back to article Coup-Tube: Turkey blocks social networks amid military takeover

Access to YouTube, Facebook and Twitter is blocked in Turkey tonight amid an ongoing attempted military coup in the NATO nation. The cyber-blockade has failed to prevent pictures from the unfolding uprising spilling onto the internet, though. An intervention by a faction of the country's armed forces is underway right now as …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

if you can read this you are probably one of the lucky ones

Just once again thanking fate I was not one of the billion plus people cursed to be born in an Islamic majority country. There really is no best case for Turkey in this. Even if Erdoğan comes out on top with little bloodshed he is going to be even more of a dictator diverging further from the west. On the other hand ask Egyptians how great military rule can be. So happy to go home here a in a few minutes to my very comfortable home in a stable western democracy. Blessed more than I could ever know.

1. Camilla Smythe

Re: if you can read this you are probably one of the lucky ones

Last I knew grass roots Turkey was inhabited by credible people. You make it sound like Theresa May is in control whilst Boris Johnson is dealing with foreign policy. Welcome home.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Dozens of other measures to show no Islamic majority country is even in the same ballpark as western European democracies and the US in any meaningful measurement but this will do for now.

Country/Territory Median Gross household income (2012)

United States 43,585

United Kingdom 31,617

Mexico 11,680

Turkey 8,995

1. Alistair

I'll note the Anonymous tag, and leave you in the troll bin.

To several of my relatives, this is right in the middle their *front* yard. Perhaps you might want to watch something *other* than Fox.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

>And how about you compare them blah blah blah

Ok.

Quality of Life Index for Country 2016 Mid Year

http://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-life/rankings_by_country.jsp

Rank Country Quality of Life Index

1 Denmark 201.53

10 United States 181.91

13 United Kingdom 177.73

40 Serbia 135.95

41 Qatar 135.57

42 Lithuania 133.37

43 Turkey 129.65

49 Iran 96.99

Captain Oveur: Joey, have you ever been in a... in a Turkish prison?

2. Charles 9

What's the common unit for this chart?

And how about you compare them to their median cost of living as well, since where you are can determine how far you can stretch your cash.

3. Triggerfish

Are you saying Mexico is an Islamic country?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

>Are you saying Mexico is an Islamic country?

Of course not just giving some perspective on other countries ahead of it on the list. Honestly though one could make a strong argument that the corruption and poverty that comes with most *Roman Catholic countries (outside of Alps and especially outside Western Europe) may have similar roots to the majority Islamic countries.

* What Mexico's overwhelming predominant religion still is, but being very close I can tell you that the US evangelicals are quietly making inroads around the edges. Sigh out of the frying pan ...

1. Triggerfish

That's not how you seemed to use it earlier to make your point.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
      Big Brother

"if you can read this" then your government is allowing you to read this... I guess the web isn't as free spirited as it once was.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Easy there though AC. Although I agree with you, I also think the Islam is a very dangerous movement / religion, there's also no need to look down on them like this. If you look at the amount of people who supported Erdogan (note: I'm leaving it in the middle if this was good or bad) then it's also fair to say that there are plenty of people who are happy to be living in such an Islamic state.

Although I do believe we're dealing with a major and serious threat here (a leader who tries to prevent free speech from happening is per definition a dictator in my book) there is more to this story than "bad Islam" alone.

I mean: if you look at the current state of the Middle East, especially the uprise of IS and the unrest in Iraq and Syria then I think it's fair to say that the same "Free West" had a major influence in that. I'd even go as far as to say that the West, and the US in particular, started the whole thing up, now referring to the false flag operation to remove Saddam Hussein.

SO yeah, I do agree with you. I'm also very happy to be living in Europe and not in the Middle East, but I don't think it's fair those who do live there to comment how lucky we are. Because quite frankly, in a way we're somewhat responsible for their misfortune.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I mean: if you look at the current state of the Middle East, especially the uprise of IS and the unrest in Iraq and Syria then I think it's fair to say that the same "Free West" had a major influence in that. I'd even go as far as to say that the West, and the US in particular, started the whole thing up, now referring to the false flag operation to remove Saddam Hussein."

You;re right, but not for the more recent reasons stated. Just look at who historically drew the lines on the map of the Middle East, splitting peoples and tribal groupings and consequently lumping non-friendlies into said line boxes. Some of those lines were drawn for geographical and geological reasons but some were drawn specifically to split certain tribal areas.

4. Thatguyfromthatforum

Indonesia , Malaysia .. Lots of beautiful places with beautiful people. I've lived in majority Muslim countries for years and what did I find? Hospitable people, nice food and no degenerates filling the streets every weekend. Each to their own I suppose but tarring everyone with x religion is ridiculous. I spent time in the Bible Belt in the US and felt far more curtailed in regards to my own personal freedom than in Muslim countries.

5. Thatguyfromthatforum

Furthermore, how would you of felt growing up in the "communist" Ukraine during the Holodomor? Or the purges in other parts of Eastern Europe. Last time I checked communism is an atheist ideology. Maybe the problem is despotic leaders, who twist whatever ideology, whether that be religion or political writing to their own ends. Genuinely it's people like you who are the reason I left the west. Happy to hide from their faux moral high ground and supremacist ideology "we are all so much better here because of x". You cite democracy being a staple of the west, if you really believe that I'll buy a bag of whatever you're smoking. Or maybe you can show me when there was a referendum for the invasion of Iraq, the bailing out the bankers or the legal processes the elites face when exposed in the wakes of scandals like dolphin square. Get over yourself.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Considering emigration to Turkey?

Cons: Army in the streets, martial law and a wannabe Islamist strongman who will probably find a way to retain martial law even if he defeats the army

Pros: No Facebook or Twitter trying to monetize your thoughts and personal life. Lots of sunny weather.

Hmmmmmmm.......

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Baldy50

There's more!

Social media is a constant threat to dystopian minded governments.

https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/charlotte-silver/mossad-linked-group-sues-facebook-1-billion

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: There's more!

Social media is also a threat to democracy though.

By subsuming and otherwise destroying the free press, you no longer have the informed voters required by democracy. It becomes indistinguishable from other less representative types of government.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>Social media is also a threat to democracy though.

See Curt Schilling's tweet/meme of the week for proof.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"By subsuming and otherwise destroying the free press, you no longer have the informed voters required by democracy. It becomes indistinguishable from other less representative types of government."

Have you seen how The Guardian has become indistinguishable from the Daily Mail in the last six months ?

3. Paul Crawford Silver badge

I think you mean "by spreading obvious bollocks through the moron-net in a manner that even the Daily Mail and Morning Star would be ashamed of".

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Social media is also a threat to democracy though."

Actually, social media is a threat to civilization because it empowers the stupid to think they know more than they do, encouraging them to rise up in an Idiocracy.

5. TeeCee Gold badge

The other huge problem is it forces knee-jerk reactionism. Governments no longer have the time to work out a sensible policy before the public goes apeshit over ${agitprop_triviality_of_the_week}.

6. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"By subsuming and otherwise destroying the free press, you no longer have the informed voters required by democracy. It becomes indistinguishable from other less representative types of government."

Then you're chasing moonbeams because modern people don't WANT to be informed of things other than what they WANT to hear. Modern society is a sea of islands that don't want to talk to each other, thus politics quickly turn polar and "Us vs. Them".

2. 100113.1537

Seems like you could also usefully refer here:

http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog/social-media-echo-chambers/

Not to mention the suggestion that the recent bloodshed in South Sudan was inspired by a Facebook posting:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/13/africa/south-sudan-violence-questions/

4. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Sweet Justice

The only European head of state (probably an overstatement, only Turkey's arse is in Europe, its head isn't) to systematically block social networks because someone has posted something "anti-turkish" has had to resort to Twitter and Instagram in an hour of need.

The fact that the coup has fizzled so fast is bad news though - it shows that Erdogan's quest to move Turkey to an Persharaf/Bashar/Saddam style pretend-secular Islamic dictatorship is nearly complete.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Oh, dear...

Erdoğan will be making plenty of Turkey twizzlers tomorrow!

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

It's the 21st century all right

Am I in a fucking movie by Mamoru Oshii?

Military coups in Turkey are/were of course a regional tradition (ABC is helpfully rolling out the résumé) and the sad part is that I don't even know who is the least bad guy here (is this the Chile feel? Why yes it is!)

Let the Turkish People decide, then!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's the 21st century all right

Let the Turkish People decide, then!

But referenda get the wrong answer dont they?

We can't let the people decide what is best for them!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It's the 21st century all right

Not sure if sarcasm.

Referendum are definitely not the right tool for reducing large nuanced decisions to a binary vote, then letting the mob decide.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: referenda get the wrong answer dont they?

Referendums always get the right answer : the one they were tailored to produce.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Of course this would never have happened...

If they had been in the EU. That organization dedicated to eliminating war and civil disturbance and any kind of racial ethnic or religious violence from El Continent....

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Of course this would never have happened...

This why, despite what some Brexit campaigners claimed, Turkey is many, many years away from even being considered for EU membership.

8. Martin Maloney
    Coat

Grrr...

Rude infidels ruined my St. Swithen's Day!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cloud Coup-coup Land

Remind me again why Turkey should join the EU?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

...why Turkey should join the EU?

Well there's a space going free now.

1. Jason Hindle

Re: ...why Turkey should join the EU?

"Well there's a space going free now."

But only 1GB. 1GB is chickenshit these days.

10. ChubbyBehemoth

Not good for Turkey nor the rest of the world

It is curious to see that the first reaction of the Erdogan regime was to sack the judges. Oh,.. and declare war on the US sort of, but I guess you've missed that part. In all it seems this will lead to a clean-up of Turkeys society with Erdogan and his ilk getting rid of all perceived opposition. The people involved in this attempt must have been pretty desperate already to try this, now their fears will be complete. The nation build by Ataturk has died yesterday, basically by suicide.

I wonder in how far this was a cunning plot to get rid of the remaining opposition really.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Not good for Turkey nor the rest of the world

Where is Boris when we need him?

(Limerick)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Where is Boris when we need him?"

At the cricket.....

2. 100113.1537

I have read credible suggestions that this "coup" was instigated by Erdogan himself as a way to get rid of certain elements. He came up with a list of almost 3,000 judges to suspend pretty quickly....

Might be a a bit on the tinfoil hat wearing side, but would you put it past him?

11. Chris G

Bit of a player

This is a guy who is playing different hands of cards on different tables, has close financial ties with the Saudis who allegedly got his son Bilal out of Italy a while back with a fake Saudi passport.

He also has a hands on the go with the US and Europe for varying reasons from helping with ISIS, both apparently fighting them and supplying them (depending on what and where you read) to trying to become a EU member.

I think ultimately he sees himself becoming the new leader of the reborn Ottoman Empire and is currently placing his family members in good supporting roles to ensure his presidency.

I met a cousin of his a couple of years back who reckoned counting your fingers was recommended after shaking hands with Erdogan.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bit of a player

"I met a cousin of his a couple of years back who reckoned counting your fingers was recommended after shaking hands with Erdogan."

... And thanks to your remark there will be some "cleansing" within Erdogan's family soon.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Yes. I"m sure Erdogan is secretly a fellow commentard on El Reg in his spare time.

1. MJI Silver badge

How to test.

Reprint Boris's limerick and see if you get threatened by Merkel.

12. Pete4000uk

Periscope kept working as I spent a couple of hours watching the events from the peoples perspective.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perfect fit for the EU

They should join immediately.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Access to YouTube, Facebook and Twitter is blocked in Turkey tonight

So not all bad then.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Turkey is a god-forsaken shithole

The end.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Turkey

Is stuffed.

17. DaddyHoggy

My parents were (and still are) on holiday in Turkey when the coup kicked off - they lost Internet Connectivity almost immediately (although they didn't know it at the time as they were out having a meal). Two police officers suggested they returned to their hotel and to stay there for 24hrs until things 'settled down'.

I did managed to speak to them via Whatsapp - but even that was very patchy and broken - but I'm glad it worked sufficiently well for me to tell them what was going on (as they had no idea) and to make sure they were OK.

They had full Internet access again by Saturday PM though.

18. Ken Smith

Facebook working in Ismir

A friend has been posting through the night on Facebook in Ismir

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like