back to article 'Massive great big' vulture goes AWOL in Somerset

A "massive great big" vulture which went missing over the West Country last week is still at large, and its owners are asking members of the public to keep an eye out for the "hard to miss" bird. Arthur, an 11-year-old white-headed vulture, was swept away by strong winds during a display at the Bath & West Show in Shepton …

1. M7S
    Big Brother

About the only picture of a spreadeagled 11yo that wont get you into trouble

although I expect my post title will now raise the scrutiny on my account somewhat...

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Coat

Re: About the only picture of a spreadeagled 11yo that wont get you into trouble

For bonus points on the "add me to every government watchlist ever" stakes, append other ornithological terms to your search..

"... with Tits or Boobies and possible impressive Shags"

Fetching my coat with its copy of RSPB Birds Of Britain in the pocket.

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Re: About the only picture of a spreadeagled 11yo that wont get you into trouble

Fancy a Cornish Chough?

2. msknight

Well, at least there's little chance of it being mistaken for the great white lab-coated vulture, native to London. Anyone who spots it is reportedly encouraged to placate the beast with pints of beer and bacon sandwiches while flavouring the air with fumes of pipe tobacco.

Calling the authorities to collect this bird will result in no action whatsoever being taken, except for maybe the appearance of other beings carrying another white coat, but of the variety with long sleeves that, rather than assisting flight, are aimed at doing the reverse.

1. PNGuinn
      Coat

@ msknight

Fail.

You forgot t'icon.

1. msknight

Re: @ msknight

@PNGuinn

My excuse, not enough coffee... and I'm sticking to it :-) ... (the excuse, not the coffee... which should flow smoothly...)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You would think

That in this day and age of microchipped pets, something this rare / valuble would have a GPS collar

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You would think

Or maybe that technology (whispers) isn't all it's cracked up to be ?

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Of course it is! I saw a GPS tracking device the size of a fingernail that works under water and in tunnels only the other day on [insert US TV drama].

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

That's nothing. IBM was advertising RFID tags that let you know where your goods were in the middle of a desert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAvQcYcvyaw

4. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Well

Who's a pretty boy then?

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Re: Well

Thank you.

5. cortland

Has anyone inquired

of Vulture Central?

6. hi_robb

hmm.

If you see it, carrion...

/Gets dragged stage left

7. noboard

Bloody big bird

Over Salisbury Plain yesterday. MIght just have to contact them.

1. Santa from Exeter
      Joke

Re: Bloody big bird

I think you'll find that was a Hercules

2. drand

Re: Bloody big bird

perhaps a Great Bustard if it was over Salisbury Plain, recently[ish] re-introduced to the UK.

8. Fink-Nottle

Sounds like Pear Tree Productions is handling the PR for Birds of Prey Displays - pure Alan Partridge!

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Partridge does know a cracking owl sanctuary.

9. Tom 7

So thats what we had on the barbie yesterday

belch!

10. SW10
    FAIL

"massive great big"

Surely you're not quoting from the proper press release. No-one in the West Country would say "massive great big" vulture.

It's a "massive gurt" vulture.

11. Roger Varley

Optimism required

"The white-headed vulture - Trigonoceps occipitalis - is native to sub-Saharan Africa and under threat of extinction in the wild."

We'll just have to hope that the local swivel-eyed loons are more intelligent than the swivel-eyed loons around here, otherwise the damn thing will be going extinct in the West Country too.

1. Rich 11

Re: Optimism required

"Scrotum! Pass me me pistol. I'll see if I can't bring the blighter down in the lake."

1. Roger Varley

+1 for the Viv Stanshall reference, I haven't listened to Sir Henry at Rawlinsons End in absolute yonks.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

There is an old cartoon by 'Pont' which shows a tweedy ex-major type rushing through his drawing romm while enthusiastically readying his shotgun.

Caption: "There is a most unusual looking bird on the lawn!"

12. energystar
    Trollface

These Beasts really good to the ecosystem [Not like us]. Best wishes on Search & Rescue Teams.

13. frank ly

Methodology?

"Anyone who does eyeball the magnificent beast is asked not to approach him "as he will spook away", but rather to call handler Ben Potter, ..."

Does he lie on the ground and pretend to be dead then grab its legs when it comes down to have a look?

14. Mark 85

He's probably flying home as there's no lady vultures in this neighborhood.

15. PNGuinn
    Flame

Splat!

How many hv electricity switching centres are there in the area?

Enquiring minds need a torch or three....

16. davidp231

Maybe it's mission is complete and it's returning to it's base: Vulture Central.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon