back to article Error: Print job 'Money' failed for laserjet001.lan.hp.com

HP Inc says it will move forward with its plans to cut costs and refocus its business as it posted better than expected quarterly numbers. For the three months to July 31, Q3 of its 2016 fiscal year, the printers and PCs half of the HP split reported: Revenues of $11.9bn were down four per cent on the year-ago total of $12. …

1. Tac Eht Xilef

Surely the title should be:

"Error: Print job 'Money' failed for laserjet001.lan.hp.com - licence expired"?

2. a_yank_lurker

Printers the new typewriters

Some of us oldtimers remember typewriters which are extremely rare these days being everywhere. Printers are heading in a similar direction as people need to print less. Printers will not become as rare as typewriters but people will need them less.

3. Sureo

"not all printers are created equal"

That's why I tossed my HP printer and now use a Dell color laser printer.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: "not all printers are created equal"

Brother Inkjets & lasers replaced Epson Inkjets and HP lasers here, they got too cost reduced about 10 years ago.

4. paulf
    Coat

That's a lot of redundancies

"HP says it is on track with its plan** to lay off 3,000 workers by the end of the year in an effort to reduce its overhead costs."

** From that article, "HP, which employed 302,000 people in mid-2015, is just emerging from its previous round of redundancies in which it binned roughly 58,000 workers."

I don't have access to the detailed Q&A that happens at their results but do Manglement ever get taken to task on how they can make a fifth of the workforce redundant? Either Manglement neglected their responsibilities to run the business efficiently and the business was egregiously overstaffed (i.e. burning money with no real RoI) or they're expecting the unfortunates left behind to pick up the slack for no more pay with the consequences of the resulting overwork causing more costs than it saves.

Icon -> Yes I already know the answer but it's frustrating all the same.

1. Warm Braw

Re: That's a lot of redundancies

burning money with no real RoI

Unfortunately, when the money is rolling in, it seems the tendency of management is to concentrate their efforts on schemes to piss it away it on poorly-considered acquisitions and glitzy new HQ buildings. It's only when the money stops rolling in that they notice the lack of RoI - and then usually only when the stockholders start getting shirty.

It's much more Wall Street to be hatching deals in wine bars than trying to understand what contribution the Bulgarian plastic widget unit is making to the business.

There's plenty of documentatry evidence to demonstrate that business performance could be improved by replacing the boards of most big companies with pot plants. The fact that HP isn't headed up by a Petunia simply shows their hostility to evidence-based management.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: That's a lot of redundancies

I knew HP was in trouble when I saw they had job titles, descriptions and grades for pilots. A bit like DEC's helicopters to ferry themselves between buildings.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If only there was some enterprise software or services revenue to prop up the numbers...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like