back to article Time Warner Cable, you've 'earned your miserable reputation' – NY Attorney General

The New York's Attorney General office is taking Time Warner Cable (TWC) to task for its poor service in the Big Apple. In an open letter to the recently embiggened US cable giant, enforcement counsel Tim Wu laid into TWC for failing to live up to its promises and provide adequate service. "In short, what we have seen in our …

1. Mark 85
    Holmes

Funny thing how this now comes out AFTER the merger was approved... But still, it's a "no-shit Sherlock" moment on why they have the reputation they do.

2. Sebastian A

Anyone surprised?

Reputations for horrible service don't just coagulate out of thin air. It takes years or decades of persistantly poor service for a company name to become as synonymous with mediocrity as TWC has. The fact that it's even trying to defend itself is laughable. Admit fault, take it on the chin, and above all, do something to fix these issues. Maybe then, in a few years, people can give you another chance.

And for god's sake, stop using your area monopolies to fuck people over.

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Anyone surprised?

But fixing things costs money! Better to just keep screwing over the dumb people who still sign up for their services and taking the money and running!

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Anyone surprised?

Not so much as dumb as too damn poor to do anything about it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds like the AG is going to put the arm on TimeWarner for millions, after which they can continue to provide crappy service.

Think of it as a license to screw you.

We see this scenario play out over and over in the US.

4. AlexS

Naughty naughty slap hand. Now give me some money for congress...

5. zen1

face palm

not just limited to new york!

6. Commswonk

Am I the only person...

who thinks this article is a bit lacking in detail? All the talk about poor performance and the like but no mention of any figures so that we can all see how "bad" it really is and compare it with our own ISP's offerings.

7. hellwig
    Joke

What is TWC?

I've heard of Comcast/Xfinity, Charter Spectrum, Cox... I do not know of this "Time Warner Cable" of which you speak. Seems to me NY sat on its hands for too long. Oh well.

1. Dan Paul

Re: What is TWC?

Time Warner is only in the East Coast area. They were formerly Adelphia Cable until the TW deal. Now they are part of Charter Communications new company Spectrum.

Different name, same crap service. Supposed to be getting 30 Meg down and 2 up and get 15 down and 1 up. Call service, they come and it goes back up for a few days until someone else complains about speed and then they reapportion the bandwidth to the next complaining customer.

The fact is they are way over the required bandwidth and will never get ahead.

In the meantime, clowns like Verizon will not live up to promises to provide fiber everywhere in upstate NY and AT&T thinks they can get these 30 meg speeds out of wireless RELIABLY!? NOT EVER!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Feelin' old

Before this internet thing existed it was the phone companies that had the reputation for being Hotbeds For The Spawning Of Total Incompetence. Now even they look better than the cable companies and as far as I can tell nothing changed at the phone companies.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Feelin' old

Believe me, nothing has changed with the phone companies. I worked for one for a while in this decade. You would not believe how old and decrepit their system is. I'm amazed it works at all.

1. DJV Silver badge

@ecofeco

Maybe the cotton strung between the baked bean cans is in dire need of upgrading to string.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like