back to article Netflix scores new Trek tellie

Netflix has won the rights to stream the new Star Trek television series. The new series will be shown on CBS's streaming platform in the United States and Canada. Netflix has picked up streaming rights for the rest of the world, plus rights for the entire Trek-on-tellie back catalog. Don't get too excited: kids these days …

1. Tony Paulazzo

I love Netflix! I pay them a fair sub, they don't advertise at me, I get to watch some shit hot TV.

This current score also assures that the new Star Trek TV (streaming-only in USA), is gonna be a big success.

1. Tom Servo

agree. got rid of the virgin tv service earlier this and just use Netflix and downloads - saving about £50 PM and missing nothing.

A huge side benefit also is my 8 year old doesn't see any ads for crap on a Saturday morning any more - a price well worth paying for.

Now if any kindly soul out there wants to tell me what smart DNS service is currently working and flying under Netflix radar so I can access the US site again, I would be much obliged, all my usual suspects over the last 6 months have gone.

1. Anon the mouse

Netflix has got overly harsh in locking down everything that isn't a home ip address. Everything from data centres down to hotels has been locked out.

A shame really as the smart DNS or VPN solution was what made netflix good. I'd rather watch Netflix France or Netherlands than UK

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Technically, that would be somewhere between 36,3 und 37,4 °C. Which I don't find that hot, but YMMV of course.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

This:

I love torrents! I pay them nothing, they don't advertise at me, I get to watch some shit hot TV.

This current score also assures that the new Star Trek TV (streaming-only in USA but available EVERYWHERE else moments after transmission), is gonna be a big success.

TFTFY

2. Accuran Devil

OMG! OMG! OMFG!.... meh.... yeah a little excited

3. Accuran Devil
    Happy

About time...

About time we had more religion on Netflix....

4. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Why block paying users even if they're from other regions?

Heck, if my South African Rands are good enough for them, then they should allow me to watch what I want, not dictate to me that I can watch X, Y, and Z but not A, B and C whilst the rest of the world+dog can watch from A up to Z without any restrictions.

Kind of boggles the mind....

Scotty! Beam me up!

1. Merchman

It will be down to licensing between the people that own the IP and broadcasters in those regions/countries. Netflix will have to abide by existing broadcast agreements.

1. Teiwaz

So, UK?

Who currently has it? Sky or BBC (I'm sure I've seen previous Trek on both).

- I don't watch an awful lot of any telly these days.

I might have taken a Netflix sub for it, but not likely to fork out for Sky.

1. davidp231

Re: So, UK?

Currently: TNG, DS9 and VOY are on Syfi (sub needed). TOS, DS9* on CBS Action (Freeview, Sky (without subscription to Sky)).

*Second run-through, so it could be VOY up next.

1. g0ld3n3y3

Re: So, UK?

All the star trek series are on netflix uk. Currently half way thru ds9 season 3

2. Raphael

Because if Netflix don't abide by the regional content streaming rights them the content owners will take the rights away which means no content.

It's annoying and I don't like it but it's not Netflix who should be blamed.

3. Deltics
      Facepalm

It only boggles minds that can't be bothered to do even the most basic research into the long standing issue of territorial licensing/distribution agreements which have been with us since LONG before streaming services exposed more consumers to the latest reasons to complain about the matter.

This is also the reason that the Amazon store in country "A" won't ship every item in their inventory to every country. There are some goods which the distribution agreement with their suppliers prohibit them from shipping overseas. If Amazon/Netflix/et al broke the terms of those agreements then the rights holders making money from the distribution/licensing agreements would take their business elsewhere.

The agreements are what limit the consumers access to the goods and services. Abiding by and enforcing the terms of those agreements is what enables the stores/service providers to continue to supply those goods and services.

That's why.

5. Mutton Jeff

Arrgh, Black hole binge watch....

C'ya after eternity

6. Yugguy
    Thumb Up

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

That is all I can say.

7. cambsukguy

Netflix does let you watch the Netflix in other countries

You just have to be *in* that country.

There I was, using VPN to get at Netflix UK while not realising that Netflix.fr works perfectly and Netflix happily allows me to use it.

Of course, the shows are different in may cases (Modern Family is available here for instance, 6 seasons worth), whilst it disappeared in the UK, at least as of 3 months ago when I was last there.

The Star Trek news is great, being of an age to have enjoyed all if it first time around.

And, this just in, for those Making A Murderer fans, a new series, on Netflix of course. They *must* have more evidence of wilful corruption, framing or possibly even innocence, intriguing to say the least.

Netflix has only just increased my payment from £6 per month, talk about good value, and it beats that crap out of Amazon, which is horrid, un-share-able rubbish that only comes reasonably priced if you buy a lot of stuff from Amazon and think Prime is therefore worth it. Buying a lot of stuff from Amazon is an expensive way to get telly for sure.

Now they have dropped the WinPhone app, I will use them even less on general principle. Jesus, even 3 or 4% of the total phone market is millions of devices and almost everyone uses Amazon. They could maintain the app for what amounts to *millions* of possible customers.

I suppose if they made a UWP and thus covered WP10, it would be reasonable since the number of WP8 phones is going to reduce over time, especially if MS bit the bullet and got the port to work for the 920/925/1020 group of phones. Go ON MS, do it! Just a few little issues with the SOC, fix 'em and make those folks happy.

Oops, I appeared to have slightly drifted off topic, where was I? Oh yeah...

Go Netflix!, keep us happy, more like this.

8. Oengus

New Netflix subscription coming

I can already hear a mate of mine on the keyboard, setting up a new Netflix account, just to get access to this.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon