Olympics logo and decided that while they couldn't copy the Lisa Simpson idea directly, they could just go with a blocky, one-colour mess...

1. Michael Strorm Silver badge

Re: 2012 again?

Let me guess. They stared at the London 2012 logo so long that its lurid pink shading fatigued the colour receptors in their eyes, then they looked at a blank white piece of paper and a green, complementary-coloured version of the logo appeared to them.

Lo and behold, "inspiration"!

7. Ol'Peculier
    FAIL

Looks like they are sticking it to their delivery drivers...

8. Phil Endecott

Isn't that the playboy logo, in greenand without the bow tie?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

A shit, punk Playboy logo is what I thought too.

Don't know the older logo but it can't have been worse. Lots of these "capital light", "me too" services here in Germany. Hard to get excited about any of them considering how low the barrier to entry is but some seem to have given at least some thought as to the best way of carrying stuff around on bikes.

9. Androgynous Cow Herd

Bargain basement logo

Was the marketing department underpaid as well?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Oh God.

What a terrible logo.

The trouble with all of these sorts of food delivery folk including the execrable Just Eat, Jinn, Hungry House, Deliveroo, etc... is that once you get past all the 'clever' and incessant marketing, chatty blogs, and smiley friendly happy photos of customers or cooks, what you're left with is grotty men on grotty mopeds delivering semi-heated food shaken around in tatty polystyrene boxes.

We used to get swarms of Deliveroo and Jinn drivers hanging around the Word Merchant part of London, and we had to get the council and police involved when the drivers started leaving stacks of litter and urinating everywhere late at night.

The delivery companies initially refused to take a stance because 'the drivers are all self employed so our hands are tied'. I have to say the council were fantastic, reminding the companies in questions that these people wear your branding, so represent your firm.

But that's the reality of these firms, not the endless 'Give me a naan after midnight' style of infantile marketing.

1. Warm Braw

Re: Oh God.

If you want to be truly depressed, take a look at their hilariously named "careers" page. I'm not quite sure how you can add all those overheads to what would have originally been a spotty-kid-on-bike service and still have a viable business model.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's that Skippy?

1. P. Lee

> What's that Skippy?

The marketing department is a fiver year-old with potato, a pen-knife and a pot of paint, who's fallen down a well?

12. John70

The Deliveroo drivers I've seen round Manchester are more like Suicide Squad the way they weave in and out of traffic.

1. Wupspups

Remind me more of the old motorcycle couriers that used to kamikaze all over the place in late 80s/early 90s. Pretty much the same employment system to. Riders were self employed in most of the courier companies.

13. 0laf

It's the good old archers salute isn't it?

14. Roger Kynaston
    Pint

This is a spoof right?

if not I need lots of beer.

1. Whitter
      Pint

Re: This is a spoof right?

Who cares? Beer for everybody!

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        Joke

Re: This is a spoof right?

Lead us not into temptation

but deliver us from e̶v̶i̶l̶ rebranding.

Amen

15. adnim
    Meh

"As you can see, the results are well worth it."

If it cost less than a fiver.... almost.

16. frank ly

Let's talk about the colour

Is it the right choice? Will it still be relevant in two years time?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh dear

As far as shit logos go, this one is particularly shit.

1. Rich 11

Re: Oh dear

Coming to a shit moped near you -- soon!

2. Graphsboy

Re: Oh dear

A comment worthy of inclusion in advertising lore. I shall carry that one into my next design meeting and inflict it on any fool who deserves it. Top notch.

18. Alistair
    Coat

perceptions

DOS CERVESA SENORITA!

in a terrible midwestern mangling of the language, said quite SLOOOOOOOOWLY and at FULL VOLUME.

<Shrug>

at least thats what I got out of it.

19. Cursorkeys

It looks a little...not good.

Also, quite similar to RabbitMQ's logo (https://www.rabbitmq.com/).

20. David 132 Silver badge

Philistines.

You're all completely failing to appreciate the new logo. The bold, decisive design reflects the company's core beliefs, while communicating the underlying playfulness and sense of whimsy. Vibrant colours say "this is a modern, go-getting company"; the particular shade used was chosen specifically for its ability to evoke feelings of warmth and...

..no, it's no use. I just can't keep writing this utter loblocks. 'Scuse me while I go off and retch copiously into a hand-crafted sustainably-sourced traditional Mayan birthing bucket.

Here, have this crude two-tone rendition of a V-sign to talk about while I'm gone. Job done.

21. maccy
    Facepalm

Following the new two-fingers up logo ..

... Deliveroo will be changing its name to Fuckyoo

22. Zot
    Happy

The register is hardly best placed to take the piss out of logos...

1. Shades

Why, what is wrong with the Vulture exactly?

1. David 132 Silver badge
        Thumb Up

@Shades - Indeed. Nothing wrong with the Reg logo. Fads may come and trends may go, but the Vulture is a fixed point in a febrile and transient industry. They carrion regardless.

23. Captain DaFt

Pardon me for not using 'tips and corrections'

But that is one huge typo in the opening paragraph.

"Fresh ripples of excitement reach us from the world of rebranding,"

Shouldn't that be, "Fresh ripples of excrement reach us from the world of rebranding,"?

Carry on.

1. 0laf

Re: Pardon me for not using 'tips and corrections'

Admittedly I did read your quote as - "Fresh nipples of excrement retch us from the world of rebranding"

Must cut down on the Daily Mail.

1. Rich 11

Preferably with a poleaxe.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Fresh ripples of excrement"

Deliverpoo?

24. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Up yer kilt!

Reminds me of this old car sticker

https://kiltsandmore.com/upload/artikelbilder/medium/1884.jpg

25. Pierre Scize

I share your distain -- https://stocklogos.com/topic/deliveroo-flattens-kangeroo-logo-refresh

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One more thing

Why the hell are there so many companies advertising memory foam mattresses? All over the frickin' place. Eve, Casper, Leesa, Purple. All with 100 day trial. WTF?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon