back to article nbn™ switches on first Telstra HFC-powered broadband services

nbn™, the entity building and operating Australia's national broadband network (NBN), has announced its first services delivered over the hybrid fibre-coax (HFC) cables formerly owned by Australia's dominant carrier Telstra. Ocean Reef, a suburb of the Western Australian capital Perth is the lucky recipient of the new service …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Soooooooooooooooo close

But light years away...........

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Soooooooooooooooo close

Their 3 year plan hasn't seen an update in the last year, then again it describes the first expected build date, which seems to be when they think some confused Telstra employee will show up for a look at the neighbourhood.

It bears no relation to when you can actually get a working service.

The kids will be grown up and left home by the time it all happens and my mobile phone will provide faster speeds.

2. adfh
    Thumb Down

... and for the areas that aren't greenfield, brownfield, rural fixed wireless/satellite or HFC cabled?

#sameasiteverwas

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

I wish more people would make this point. While the argument over media continues, those without adequate broadband wait. And wait.

3. pblakez

how is this different from redcliffe ?

4. Adam 1

> up to

The key words in that claim.

1. Tim Roberts 1

To quote (probably badly ) Monty Python "...as long as you realise that up-to clearly includes the number zero"

IIRC this was from a skit about some treatment that would allow one to "sleep with up to 300 women per day" or somesuch.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is a debacle... I had Telstra Cable Ultimate when it was released which was a 100Mbit service (depending on number of others using the cable for TV/Internet services)... and then the definition of 'broadband' was re-framed and I was downgraded to a max of 30Mbit; with only a piece of marketing fluff advertising that they tripled my download limit for free! (fine print, we've reduced your download speed).

Now NBN is claiming victory of up to 100Mbit service on the HFC network - which we had a few years ago.

This political football really needs to be cleaned up.

6. rtb61

HFC was always problematic because in reality the speeds claim were always, up to because it is always shared bandwidth, so your up to speed was your shared speed and depending how many others shared, you got only a tiny percentage of the claimed up to speed, basically a typical telstra lie.

No wonder the Liberals go on board with telstra, liars buying in with liars.

7. raytaylor

Done in NZ already

Saturn did this in New Zealand in the 90's. You used to be able to order internet from a number of wholesale operators on the HFC network owned by Saturn, then TelstraClear, then Vodafone in NZ since the late 90s

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like