back to article Lone hacker claims to have broken into US Democrat servers

A lone hacker claims to have been the person who broke into the Democratic National Committee (DNC) servers, and has posted several files online as "proof." The hacker, going by the name Guccifer 2, created a new Wordpress blog Wednesday and posted several confidential files as well as a taunting rebuke to the security company …

1. asdf
    Trollface

my question

Does Mr. Liddy have internet access?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> Trump attack doc

Actually his Playboy (and other) interviews do a decent enough job on their own.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Someone recently claimed to have invented BitCoin and t'tubes took ages to work out that was sadly deluded bollocks.

*sigh* this will run ...

4. Mr.Mischief

Dirty tactics?

<tinfoilhat>

I'm wondering if this is someone that the Republicans hired to do some dirty digging, and when they did they found a way to try to stop the Democrat's chances?

Just looking at "who benefits"?

</tinfoilhat>

1. Eddy Ito

Re: Dirty tactics?

All you've said is either the red team hires better hackers or has better security than the blue team. Although that would also explain why Feinstein wants to ban encryption, she knows the blue team doesn't do it well. LOL

2. thomas k

Re: Dirty tactics?

By that logic it could just as easily have been the Dems that released it, to give themselves cover - "oh, these were internal documents for our own use, we would never have released any of this to the public, no, no, no".

5. GrumpyKiwi
    FAIL

Server set up by the same losers who did Clinton's "Incredibly safe and secure" email server with the open VNC ports?

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

Hillary's obsession with P.U.T.I.N. as the MUSTACHIOED NAZI MAN

One would think that anything that doesn't go quite right with the Democratic Powwow will be laid at the feet of P.U.T.I.N. and his merry men.

Doesn't mean any of that is true.

(Meanwhile, democratic mobs will attack Trumpsters in the street, but that's for another discussion)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hillary's obsession with P.U.T.I.N. as the MUSTACHIOED NAZI MAN

Follow the money. Defense contractors are big campaign contributors. Conflict with Russia is good for business.

7. veti Silver badge

"... much of the data within the files is several years old"

Sounds pretty authentic to me. Lots of organisations will hoard countless old versions of files on their main server, while (depending on their own competence) using only up-to-date versions for actual operations.

If there are old files - well, it's far from conclusive, but it is consistent with the "hacked DNC server" story.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "... much of the data within the files is several years old"

I concur. Multiple donor databases spreadsheets, duplicate records, decade-old records mixed in with new records, no dates, no sources, inconsistent opt-in/out... par for the course.

8. Captain DaFt

Lone hacker claims to have broken into US Democrat servers

Frankly, I believe him.

Probably all it took was a "LOLZ, Click here to see what Dummy Trump effed up today" email attachment.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lone hacker claims to have broken into US Democrat servers

Russians? Why not the Norks? Oh yeah, that's already been done.

Guccifer looks and sounds a lot like a Lone Gunman to me. But it sounds much scarier if clever, evil Russian script kiddies were to blame. Even if they exist, they probably just walked through an open or broken screen door.

Serious bad guys would try to sell juicy info or use it for some leverage. State-sponsored actors would have waited until after the election or just stick it in the political-dirt piggybank for future reference.

Crowdstrike (and HRC) should really know that security by obscurity is not a good strategy, but perhaps that is why the DNC uses them. There is honor amongst CYA artists.

The leaked Donald Trump report is fun to read, even if it just confirms what we already know. Can't say HRC is as transparent. Could that eventually become her Achilles heel? Nothing would surprise me in this election year. What happened to the indictment rumors about her mail server shenanigans? Is this some elaborate form of damage control?

I can already see the Donald holding up his report and shouting "I have here in my hand, proof.... that my Democratic opponent is a lying, sneaky, conniving b*ch who will do anything to get elected".

It's starting to look like a House of Cards episode.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Lone hacker claims to have broken into US Democrat servers

This is way better than House of Cards. They can't make this shit up, nobody would take the show seriously. Putin's people and/or lone hacker(s) threatening to release Hillary's emails if the FBI doesn't act in time to stop her? ROFL

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If that Trump document is the best the DNC can do...

They need to hire better people. Those who have read through it say it is basically a collection of news articles and other public domain stories, carefully indexed and commented upon. There is no original research, no smoking guns of things that weren't already known.

However, it is dated December, and back then the DNC probably didn't think there was much chance of Trump actually winning the republican nomination and probably still had their eyes on guys like Bush and Rubio. I'm sure they have been putting more attention into opposition research against him the last couple months.

In reality, the solution to beating Trump was never going to come from a document like this anyway. It is going to come from Trump's own big mouth.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like