back to article BlackBerry chief: We don't have to make phones to make phones

BlackBerry CEO John Chen said his company has an internal project to bring Android security up to the level of its BlackBerry 10 platform, which should bear fruit after the release of Android N. He also hinted at a future based around brand and technology licensing. "We have a tremendous amount of technology. We can stay in …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>"We have a tremendous amount of technology. We can stay in the handset business by not making every handset," he told journalists at a Q&A during the company's annual Security Summit in New York today.

"Maybe even the name," he mused, elaborating on what BlackBerry could license. "I could stay in the handset business where I provide a strong secure entry point, and I'm providing my customers continuity and a soft landing.

Isn't this the conversation you have with other top executives/board members in a plush meeting room as opposed to the general public? Instilling lots of confidence about remaining a going concern there.

2. Baldy50

Clipper chip!

Of course in true gov style they'd let the keys be leaked and then make the usual pathetic response trying to sound apologetic blaming whomever for the transgression and saying resoundingly that this type of technology could save lives identifying terrorists and learning the plans they have etc...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Clipper chip!

Easy to blame government but they wouldn't be able to pull that crap if a significant portion of the public weren't fearful ignorant little lemmings.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LOL! Blackberry Already Sold Out to Governments

Has everyone forgot this?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/aug/07/saudi-arabia-deal-avert-blackberry-ban

How about this?

https://news.vice.com/article/exclusive-canada-police-obtained-blackberrys-global-decryption-key-how

Or this?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/02/rim_keys_india/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Beware of Blackberry

They're basically saying they'll continue to cooperate with governments, via the criticism of Apple. I expect with iOS 10 what the FBI was asking Apple to do (develop a custom version of iOS to help the FBI get past the lock screen) will no longer be possible. Apple themselves won't have the capability to get past your lock screen. What will Chen's position be then, that Apple needs to change their software so it is possible to help the FBI? Should they change iMessage so the messages go through an Apple server instead of directly from sender to recipient, to allow a way for Apple to collect them for the FBI?

Beware Blackberry, no matter how secure they claim they make their special version of Android when their mystery project is done. They're making it clear they are going to have a way in to your stuff, and just because their intention/claim it will only be provided under strict legal guidelines, doesn't mean it will remain that way. Much better if the company itself has NO way to access your private data, then no matter how much pressure the government puts on them we can't have a repeat of PRISM.

1. BigJoe

Re: Beware of Blackberry

So ignorant of you to even mention PRISM. It's ongoing and all US companies are subject to it. BlackBerry is not as a Canadian company. That may be part of the reason they've been bullied out of the device business. Yes, they cooperate to the extent that they can when presented with a warrant, but there are locked BlackBerry devices in evidence lockers around the world that NOBODY will ever crack. You're a complete lemming if you buy Tim Cook's song and dance. BlackBerry still gives you the only option at real privacy and security, but you have to know what you're doing.

4. wolfetone Silver badge

Piss off Chen.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Before long

Chen will be selling the brand name to Ribena so it can sell blackberry flavour as well as blackcurrant.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But...

Does Blackberry Software running on Android make a Dangleberry?

7. lukewarmdog

He could also not do a press conference or make any comments.

Just do them in his head and save us all the hassle of having to listen to him.

Because that would be as good as having a press conference or making comments by his own logic.

8. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

One thing they can specialize in

There is one thing they can continue to specialize in -- phones with keyboards!

I mean, really, I looked recently to see what phones with keyboard I could get, I've got a Stratosphere II (Android 4.1 phone with LTE). After I found VZW's website doesn't have a choice to filter by keyboard any more, I did some Googling. A review that went over the "top 10" on all 4 of the biggest US carriers had a BlackBerry Priv (which does look nice, it's running Android rather than BlackBerry 10), another BlackBerry, a 3rd BlackBerry, like 1 other Android (with a 640x480 screen and Android 4.0..., lower spec than the Strat II...) and a couple "feature phones" (calls, text, and pictures only.)

Some people now have the solution of having a phone, tablet, or "phablet" and a plug-in keyboard. That's fine, but I don't want to have to carry around accessories with my phone.

Blackberry should think about this -- it's unfortunate that the BlackBerry itself (i.e. a phone running BlackBerry OS) has become niche. But the "Android phone with keyboard" alone is a distinguishing feature for them; they could make a flaghsip phone (as they are now), mid-range, or low-end and not have to worry about it being "yet another Android phone" and not stand out.

If there's enough current BlackBerry OS users too, it would make sense to keep getting customers from that niche too, they could make sure BB runs on the same hardware and get 2 for one.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: One thing they can specialize in

"There is one thing they can continue to specialize in -- phones with keyboards!"

I have to be honest about this. I stuck with BB too long because of this. But then I realised that I was going to have to switch because of the limitations of BB 10. The autosuggest on my present keyboard is creepily AI, but it works. It has also made me aware how many standard sentences I use because it predicts them word by word so often. I have just had to train myself to make quick replies to emails on the phone when out, and then write anything further on my T&L laptop when back - on which I can touch type at speeds I could never have achieved on a BB.

I really liked my Q10, it was a good piece of hardware, but my current phone is better more of the time than it is worse, and the main thing missing is the Blackberry unified inbox, not the keyboard.

9. Jess

reinventing the very expensive wheel

Seems very strange to abandon your secure partially android compatible platform (especially when each release improved the compatibility) to try and fix android.

I have given up with smartphones now. The Q5 will never be complete. (Just like the N8).

I now have a 10 inch tablet phone, which I only carry when I am expecting a call (or want to use as a tablet of course)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem is...

...that the technology that prevents access to organised criminal communications is the exact same thing that prevents access to government employees acting as whistle-blowers about abuse of legal restraints on law enforcement and intelligence agencies.

Apple quite understands that there is a moral issue, but cannot act if providing access allows government to cover up good things instead of simply prosecute bad things.

Ethical dilemmas are not easy to resolve.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

Let's break bad!

Exploit the Crackberry name to start selling crack?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like