back to article Heart Internet goes TITSUP again

UK-based web host Heart Internet has restored service to customers whose email has been titsup since Monday. Users were unable to use the service due to a single server failure. One reader got in touch to complain: "Apparently in a modern environment, hosted email clustering means only having one server for any individual …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

You're going to have to invent a new backronym where TITSUP is usual performance.

1. theModge

No need; SNAFU is the perfect tool for that job.

Situation Normal; All Fucked Up

2. RIBrsiq
    FAIL

"no single point of failure"

You keep using that term, and I don't think it means what you think it means!

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Hosting is done on one server

Cloud is still in its infancy, obviously. It would seem that some cloud services are more pared to the bone than others.

The only good thing about all this is that the great unwashed will learn, by trial and painful error, that price is not the only thing to take into account when signing up for a cloud service.

Like the automotive industry, the only good thing in this evolution is that, in the end, cloud services will perform better, because those that don't will wither and die. The only question is : how long will it take ? With the amount of people who pay and find shoddy performance good enough, it might take a while.

Now, if you're basing your business on it, I'm sorry but it seems to me that you should reevaluate your ROI criteria on this one.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Hosting is done on one server

If a cloud can be hosted on one server, my NAS is private cloud.

2. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Alien

https://xkcd.com/908/

3. Mayhem

Yeah, we've had enough and are now actively moving our customers off them.

They were good, but have frantically bought customers from everywhere in a race to the bottom and are frankly beyond rubbish now.

This was the harder to defend than a complete failure - why is HIS email down when MY email is fine?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Cloud is still in its infancy.

> Cloud is still in its infancy, obviously. It would seem that some cloud services are more pared to the bone than others, Pascal Monett

It's the people selling 'cloud' that have created unrealistic expectations. If it ain't cheaper and more reliable than sharing a rack-mounted PC in some server farm, then what's the point of moving to the 'cloud'. And cloud had been in use commercially since at least 2006, hardly in its infancy. What's never mentioned is the amount of bandwidth you would need to tap into your remote cloud IT infrastructure and what would happen to your business if-and-when it fails.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spreading clients out across servers is almost worse

... I struggle to convince people that xyz service is to blame when only selected accounts are down.

5. Vince

"Heart describes itself as "The UK's best web hosting backed by free 24 x 7 support"."

Self-Described and baseless claim (how is that validated precisely?)

Oh...

And they didn't say "best e-mail hosting" - just web hosting... so maybe they're the UK's worst e-mail hosting provider backed by free 24 x 7 support - although I imagine others will have views on who qualifies for the "worst" accolade.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Have you not seen all the awards they've bought from publishers saying they are the best?

6. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

"No single point of failure"

Is just hyped up marketing blurb so they don't have to admit to having "many points of failure".

7. yossarianuk

Windows

Note, it was a Windows based service that was down for so long.

Pretty sure if the underlying OS was a sane one it would never have been offline for that time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Windows

More importantly, it was an *Exchange* server. Big black proprietary box. Want to do replication or clustering? Hard. Expensive.

1. defiler

Microsoft Exchange service provider licensing is per mailbox, so no huge penalty there for replication.

If they have any sense they'll be using Windows Datacentre which is licensed per CPU socket regardless of number of virtual machines.

If you're hosting an Exchange service you *start* with 2x CAS, 2x Edge and 2x Mailbox servers, and you run them distributed across at least two physical hosts.

It's not hard if you plan it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Perhaps somebody needs to tell them how to configure Database Availability Groups (unless of course they are hosting Exchange earlier than 2010).

Also, you shouldn't have 2xCAS and 2xMailbox. Best practise is to have CAS and MB roles on the same servers. Check the preferred architecture for Exchange 2013:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2014/04/21/the-preferred-architecture/

If you move to Exchange 2016, you can't have 2xCAS and 2xMB. The CAS role no longer exists.

2. Brett 1

All OS's can be run badly, it's the quality of the engineers thats important.

8. Sgt_Oddball

I didn't even notice...

Admittedly we're on a dedicated server, but come the end of next week it's no longer our problem anyways (since our server contracts up and we ain't signing on no stinking dotted line again, that and migration should be finished by then).

9. Timbo

Would Heart Internet have anything to do with Fasthosts?, as they too suffered a major outage on their email platform on the same day...and that also took about the same time to fix.

Coincidence?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"We are pleased to say we have now repaired the issue on one of our Exchange Servers and all customer mailboxes should now be accessible"

Only one? Why not repair the other one too?

11. wobbly1

Not just Tech Support a problem for Heart

Took 5 months of constant reports to them for one of their clients to stop spamming me . He ignored emails, Heart didn't seem to think enforcing their Ts and Cs was their job. Probably their support staff were fully employed bicycling on the static bike with a hub dynamo to provide the power to run their server.

12. Stevie

Bah!

"One server?"

Apparently not.

Can we start calling these cloud-service outages "cloudbursts"?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like