back to article Post Brexit EU will spend 'stability and peace' budget funding Chinese war drones

The European Union wants to spend part of its “peace building” overseas aid budget on equipping African and Middle Eastern countries' armed forces, according to reports – which could include the provision of Chinese-built drones. The Financial Times reported yesterday that Brussels bureaucrats are planning to amend the rules …

1. BoldMan

So is this supposed to be a "Look how awful the EU is, we are better off out of it" type of article?

Did I end up at The Sun website by accident?

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Yes

For me, the most vomit inducing phrase was: "reportedly[1] lobbied for heavily by EU member states[2]"

[1] By whom? (Possibly some guy in the pub, probably a ranting loony on the internet)

[2] Which ones? (My bet is if there are any, one is the UK)

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

My reading is: "Those nasty Eu bastards, they did not buy overpriced and underpowered BAE crap".

3. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: BoldMan

"So is this supposed to be a "Look how awful the EU is, we are better off out of it" type of article?...." IMHO, no. This is more of an arms-business-as-usual-but-now-with-additional-EU-"peace"-funding article. All the World's industrial nations have been doing these kind of grants for decades in attempts to either shore up their regime/dictator of choice or to push their arms products. Wanting to believe the EU is any different is naïve.

From a purely technical aspect, the interesting bit is how more and more Third World nations are latching on to UCAVs for their internal "policing" rather than hideously expensive ego-trips like the Ethiopian Su-27s mentioned in the article. Wouldn't you rather they spent a tenth of the cash on UCAVs that they would rather have spent on jets like the F-35? It leaves more loot for their corrupt officials to syphon off (allegedly like the 15bn USD simply "gone missing" from the Zimbabwean diamond business - http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35720912). At least the dictators of today will be getting their genocides sorted in a more cost-effective manner, with the help of the EU taxpayer.

And who thought they'd ever see the words "EU funding" and "cost-effective" in the same article!

4. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

Could it be that some Brexiters are upset bye the fact that the world is not only crying but laughing too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Could it be that some Brexiters are upset bye the fact that the world is not only crying but laughing too.

Only the ones that can't think.

Our exchange rate has cratered, and that's marvelous news. Meanwhile the clowns of most of the EU are still locked in the perma-criss of the Euro caused by frozen, inaccurate "exchange rates" equivalences, with a vast chunk of southern Europe out of work, whilst Germany's order books are full. The EEC, EFTA were quite reasonable ideas, slowly and variably implemented. The EU and the Euro were appalling, madcap ideas, implemented precipitately and without foresight.

A day of reckoning will come, and that will involve either the break up of the EU, or the Germans accepting that they'll have to pay off a good chunk of southern Europe's debts. If you think otherwise, contact Jean Claude Juncker and Mari Draghi, who will be delighted that you know the answer, because they haven't got any solutions.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

A day of reckoning will come, and that will involve either the break up of the EU, or the Germans accepting that they'll have to pay off a good chunk of southern Europe's debts

Not necessarily, not necessarily. There is option 3 - Southern Europe to live within its means for a while. It is not pretty, but it is possible:

Southern Europe debt stats vs Bulgaria and UK

Eastern Europe vs UK debt stats

When I look at that graph, that is clearly on UK near future menu as well. Brexit will take care of that by the look of it.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

If the Germany is going to pay up, it'd better do it soon. It's in a game of chicken with Italy.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"The EU and the Euro were appalling, madcap ideas, implemented precipitately and without foresight."

Just look at the UK for an example, a carefully implemented political and economical union of several nations.

Hmmm.... Right.

No, on second thought, the EU beats the UK hands down. It's not perfect, it can be better. But unlike the UK and what every other member did, it's not using violence to establish itself. That's quite a change in the history of humanity.

I'm not willing it to fail just because it's fun to watch things burn without thinking of the consequences.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Sun Tzu would be proud

"But unlike the UK and what every other member did, it's not using violence to establish itself. That's quite a change in the history of humanity."

No, but when people can't eat they can't fight back when your friends come to visit. If someone pays your farmers to grow crops that cannot be used as food by people, or they raise your national debt to several times the amount of money in your nation, then they don't really need to fight you. They can just walk in and take what they want - if you argue, you starve. Quite simple really.

Why exactly does the EU need its own standing army again?

4. Matt Bryant Silver badge
          Happy

Re: Ledswinger

"....or the Germans accepting that they'll have to pay off a good chunk of southern Europe's debts...." Oh, that's already happening, as shown by the Greek bailout. The EU and IMF give money to Greece, a large chunk of it from German taxpayers. The Greeks are then forced to give it to the non-Greek banks to meet the repayments on their debts, the majority of that (IIRC) being with German banks*, which means the majority of the bailout money promptly goes back to Germany! The German politicians won't upset the German banks by writing off the debt so they are stuck with having to pay the interest payments by the circuitous route of EU bailouts. I suspect that is why the IMF does not want to be involved in any further Greek bailouts, because the rest of the World (especially the Yanks) are sick and tired of paying off the German banks. Imagine the fun Angel Merkel will have explaining to the voters at the next German elections that they will probably be stuck with paying more taxes to fund the German banks via Greek debt relief!

*IIRC, in 2012 the largest single chunk of debt was actually with a Greek bank, Alpha Bank AE, but they hold only about 2.2% in total.

2. Pedigree-Pete
    Mushroom

Partners....

"used to build the capacity of military actors in partner countries”. They may be partners now but who knows what might change. Spain is a "partner" but they are as happy about Gibraltar as Argentine is about Las Malvinas. PP

3. Wommit

Oh {Deity}

Is every post for the next ten years going to be referenced to the apparent stupidity of the British voters?

The referendum is finished, get over it.

1. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Oh {Deity}

"The referendum is finished, get over it." Or around it.

I agree with "Professor Michael Dougan assesses UK’s position following vote to leave the EU "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dosmKwrAbI

2. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      FAIL

"Is every post for the next ten years going to be referenced to the apparent stupidity of the British voters?"

Most likely.

"The referendum is finished, get over it."

Ah, but the consequences will be felt for decades, one of which is gloating.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Is every post for the next ten years going to be referenced to the apparent stupidity of the British voters? The referendum is finished, get over it."

So just file it away under "bad ideas" and forget about it? Sounds good to me.

4. Baldy50

back doors!

Whatever the extra cost I would personally prefer this sort of indiscriminate type of destructive power built, designed and controlled by my incompetent government/military rather than another’s.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

I have no problem with governments providing military aid to other nations

But let's call it what it is, and not hide it in a humanitarian development program that doesn't have proper safeguards to make sure that some 3rd world strongperson doesn't use it to crush the opposition.

6. veti Silver badge

Yes, and?

This is how Britain preserved the peace of the world, mostly successfully, for a century before the Americans took over. And the Americans did precisely the same.

Look, if you want peace, somebody has to enforce it. If the central government has no teeth - well, if you're very, very lucky and privileged in your geography, history and politics, you get Costa Rica, but more likely you get Somalia or Afghanistan.

One way of "keeping peace" is to put your own soldiers in there. But that's - unfashionable, now. Also, not at all by coincidence, hideously dangerous and ruinously expensive. Or you can try to trick, cajole, shame or bribe another country into doing it for you, but that has most of the same drawbacks plus the fact that you have no direct control over what they do, because their goals are different from yours.

The only other way - note, only other way - is to pick a local team who will do the job for you, and support them. This is far cheaper, more acceptable to voters just about everywhere, and much more sustainable. But of course it means you have to let the local team set their own agenda, like the mujahedin in Afghanistan.

The only time it seriously backfires is when you badly misjudge the local team and find yourself supporting someone really nasty. And we've all done that, the French and Germans as well as the British and Americans.

7. druck Silver badge
    Facepalm

Come on remainers (there seems to be a lot of you on here), answer the question; do you approve of the EU doing this, and want us to be part of it?

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Absence of evidence interpreted as evidence of absence

Today, I can write to my MEP and say 'Someone on the internet made some wild accusations, and I believed them with any supporting evidence. Please vote against it.' The reply would be some vague denials and any further letter will be referred to the 'fob off the clueless twit' secretary.

I tried the EU search engine, with the search key 'stability and peace budget' which gave two promising results (1 2). Neither include the acronym 'UAV'.

I have found writing to my MEP about specific draft directives has been effective. So come on credulous brexiter, give us something specific to write to our MEPs about.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Come on remainers (there seems to be a lot of you on here), answer the question; do you approve of the EU doing this, and want us to be part of it?"

Helping African governments fight the likes of Boko Haram? Why would you not approve of that?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why would you not approve of that?

Britain should stop trying to be World Police and become isolationist instead. Think of all the money we could save if we just stuck to selling arms and turning a blind eye. Think of the food banks we could stock with those UAVs.

3. ThomH

When I voted remain, I didn't do so on any single issue, I did so on the balance of issues — most prominently that there is little sovereignty lost outside of the imaginations of the tabloid press, that there are substantial financial and lifestyle advantages to membership, and that the democratic deficit that exists is insufficiently substantial to overcome those advantages.

Does it change my mind that the amount of my tax money that, eventually, goes towards sponsoring equipment for foreign armies will be negligible more than it already is? No. See today's Chilcot Report findings for many of the reasons that I don't consider this, in relative terms, to be a big deal.

8. Dan Wilkie

Wait, I'm confused...

So we're providing money to the government of Syria, whilst also funding and training the militants we like to overthrow the government of Syria and defeat the other militants that we don't like?

That doesn't make any sense.

1. ChrisElvidge

Governments eh?

As above

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge

Re: Dan Wilkie

".....That doesn't make any sense." The EU is a massive, secretive and unelected bureaucracy, where the right hand often doesn't know what the left is doing. It's not just the EU, the UN is worse!

One hilarious example of this is from 2006, when Israeli forces recovered British-manufactured military nigh-vision gear from Hezbollah in the Lebanon. Not only was Hezbollah on the EU terror list, but there was an EU (and UN) export ban on such kit to the two most likely of Hezbollah's arms suppliers, Iran and Syria. HMG was flummoxed, until the serial numbers were traced to the UN, which had supplied the night-vision gear to Iran under an EU-backed international policing initiative. The idea was that the NV gear would help countries catch drug smugglers, in this case heroin from Afghanistan. At the time, the EU was also in receipt Europol (the EU police force) reports that showed the largest smuggler in the region was Iran itself. Israel was an associate state of the EU (one step off full EU member), so here was the UN supplying banned military equipment to a known terrorist-supplying state, which was highly likely to pass it on to an EU-listed terrorist organization for use against a "special" trading partner of the EU, and against the recommendation of another part of the EU! When asked to account for the farce, the UN and EU hierarchies stated there was no issue, that the Iranians had given them "cast-iron guarantees" that the kit would not wander, therefore they were blameless! The only unsurprising part of the whole affair was that no UN nor EU bureaucrat lost their jobs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like