back to article Google and Microsoft are playing catchup with AWS's cloudy power

AWS continues to dominate the cloud infrastructure market but Microsoft and Google are growing faster than the book-punting behemoth, research from Canalys shows. None of which will be much comfort to the hardware vendors who have been wrong-footed by the speed at which the cloud has been embraced by their traditional business …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"Google took 7.4 per cent of the market but grew 80 per cent."

Once again we witness the use of percentages to try to make something more important than it is.

If you had written "Google took 7.4% of the market, going from a little bit to a little bit more", it wouldn't have seemed so impressive, would it? But that's what actually happened.

I sell an apple today, tomorrow I sell 2 apples. Wow ! I've increased sales by 100% !

It's only 2 apples.

Try not to repeat the hyperbole, ok ? Canalys is the marketing company, not El Reg. Get back to biting, please.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Re: "Google took 7.4 per cent of the market but grew 80 per cent." @Pascal

"The firm reckons the total market will grow 50 per cent for the year as a whole, to $37.8bn"

7.4% of this multi-billion dollar market and 80% growth is unimpressive?

1. ratfox

Re: "Google took 7.4 per cent of the market but grew 80 per cent." @Pascal

Maybe it would have been better to report what percentage each player had last year. The important thing is who will have enough critical mass that third parties will develop tools for their ecosystem.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Google took 7.4 per cent of the market but grew 80 per cent."

Apparently an AWS backer? Google has grown to 7.4% of the market, a huge market, and is growing faster than AWS. The most impressive part... they are not even trying yet. AWS has a huge salesforce and is pressing hard. Microsoft has a crazy large salesforce and channel. Google just got started. They have just started to build an actual salesforce and build out a catalog to match AWS. Google has the most impressive cloud tech. I think they will continue to grow rapidly.

Frankly, I think the IBM numbers are the most unbelievable. I know no one who uses SoftLayer.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Google has the most impressive cloud tech

Does it? You sure it's not that Google are the only company in that list considered "cool" by the cutting-edge tech nerds? Who's going to get brownie points for picking M$'s Azure?

Considering Google's penchant for ditching software that it doesn't consider "successful enough" I'd be wary of putting all my eggs in that particular basket....

2. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Apparently an AWS backer?

From the AC posting a Google sales pitch? What part of your post, specifically, made you think you'd better hide your name?

3. TheVogon

"Google has the most impressive cloud tech."

Based on what assessment / criteria?

Most impressive to me (other than the tool set) is the fastest storage performance and lowest latency options - and as far as I am aware Azure wins both of those hands down...

3. TheVogon

7.4% for Google to me is unbelievable. I have yet to come across anyone at all using Google for cloud infrastructure. I wonder if the "research from Canalys" is based on actual measurements?

Most peers and companies I talk to are either using AWS and or Azure. The preferred target going forwards seems to be Azure.

2. RudderLessIT

How did NTT/Dimension Data rate?

I'm a customer of Azure, but I know that both NTT and their child company, Dimension Data (they had a great TdF this year!), have invested heavily in the cloud.

1. Zed Zee

Re: How did NTT/Dimension Data rate?

NTT, like PCCW Global, and a host of other TeleComs providers, have suddenly woken up and realised that the world has moved on and they're hemorrhaging customers to public cloud providers.

Since they own the pipes under the sea, which the likes of AWS and Google, rely upon, the TeleComs have decided that they should jump in on the act and create their own clouds, which they are selling to their customers, as a MSP/CSP entity.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

or to look at it another way...

7.4% of customers of this multi-billion dollar market seem to think that Google are trustworthy enough to look after their data!!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like