back to article Redmond reveals Hyper-V 2016 beats vSphere's RAM and CPU count

Microsoft has revealed the scale at which Hyper-V on Windows Server 2016 will operate at release and in so doing has leapfrogged VMware's scalability on headline-grabbing numbers. Microsoft's spelled out its scale here and we've referred to VMware's Configuration Maximums vSphere 6.0 (PDF) document for Virtzilla's numbers. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The limits are mostly theoretical today, because pretty much no one is selling servers that would hit the limits of either Hyper-V or vSphere. By the time they do, both will have been updated.

I wonder how they even tested this...must have been on an Altix, but I can't imagine anyone would buy one of those to host VMs...

1. TheVogon

"The limits are mostly theoretical today,"

Quite - bragging rights - not serious a consideration for the vast majority of users.

Of more interest to me - Hyper-V historically has outperformed VMware on the same hardware for performance (IOPS) - so what is the relative performance like these days - have Microsoft extended their lead - or have VMware caught up - anyone published any benchmarks as yet?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Microsoft outperformed VMWare because of enabled by default block caching layer of Hyper-v, whereas ESXI doesn't do any caching by default. So the benefit is illusory and at a cost of data reliability.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"ESXI doesn't do any caching by default"

Nor does Hyper-V - see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2801713

"The Hyper-V storage stack also uses unbufferred writes to make sure that the writes from the guest bypass the underlying host filesystem stack. "

2. Nate Amsden

wonder how they tested more than 12TB

I see Dell has a 12TB system, HP has a 6TB system (expected their 8 socket box to go higher but it tops out at 4TB). Only x86 system I could think of that may go higher is SGI UV (though officially apparently only supports a couple variants of linux).

All of my vSphere systems are 384GB, not too excited about going far beyond that still right now. Though I'm not running something like SAP HANA either.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: wonder how they tested more than 12TB

"I see Dell has a 12TB system, HP has a 6TB system"

HP actually has the modular Superdome X which boasts 24TB, but I am not certain whether it all can be partitioned to a single server instance.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Super big question is whether it will run HANA.

2. Electron Shepherd
      Boffin

Probably just bought one of these

https://www.supermicro.com/products/system/7U/7088/SYS-7088B-TR4FT.cfm

1. J. Cook Silver badge
        Joke

That... is a ridiculously overpowered machine.

I'll need five of them.

3. Neon Teepee
    WTF?

In other news

My new homebrew hypervisor that I built out of some Cobol, Fortran and Pascal code, some stickyback plastic and a Blue Peter badge is able to use 8000 squillion, billion, trillion, hundred of the new gvCPU's and 400 Trillion TB's of nvrRAM (What do you mean you dont know what that is?)

And those figures are totally as relevant as the ones mentioned in this story.

I recently worked for a big data company that squished numbers for some very large companies. They didn't get close to troubling VMWare's current maximum numbers let alone the new ones.

1. TheVogon

Re: In other news

"And those figures are totally as relevant as the ones mentioned in this story."

Except that Hyper-V has over 30% market share and Vsphere over 40% Market share....

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Neon Teepee Re: In other news

"......And those figures are totally as relevant as the ones mentioned in this story....." Many years ago I had a very, very direct South African as a boss, and he was famous for shutting down irrelevant sales pitches. We used to go into sales meetings just hoping a vendor rep would say something to set him off! I expect anyone touting the similarly irrelevant new Hyper-V brag figures would leave with their ears burning.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Considering the win10 offering from MS can anyone actually trust that this Hyper-V offering has been tested and isn't just beta software put out for others to test?

1. TheVogon

"actually trust that this Hyper-V offering has been tested and isn't just beta software put out for others to test?!"

It' available for anyone to test (and report any bugs) and make up your own mind:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-technical-preview

5. SeanSkiVT

This is like bragging that your Veyron is faster than my McLaren F1. Nobody is driving the things 250mph anyway (just as nobody is using 512 logical processors or 16TB of guest RAM).

6. defiler

But...

Can it virtualise Crysis?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like