back to article Facebook suicide hotline

Facebook is rolling out suicide prevention features for all users globally. The social network says that its new feature will allow users to tag posts from their friends when they believe people might be in danger of harming themselves. The reporting user remains anonymous. The person will then receive a message from Facebook …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook causes depression and anxiety, and quitting is the best thing you can do for your mental health.

2. Mark 85

After the article earlier about memory manipulation and what that entails and now this, it looks like FB really is headed toward an Orwellian reality. Or maybe Huxley's "Brave New World"?

3. Buzzword

Can we also have a terrorist hotline on Facebook? E.g. I'm concerned about someone's extremist postings, and their last check-in was at the Starbucks next door to the Guns & Ammo superstore; perhaps Facebook could send some cat videos their way to calm them down.

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

And here I thought Facebook was preparing to do the right thing...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook-Suicide-watch...

In partnership with the US government.... We need more volunteers for our "Parallax-View" program... It'll help with recruiting, as we always need more patsies...

6. Kane

Confused...

'"Now, with the help of these new tools, if someone posts something on Facebook that makes you concerned about their well-being, you can reach out to them directly," Facebook global head of safety Antigone Davis and researcher Jennifer Guadagno said.'

"The reporting user remains anonymous."

So which is it?

7. adnim
    Devil

I can't help being cynical

"The person will then receive a message from Facebook stating that someone is concerned about them, as well as links to resources such as suicide prevention hotlines."

No sponsored links to local gun smiths or pharmacies then?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I can't help being cynical

In other words: "nobody (human) cares about you."

Cue rise in suicides...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When I'm feeling suicidal, I prefer to ask 4chan for help.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon