back to article Lycamobile offices 'raided over fraud allegations' – report

The offices of telecoms giant Lycamobile have been raided in France amid allegations of fraud and money laundering. Nineteen people were arrested in Paris last week and nine of them were charged on Friday, including Lycamobile’s general manager in France, Alain Jochimek, reported Buzzfeed. The Register has contacted UK- …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quelle surprise

Is anyone surprised at this news? I doubt it. Time will tell but the next argument will be on whether the Conservative Party can sit on those donations...

1. tmTM

Re: Quelle surprise

because a company that advertises in phone boxes and grimey shop doorways is definitely going to be 100% legit.

2. wolfetone Silver badge

Cue Father Ted Quote..

"But that money was just resting in my account.."

3. Efros

I smell a refund

Or perhaps the handing over of funds to the SFO.

1. James 51

Re: I smell a refund

With the general level ability displayed by the SFO we'll end up paying Lycamobile for something.

4. x 7

throw them to the wolves!

5. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Rucksacks full of cash is just “day to day banking”? Yeah, right.

Who do these clowns think they are?

1. jonathanb Silver badge

I thought they sold through the retail channel, and on their website, rather than from their own shops. That would mean that the retailers would pay the cash into their own bank accounts, and transfer the money less their commission to Lycamobile. Direct sale from the website would arrive in their bank account via Paypal or whatever they use to collect the money.

1. Youngone Silver badge

I too wondered where all the cash came from. Would anyone buy a phone with cash?

Not many would be my guess.

2. Ray Merrall

Suggest you read the original article on Buzzfeed, makes interesting points that directly questions Cameron's integrity.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Suggest you read the original article on Buzzfeed,

Follow the links. Especially this one: https://www.buzzfeed.com/tomwarren/ghost-companies-paying-lyca-millions?utm_term=.ado6Jb2K8#.iryqN8A4y

Not surprised. Aligns very well with the type of character to buy "memorabilia" as a form of donation at a Tory funding ball. The last election ones guest lists made for a very interesting reading.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon