back to article McDonald's says bigger fonts cooked up improved profits

Burger baron McDonalds has attributed stronger financial performance to, in part, enlarging the point size of the fonts it uses on the chits sent to its chefs and customers. McDonalds has had a rotten few years on the financial front, as customers desert it for healthier, newer or more interesting fast food options. Attempts …

1. Mark 85

therefore make it more fun to buy food at McDonalds.

I somehow don't make the connection of fun, food, and McDonalds... It just seems like at best 2 out 3 is possible. Unless you're 5 years old and get a fun meal... maybe.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Take it as meaning less not-fun to go to McDonald's.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"fun" seems to be world widely misused by marketing types who have no actual idea of what fun is.

I've even seen our own marketing types use phrase such as "make buying a more fun process". We sell to corporates, govt. education. I'd have thought "sober" rather than "fun" would be more appropriate.

These people seem to live in some sort of alternate self perpetuating world of buzz words where meanings are inverted or maybe "mean whatever I say they mean"

1. Chemical Bob

Yup, Humpty Dumpty is running the asylum.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really? Fonts?

I'm wondering why McD aims to make us believe that font sizes caused more profit - it's almost as if they want people not to look to carefully where the real profit came from ..

1. jzl

Re: Really? Fonts?

It's peeeeeeople!!!

1. Nolveys

It's peeeeeeople!!!

I preferred their other slogan, "Did somebody say diabetic retinopathy"?

2. Loud Speaker

I take it you are referring to the fact that the size of McD's customers is measured in kg, not points.

1. TRT Silver badge

They measure the type size in ems. Emmmmm... does that come with regular fries? I can't quite make out the small print.

2. DrXym

"CEO Stephen J. Easterbrook detailed myriad process improvements that have been made to make individual outlets more efficient and therefore make it more fun to buy food at McDonalds."

I expect it's a combination of lots of things and this is just one that the article happened to focus on.

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Really? Fonts?

Read the transcript - he called out fonts as an example of a small thing that is making a difference

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Read the transcript - he called out fonts as an example of a small thing that is making a difference

You had to go and ruin a perfectly good conspiracy theory. You're no fun.

1. TRT Silver badge

You ruin far fewer orders when you can read the special requests through your hot-fat-spatter-scarred corneas.

1. Robert Helpmann??
              Childcatcher

The next thing you know, some researcher will claim that customers and staff being able to understand each other at the drive in line will lead to a better experience for both. Blasphemy!

Caveat: I avoid McDonald's under the assumption that what is provided there is neither fast nor food.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Caveat: I avoid McDonald's under the assumption that what is provided there is neither fast nor food."

Upvoted for that. All these places are the same. They treat you like you are the one in the wrong if you don't know exactly what you want the moment you walk in the door. They are not "first timer" or "occasional user" friendly. They only really cater for the regulars who don't need to read the "menu" and know what they want. And if you ask for anything slightly off the "core" menu, as you say, it's not "fast".

I can, with some measure of certainty, walk into my local chippy and walk out with what I want in far less time than these new fangled so-called "fast food" places.

1. Sherrie Ludwig

I can, with some measure of certainty, walk into my local chippy and walk out with what I want in far less time than these new fangled so-called "fast food" places.

I wish we had those on the left side of the pond. I haven't found a proper one anywhere here.

"I wish we had those on the left side of the pond. I haven't found a proper one anywhere here."

Google a recipe/instructions. It's actually very easy to make deep fried battered fish at home. Especially if you live in the south and are are partial to (and have the equipment for) deep frying a whole chicken ::-)

It can be a bit of an art, so find one that looks good and follow the instructions precisely. Like breadmaking, a slight variation in ingredient proportions can significantly affect the outcome.

1. entropyk48

Really? Giving the customer what they actually ordered would increase sales? Really? Wow! Who would have thought?

2. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Re: Really? Fonts? reciepts

Well , nice that they've manged to teach the staff to read .

Next perhaps they could embark on a project to produce some kind of legible menu system for the customers , instead of several large billboards above the counter all informing me that the latest Disney movie themed burger stack, with a drink and some cold fries thrown in, is near to ten quid.

3. Mage Silver badge
    Coat

Happy Meal

Meal Deal?

I'm here for a snack, because you are the only one open here. I'd go to a real restaurant if I wanted a meal.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Happy Meal

I've driven another 40 miles down a motorway with my stomach growling to avoid having to stop at a mcdonalds for food...

If I go to a McDonalds, its because I am so hungry i'd eat cardboard, which I still think they use to make the burgers, even though they say their 100% beef.. But really to me 100% beef is not a good thing for a burger! it should be in the 80-90% range, depending on herbs, spices etc added to ensure a good favour.

1. Nick Woodruffe

Ah, what they mean is the meat used in the burger is 100% beef with no horse, chicken or other substitute meats added. What the burger actually contains is more likely to be the beef along with binding agents, fillers and other crap.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

What the burger actually contains is more likely to be the beef along with binding agents, fillers and other crap.

Don't forget that "beef" probably doesn't mean steak, or even 100% meat + reasonable fat content. It'll surely include udder, rectum, anus, lips, nostrils, eyeballs, bladder, spleen etc.

"Food beyond compare, food beyond belief,

mix it in a mincer and pretend it's beef...."

1. DrXym

"Don't forget that "beef" probably doesn't mean steak, or even 100% meat + reasonable fat content. It'll surely include udder, rectum, anus, lips, nostrils, eyeballs, bladder, spleen etc."

McDonalds burgers are 100% beef. In the UK, Ireland and rest of Europe that would mean abiding by the EU definition of what meat is - "skeletal muscle with naturally included or adherent fat and connective tissue". i.e. cuts of meat which are ground up, chopped and formed into burgers.

Perhaps the definition differs in other regions. The US for example is notoriously bad at cracking down on food practice. So-called "pink slime" is mechanically separated meat particles which have been centrifugally spun to remove fat and treated with ammonia to kill bugs which is reintroduced with chopped meat. Lots of places use it to cut corners. McDonalds did too but don't know apparently.

2. TRT Silver badge

Yum! Rectum burger.

Surely a rectum burger would be a doughnut?

1. skeptical i

Actually, John, it'd be calamari (cite: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/484/doppelgangers ).

2. TRT Silver badge

Not sure, they'd cut the end off and flatten the rectum out to make the burger, no? Anyway, whatever they do with the cut off sphincters, I'm not ordering the onion rings.

2. Mark 85
              Devil

Don't order Chitterlings here in the States then... not quite a Rectum Burger....

3. Chemical Bob

Re: udder, rectum, anus, lips, nostrils, eyeballs, bladder, spleen

When I were a lad we used to dreeeeam of eating spleen....

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If I go to a McDonalds, its because I am so hungry i'd eat cardboard, which I still think they use to make the burgers, even though they say their 100% beef

They must have a patent on making any kind of meat taste like cardboard...

4. MartinB105

Makes sense for people with vision similar to mine

I avoid places like McDonald's where the only available menu is near the ceiling behind the counter, because it's almost impossible for me to read any smaller items at that distance. Therefore increasing font sizes would help me a lot.

(I wouldn't go to McDonald's regardless of being able to read the menu though)

1. Just Enough

Re: Makes sense for people with vision similar to mine

Agree completely. My eyesight isn't what it used to be in my youth, and there's nothing surer to turn me into a grumpy old man than minuscule font sizes on menus.

(But it would take more than font size to get me into McDonalds.)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

I find coffee shops far worse for using small illegible fonts way up behind the counter, lit by strips that then obscure the prices further. Costa, particularly the one under the stairs in Waterloo Station, are the absolute worst.

3. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

"only available menu is near the ceiling behind the counter"

too true , and that menu only has the latest themed burger on it.

To find the actual menu , with the bargains on it , you need to go down to the cellar , in the locked filing cabinet with the sign saying "beware of the leopard"

5. jake Silver badge

Do actual humans still eat at McDs?

Not in my experience ... all they draw is sheeple.

1. Hollerithevo

Re: Do actual humans still eat at McDs?

Who over the age of 15 uses 'sheeple'? Or was this post-modern irony or w/evs?

2. Chemical Bob

Re: Do actual humans still eat at McDs?

If you eat at McDonald's frequently enough you become a meat byproduct.

6. thomas k

McRib

If they offered the McRib year-round, I'd eat there year-round.

1. Fortycoats

Re: McRib

Then move to Germany. Available all the time (except when they're serving breakfast. The all-day breakfast hasn't reached these shores yet)

2. kain preacher

Re: McRib

In the US the McRib is nasty.

7. Buzzword

Serves a purpose

If you're the star of this week's On-Call, and have driven half-way across the country to plug in a dot-matrix printer, you might welcome a quick break in McD's to wolf down before the long drive home. Not all of us have the time or the money or the patience to search out somewhere better when away from home.

8. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

the fonts it uses on the chits sent to its chefs

Really? The Evil Beef Clown actually employs *chefs*?!?!

1. TitterYeNot

"Really? The Evil Beef Clown actually employs *chefs*?!?!"

Yes, I think they forgot the quotes around the word media studies graduates "chefs"...

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Maybe they are "little chefs". Someone had to employ them.

9. PaulAb

Yes but...

If they would just forget the big letters and put a ramp at the drive through (or thru, not sure which) window so that as you go past on two wheels you could get an under body protection coating.

Maybe not as good as turtle wax, but free. I hate to smell all that grease going to waste.

1. Nick Woodruffe

Re: Yes but...

When I worked in McDonalds (mid 1980's) the old fat was collected in 50 gallon drums and given to the local farmers.

We may all knock the food but working there taught me quite a lot about processes.

2. Chemical Bob

Re: Yes but...

" I hate to smell all that grease going to waste."

Then hold your nose.

BTW, ya misspelt waist.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mmmmmm

If they did breakfast all day (as the only menu option) or as a previous commentard above states sold the McRib, then they would make an absolute fortune.

McDs coffee is the closest thing to actual coffee from all of the chains (inc 'coffee' shops like Costa and the like).

All of their pork related products are awesome.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mmmmmm

All of their pork related products are awesome.

Not just McDs...all pork-related products are awesome because bacon

11. phuzz Silver badge
    Meh

When I go into McD's it's not because I want food, it's because I want filth.

A BurgerKing burger tastes like a really bad beefburger, a BigMac tastes like fast food, containing no organic matter whatsoever.

I don't often get the urge, but when I want fast food, I want something that tastes like it's never been near a living creature.

Shit, I'm hungry now :(

12. MonkeyCee

McDs

For me it's the breakfasts. About the only thing I'll eat there, and if the sausage muffins where an all day item I'd be a lot happier. If the ones in Maastricht opened before 10am, I'd probably eat breakfast 2-3 times a week. Instead it's Albert Hein and a free coffee :)

For there "regular" options I don't see the point. BK at least makes an effort to have cheapish options (2 euro for a BK King, 3 for a double cheeseburger meal), and if I want to spend the 6-7 euro I'll go to pub and get a burger there.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: McDs

If you'd actually read the article, you'd have noticed "all-day breakfast" is now a thing.

So the sausage muffins are now indeed "an all day item" at least in the US.

Our McDonald's open at 6am as well, and quite a few are 24hr drive-thru.

13. Richard Wharram

Bigger Fonts?

Helvetica Neue is about 40KB if I remember correctly. I fail to see how changing that could increase sales. I'd say it's more likely to be due to the larger point sizes mentioned elsewhere in the article.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bigger Fonts?

I'm pretty sure all points are the same size. Every point is exactly one point in size.

I always wanted to own a house with a larger square metre size, but don't have any urge to have a bigger house.

"I'm pretty sure all points are the same size. Every point is exactly one point in size."

According to the fount of all knowledge...

"In typography, the point is the smallest unit of measure. It is used for measuring font size, leading, and other items on a printed page. The size of the point has varied throughout the history of printing. Since the 18th century, the point's size has varied from 0.18 to 0.4 millimetres. Following the advent of desktop publishing in the 1980s and 1990s, digital printing has largely supplanted the letterpress printing and has established the DTP point (desktop publishing point) as the de facto standard. The DTP point is defined as 1⁄72 of an international inch (about 0.353 mm) and, as with earlier American point sizes, is considered to be 1⁄12 of a pica."

Please note, I corrected the spelling of "millimeters[sic]" above. If the USA doesn't want to go metric then they have no right to change the spelling! ;-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Clearly the writer is using the correct meaning of the word "font" which includes its size (and can therefore be "bigger") and not this new-fangled meaning invented by Apple.

To be pedantic, font itself is new fangled. It's a fount if you want be "proper".

"The word font (traditionally spelled fount in British English, but in any case pronounced /fɒnt/) derives from Middle French fonte "[something that has been] melted; a casting".[1] The term refers to the process of casting metal type at a type foundry."

Bloody yanks stealing all our U's.

1. Mark 85
          Headmaster

Well, you stole the French and added a "u". We merely gave you the "u" back.

14. ecofeco Silver badge

Whodda thunk it?

Something that is easier to read leads to increased efficiency and productivity?

Has the world gone mad?! I thought it was design LAW, WRITTEN IN STONE, that type should be as small as possible and some color that is low contrast to the background! /s

Yes hipster designers, I am talking to you, dumbasses. And your MBA bosses who just THINK they are designers.

15. rogerk

They do not taste like real potato fries, yes once they did, long ago..

1. Sherrie Ludwig

They do not taste like real potato fries, yes once they did, long ago

Because sometime in the 1980s somebody vegetarian noticed that McD's fries were fried in beef tallow, and were really tasty. They then got all their vegetarian people together and whinged that they couldn't eat there because the fries were not vegetarian. and besides, frying in veg oil would be just as good and healthier (somehow). So, McD changed to vegetable oil, and the fry quality plummeted. So, they bowed to a bunch of non-customers who wouldn't be caught dead in there anyway.

I might venture in for more than coffee if they bought back "legacy" or "original" fries, and fried 'em in beef tallow like God intended.

16. Roj Blake Silver badge

Curry in a Hurry

I would happily again eat in McDonalds if they brought back their 1999 Indian range - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbl9h4KEIlg

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon